Quantcast

Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi all

I am attaching a patch that includes the following changes:

1. Added a new set of functions under "Edit->Labeled Regions" designed
to work on selected labels. With this change, for example, it is
possible to silence all regions marked by labels in a label track by
selecting the label track and then choosing Edit->Labeled
Regions->Silence. Other functions implemented are Delete, Split
Delete, Join and Disjoin.

2. When clicking on a Label textbox, if other tracks are selected,
only those tracks remain selected with the selection region changed to
the label boundaries. With this, it is possible to select only certain
tracks with the label.

3. When Tab key is used to change from one label to another, the
selection doesn't get refreshed. This has been fixed.

4. Fixed a bug in the Disjoin function that ignored silent regions
towards the end of a clip.

5. Fixed another minor bug in the Join function to handle cases where
there are no clips to delete.

If there are no errors or objections, I will commit this when CVS is back up.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

060402.patch (17K) Download Attachment

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

dmazzoni
Arun,

This is awesome.  This is exactly the way I had hoped the label track
would evolve but never got around to finishing it.  Looking forward to
playing with it.

- Dominic

Arun Kishore wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am attaching a patch that includes the following changes:
>
> 1. Added a new set of functions under "Edit->Labeled Regions" designed
> to work on selected labels. With this change, for example, it is
> possible to silence all regions marked by labels in a label track by
> selecting the label track and then choosing Edit->Labeled
> Regions->Silence. Other functions implemented are Delete, Split
> Delete, Join and Disjoin.
>
> 2. When clicking on a Label textbox, if other tracks are selected,
> only those tracks remain selected with the selection region changed to
> the label boundaries. With this, it is possible to select only certain
> tracks with the label.
>
> 3. When Tab key is used to change from one label to another, the
> selection doesn't get refreshed. This has been fixed.
>
> 4. Fixed a bug in the Disjoin function that ignored silent regions
> towards the end of a clip.
>
> 5. Fixed another minor bug in the Join function to handle cases where
> there are no clips to delete.
>
> If there are no errors or objections, I will commit this when CVS is back up.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Dominic, all

Now that CVS is back up again, I have committed the patch I had sent earlier. I have added Cut, Split Cut, Copy and Split functions to the set. The "Cut" operation merges the labeled regions on every track and puts the multitrack result on the clipboard. I have also added short cut keys for most of the functions.

It builds and works fine on my Linux machine. Please let me know if there are any errors on Windows or Mac.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

Dominic Mazzoni wrote

Arun Kishore wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am attaching a patch that includes the following changes:
>
> 1. Added a new set of functions under "Edit->Labeled Regions" designed
> to work on selected labels. With this change, for example, it is
> possible to silence all regions marked by labels in a label track by
> selecting the label track and then choosing Edit->Labeled
> Regions->Silence. Other functions implemented are Delete, Split
> Delete, Join and Disjoin.
>
> 2. When clicking on a Label textbox, if other tracks are selected,
> only those tracks remain selected with the selection region changed to
> the label boundaries. With this, it is possible to select only certain
> tracks with the label.
>
> 3. When Tab key is used to change from one label to another, the
> selection doesn't get refreshed. This has been fixed.
>
> 4. Fixed a bug in the Disjoin function that ignored silent regions
> towards the end of a clip.
>
> 5. Fixed another minor bug in the Join function to handle cases where
> there are no clips to delete.
>
> If there are no errors or objections, I will commit this when CVS is back up.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Martyn Shaw
Arun

