Edit Metadata Tags for Export

https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/a4136f59 refers.

I just wanted to say why there was this discrepancy. IIRC, Paul made this
change to the Metadata Editor window title (but only for single export) when
Undo/Redo Exported Tags was made a separate item on the Undo Stack.

So an alternative solution would have been to add "for Export" to the
two strings in ExportMultiple.cpp.

I think I marginally prefer the change James made to remove "for Export"
when exporting. Otherwise we could be implying that changing the tags
during export does not change the project metadata, when it does.

Re: Edit Metadata Tags for Export

Peter Sampson-2
Gale wrote:
>I think I marginally prefer the change James made to remove "for Export"
>when exporting. Otherwise we could be implying that changing the tags
>during export does not change the project metadata, when it does.

+1

In fact I strongly prefer the way James made the change.

Re: Edit Metadata Tags for Export

I generally assume that wording on
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Wording is agreed wording, and so OK
to commit.

I will, when I'm RM, look at that page before entry to freeze, and make
changes then if they haven't been made already.  That way translators
can work on them.  I might optionally do changes at other times too, as
I have here, if prompted.

We are agreed not to use Bug 1427 to flag that there is something
waiting there.  I'm fine with not using that bug.  It does mean that if
I don't act on the changes when prompted, I may not get around to it
until next freeze, because I might not be aware of pending changes
planned when reviewing bug status.  That's fine by me too.

--James.

On 3/1/2017 6:58 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/a4136f59 refers.
>
> I just wanted to say why there was this discrepancy. IIRC, Paul made this
> change to the Metadata Editor window title (but only for single export) when
> Undo/Redo Exported Tags was made a separate item on the Undo Stack.
>
> So an alternative solution would have been to add "for Export" to the
> two strings in ExportMultiple.cpp.
>
> I think I marginally prefer the change James made to remove "for Export"
> when exporting. Otherwise we could be implying that changing the tags
> during export does not change the project metadata, when it does.

Re: Edit Metadata Tags for Export

Neither the "Wording" page, or the compromise I suggested
on another thread of using 1427 "Steps to Reproduce" instead
of "Wording", automatically convey consensus or not. There
was a possible alternative view of the correct fix for this subject
issue, and of course there may be possible alternative wordings
for other issues that come up.

Other than a typo, consensus can't be assumed until a few days
have passed.

If we do go back to using 1427, which does have benefit that it
conveys rating, perhaps we could have a "Some undecided" flag
or similar. Unless for a typo issue, that flag would be set when
adding a new issue.

Presence of the flag means that the committer has to look more
carefully at the "Steps to reproduce" and the history.

If no flag they can just go ahead.

Gale