I get

------ Build started: Project: Audacity, Configuration: Unicode_Debug Win32
------
Compiling...
Menus.cpp
..\src\Menus.cpp(1247) : error C2065:  'mLastSelectionAdjustment' :
undeclared identifier
..\src\Menus.cpp(1431) :  error C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackPan' : function
does not take 1  arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1436) : error C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackPanLeft'  :
function does not take 1 arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1441) : error C2660:  'TrackPanel::OnTrackPanRight' :
function does not take 1  arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1446) : error C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackGain' :  function
does not take 1 arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1451) : error C2660:  'TrackPanel::OnTrackGainInc' :
function does not take 1  arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1456) : error C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackGainDec'  :
function does not take 1 arguments
..\src\Menus.cpp(1466) : warning C4800:  'Track *' : forcing value to bool
'true' or 'false' (performance  warning)
..\src\Menus.cpp(1470) : warning C4800: 'Track *' : forcing value to  bool
'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
..\src\Menus.cpp(1474) : error  C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackClose' : function
does not take 1 arguments
Build  log was saved at
"_file://c:\Audacity\Audacity\audacity\win\Unicode_Debug\BuildLog.htm_
(file://c:\Audacity\Audacity\audacity\win\Unicode_Debug\BuildLog.htm) "
Audacity  - 8 error(s), 2 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0  up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Martyn

Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

> Arun,
>
> This is awesome.  This is exactly the way I had hoped the label  track
> would evolve but never got around to finishing it.  Looking  forward to
> playing with it.
>
> - Dominic
>

> Arun Kishore wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am  attaching a patch that includes the following changes:
>>
>>  1. Added a new set of functions under "Edit->Labeled Regions"  designed
>> to work on selected labels. With this change, for example,  it is
>> possible to silence all regions marked by labels in a label  track by
>> selecting the label track and then choosing  Edit->Labeled
>> Regions->Silence. Other functions implemented  are Delete, Split
>> Delete, Join and Disjoin.
>>
>>  2. When clicking on a Label textbox, if other tracks are selected,
>>  only those tracks remain selected with the selection region changed  to
>> the label boundaries. With this, it is possible to select only  certain
>> tracks with the label.
>>
>> 3. When Tab  key is used to change from one label to another, the
>> selection  doesn't get refreshed. This has been fixed.
>>
>> 4. Fixed a  bug in the Disjoin function that ignored silent regions
>> towards the  end of a clip.
>>
>> 5. Fixed another minor bug in the Join  function to handle cases where
>> there are no clips to  delete.
>>
>> If there are no errors or objections, I will  commit this when CVS is back
>> up.
>>
>> Best  regards
>> Arun Kishore

> language
>  that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
>  webcast
> and join the prime developer group breaking into this new  coding
> territory!
>  http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Martyn

I am confused by the errors. Are those from a fresh CVS check out ? It looks like the errors and line numbers do not correspond to my version of Menus.cpp and it says my version is up-to-date. Any ideas ? Could you also confirm if the same errors appear with a fresh checkout ?

Best regards
Arun Kishore

MartynShaw wrote

Martyn

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Martyn Shaw
Arun

It now compiles and runs fine for me.

For some unknown reason, TortoiseCVS ws telling me that menus.cpp was up to
date but I had version 1.210 from last November!  I don't know if I had  done
something wrong or if it was the recent CVS problem, probably me.  I  have had
a later version and had edited it but will merge the differences.   I am
still waiting for the (promised) code to highlight the focused track.

Martyn

MartynShaw wrote:

> Arun
>
> I get
>
> ------ Build started: Project: Audacity,  Configuration: Unicode_Debug
> Win32
> ------
>  Compiling...
> Menus.cpp
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1247) : error  C2065:  'mLastSelectionAdjustment' :
> undeclared identifier
>  ..\src\Menus.cpp(1431) :  error C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackPan' : function

> does not take 1  arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1436) : error  C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackPanLeft'  :
> function does not take 1  arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1441) : error C2660:   'TrackPanel::OnTrackPanRight' :
> function does not take 1   arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1446) : error C2660:  'TrackPanel::OnTrackGain' :
> function
> does not take 1  arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1451) : error C2660:   'TrackPanel::OnTrackGainInc' :
> function does not take 1   arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1456) : error C2660:  'TrackPanel::OnTrackGainDec'  :
> function does not take 1  arguments
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1466) : warning C4800:  'Track *' :  forcing value to bool
> 'true' or 'false' (performance   warning)
> ..\src\Menus.cpp(1470) : warning C4800: 'Track *' : forcing  value to  bool
> 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
>  ..\src\Menus.cpp(1474) : error  C2660: 'TrackPanel::OnTrackClose' :
>  function
> does not take 1 arguments
> Build  log was saved at
> "_file://c:\Audacity\Audacity\audacity\win\Unicode_Debug\BuildLog.htm_
> (file://c:\Audacity\Audacity\audacity\win\Unicode_Debug\BuildLog.htm)  "
> Audacity  - 8 error(s), 2 warning(s)
> ========== Build: 0  succeeded, 1 failed, 0  up-to-date, 0 skipped

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Markus Meyer
Hi Arun,

thanks for adding the "labeled regions" functionality to Audacity. I
haven't worked with it yet, but a user made me aware of a small problem
we have since this functionality was added: the menu "labeled regions"
duplicates both the wording and the shortcuts of the Edit menu. E.g.,
there is a "Cut" command in both the edit menu (the "real" cut command)
and in the "labeled regions" menu. The commands in the "labeled regions"
menu should have different names (so they appear differently in the
keyboard settings) and different shortcuts. It is an error if two
commands have the same keyboard shortcut if they can be active at the
same time. I therefore propose the following:

1. Assign different keybaord shortcuts to the "labeled regions"
commands. Indeed, to prevent polluting the shortcut space, I think it
could be sufficient to just give shortcuts to the two (or so)
most-often-used commands and give no short cuts to the others.

2. Change names of the commands within the "labeled regions" submenu to
make them unique. E.g., change "Cut" to "Cut within labeled region".
This would create some redundancy, but would be easy to do. As an
alternative, one could hack the command manager and/or keyboard settings
dialog to show not only the command name ("Cut") in the settings dialog,
but also the sub menu name, if any ("Labeled Regions: Cut"). This would
remove the ambiguities and would also be beneficial to the other
sub-menu commands we already have in Audacity.

Arun, can you make those changes? If not, please let me know so I'll add
them to my TODO.

Markus

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Markus

My preferred solution is to modify the keyboard settings dialog to
include the whole menu "path". I will work on this in the next few
days. Thanks for reporting the issue. I don't use the keyboard
settings and would've never encountered this.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

On 9/19/06, Markus Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> thanks for adding the "labeled regions" functionality to Audacity. I
> haven't worked with it yet, but a user made me aware of a small problem
> we have since this functionality was added: the menu "labeled regions"
> duplicates both the wording and the shortcuts of the Edit menu. E.g.,
> there is a "Cut" command in both the edit menu (the "real" cut command)
> and in the "labeled regions" menu. The commands in the "labeled regions"
> menu should have different names (so they appear differently in the
> keyboard settings) and different shortcuts. It is an error if two
> commands have the same keyboard shortcut if they can be active at the
> same time. I therefore propose the following:
>
> 1. Assign different keybaord shortcuts to the "labeled regions"
> commands. Indeed, to prevent polluting the shortcut space, I think it
> could be sufficient to just give shortcuts to the two (or so)
> most-often-used commands and give no short cuts to the others.
>
> 2. Change names of the commands within the "labeled regions" submenu to
> make them unique. E.g., change "Cut" to "Cut within labeled region".
> This would create some redundancy, but would be easy to do. As an
> alternative, one could hack the command manager and/or keyboard settings
> dialog to show not only the command name ("Cut") in the settings dialog,
> but also the sub menu name, if any ("Labeled Regions: Cut"). This would
> remove the ambiguities and would also be beneficial to the other
> sub-menu commands we already have in Audacity.
>
> Arun, can you make those changes? If not, please let me know so I'll add
> them to my TODO.
>

> Markus

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Markus

I have made the necessary changes. In short, there is a new attribute
in which keeps track of the submenu names and the key config dialog
uses this to populate the command list. I have also removed some
redundant text from the labels added in Menus.cpp. Please check.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

On 9/20/06, Arun Kishore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> My preferred solution is to modify the keyboard settings dialog to
> include the whole menu "path". I will work on this in the next few
> days. Thanks for reporting the issue. I don't use the keyboard
> settings and would've never encountered this.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore
>
> On 9/19/06, Markus Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Arun,
> >
> > thanks for adding the "labeled regions" functionality to Audacity. I
> > haven't worked with it yet, but a user made me aware of a small problem
> > we have since this functionality was added: the menu "labeled regions"
> > duplicates both the wording and the shortcuts of the Edit menu. E.g.,
> > there is a "Cut" command in both the edit menu (the "real" cut command)
> > and in the "labeled regions" menu. The commands in the "labeled regions"
> > menu should have different names (so they appear differently in the
> > keyboard settings) and different shortcuts. It is an error if two
> > commands have the same keyboard shortcut if they can be active at the
> > same time. I therefore propose the following:
> >
> > 1. Assign different keybaord shortcuts to the "labeled regions"
> > commands. Indeed, to prevent polluting the shortcut space, I think it
> > could be sufficient to just give shortcuts to the two (or so)
> > most-often-used commands and give no short cuts to the others.
> >
> > 2. Change names of the commands within the "labeled regions" submenu to
> > make them unique. E.g., change "Cut" to "Cut within labeled region".
> > This would create some redundancy, but would be easy to do. As an
> > alternative, one could hack the command manager and/or keyboard settings
> > dialog to show not only the command name ("Cut") in the settings dialog,
> > but also the sub menu name, if any ("Labeled Regions: Cut"). This would
> > remove the ambiguities and would also be beneficial to the other
> > sub-menu commands we already have in Audacity.
> >
> > Arun, can you make those changes? If not, please let me know so I'll add
> > them to my TODO.
> >

> > Markus

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Leland Lucius
Arun,

Did you mean to send a patch along?  I'd LOVE to see this!!!  I've been
meaning to do it myself, but never got around to it.

Leland

On 9/23/06 11:10 PM, "Arun Kishore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> I have made the necessary changes. In short, there is a new attribute
> in which keeps track of the submenu names and the key config dialog
> uses this to populate the command list. I have also removed some
> redundant text from the labels added in Menus.cpp. Please check.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore
>
> On 9/20/06, Arun Kishore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Markus
>>
>> My preferred solution is to modify the keyboard settings dialog to
>> include the whole menu "path". I will work on this in the next few
>> days. Thanks for reporting the issue. I don't use the keyboard
>> settings and would've never encountered this.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Arun Kishore
>>
>> On 9/19/06, Markus Meyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Arun,
>>>
>>> thanks for adding the "labeled regions" functionality to Audacity. I
>>> haven't worked with it yet, but a user made me aware of a small problem
>>> we have since this functionality was added: the menu "labeled regions"
>>> duplicates both the wording and the shortcuts of the Edit menu. E.g.,
>>> there is a "Cut" command in both the edit menu (the "real" cut command)
>>> and in the "labeled regions" menu. The commands in the "labeled regions"
>>> menu should have different names (so they appear differently in the
>>> keyboard settings) and different shortcuts. It is an error if two
>>> commands have the same keyboard shortcut if they can be active at the
>>> same time. I therefore propose the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Assign different keybaord shortcuts to the "labeled regions"
>>> commands. Indeed, to prevent polluting the shortcut space, I think it
>>> could be sufficient to just give shortcuts to the two (or so)
>>> most-often-used commands and give no short cuts to the others.
>>>
>>> 2. Change names of the commands within the "labeled regions" submenu to
>>> make them unique. E.g., change "Cut" to "Cut within labeled region".
>>> This would create some redundancy, but would be easy to do. As an
>>> alternative, one could hack the command manager and/or keyboard settings
>>> dialog to show not only the command name ("Cut") in the settings dialog,
>>> but also the sub menu name, if any ("Labeled Regions: Cut"). This would
>>> remove the ambiguities and would also be beneficial to the other
>>> sub-menu commands we already have in Audacity.
>>>
>>> Arun, can you make those changes? If not, please let me know so I'll add
>>> them to my TODO.
>>>

>>> Markus

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Leland

Since the changes were quite small ( and probably wrong :) ), I've committed them directly to CVS. Let me know if you can't find them.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

Leland Lucius wrote

On 9/23/06 11:10 PM, "Arun Kishore" <arun.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Markus
>
> I have made the necessary changes. In short, there is a new attribute
> in which keeps track of the submenu names and the key config dialog
> uses this to populate the command list. I have also removed some
> redundant text from the labels added in Menus.cpp. Please check.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore
>
> On 9/20/06, Arun Kishore <arun.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Markus
>>
>> My preferred solution is to modify the keyboard settings dialog to
>> include the whole menu "path". I will work on this in the next few
>> days. Thanks for reporting the issue. I don't use the keyboard
>> settings and would've never encountered this.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Arun Kishore
>>
>> On 9/19/06, Markus Meyer <meyer@mesw.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Arun,
>>>
>>> thanks for adding the "labeled regions" functionality to Audacity. I
>>> haven't worked with it yet, but a user made me aware of a small problem
>>> we have since this functionality was added: the menu "labeled regions"
>>> duplicates both the wording and the shortcuts of the Edit menu. E.g.,
>>> there is a "Cut" command in both the edit menu (the "real" cut command)
>>> and in the "labeled regions" menu. The commands in the "labeled regions"
>>> menu should have different names (so they appear differently in the
>>> keyboard settings) and different shortcuts. It is an error if two
>>> commands have the same keyboard shortcut if they can be active at the
>>> same time. I therefore propose the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Assign different keybaord shortcuts to the "labeled regions"
>>> commands. Indeed, to prevent polluting the shortcut space, I think it
>>> could be sufficient to just give shortcuts to the two (or so)
>>> most-often-used commands and give no short cuts to the others.
>>>
>>> 2. Change names of the commands within the "labeled regions" submenu to
>>> make them unique. E.g., change "Cut" to "Cut within labeled region".
>>> This would create some redundancy, but would be easy to do. As an
>>> alternative, one could hack the command manager and/or keyboard settings
>>> dialog to show not only the command name ("Cut") in the settings dialog,
>>> but also the sub menu name, if any ("Labeled Regions: Cut"). This would
>>> remove the ambiguities and would also be beneficial to the other
>>> sub-menu commands we already have in Audacity.
>>>
>>> Arun, can you make those changes? If not, please let me know so I'll add
>>> them to my TODO.
>>>

>>> Markus

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Leland Lucius
Cool, I see them.  I wonder what I didn't get an audacity-cvs message...

It's building now.  The reason I'm excited about this is that it "fixes" an
accessibility issue with the keyboard preferences.

Thanks,

Leland

On 9/23/06 11:31 PM, "Arun Kishore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Leland
>
> Since the changes were quite small ( and probably wrong :) ), I've committed
> them directly to CVS. Let me know if you can't find them.
>
> Best regards
> Arun Kishore
>

> Leland Lucius wrote:
>>
>> Arun,
>>
>> Did you mean to send a patch along?  I'd LOVE to see this!!!  I've been
>> meaning to do it myself, but never got around to it.
>>
>> Leland
>>

>> On 9/23/06 11:10 PM, "Arun Kishore" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Markus
>>>
>>> I have made the necessary changes. In short, there is a new attribute
>>> in which keeps track of the submenu names and the key config dialog
>>> uses this to populate the command list. I have also removed some
>>> redundant text from the labels added in Menus.cpp. Please check.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Arun Kishore

Re: Edit functions for Labeled Regions

Arun Kishore
Hi Leland

I was not subscribed to the audacity-cvs list. So, message generated by my commit is awaiting moderator approval.

Glad you're playing with it. Lemme know if there are any issues.

Best regards
Arun Kishore

Leland Lucius wrote

On 9/23/06 11:56 PM, "Arun Kishore" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Leland
>
> I was not subscribed to the audacity-cvs list. So, message generated by my
> commit is awaiting moderator approval.
>
> Glad you're playing with it. Lemme know if there are any issues.

It's just perfect!  I'll have my wife try it to see how it sounds.

THANKS!

Leland