End of the line

john francis lee
Hi,

I've used audacity for several years and like it very much. Thanks to
the developers for making it happen.

My problem is that I use debian ... and with wheezy or jessie I got a
stern warning about problems wit the audacity-debian combination. I just
tried it ... and it worked. A few things looked shaky, but the basically
it worked. All I ever do with audacity is work with spoken language
files, I imagine there's much more interesting stuff to do with music.
But it worked for me and I just continued for ... a couple of years now
at least, with no or no unmanagable problems.

Until this morning. I had a file open in audacity from yesterday and I
went back and started to divide it into sections using ctrl-b, no
problem ... until all of a sudden audacity produced nothing but static
on playback, at a very fast pace. I messed around for a while, then shut
down audacity and restarted. I can no longer start audacity. I get a
non-warning warning message, then even after clicking 'yes', meaning
start the non-warning regardless, audacity will not start. Debian is
still stuck at 2.0.6, I believe.

I went to the site and got the source code for 2.1.2. It messed around
with that for a while ... it seems beyond me.

Is there any hope that I can get audacity back on my debian? Or any
suggestions for a replacement program?

Thanks.

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: End of the line

On 8 November 2016 at 03:15, john francis lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used audacity for several years and like it very much. Thanks to
> the developers for making it happen.
>
> My problem is that I use debian ... and with wheezy or jessie I got a
> stern warning about problems wit the audacity-debian combination.

Do you mean this problem of being built with an unsupported version
of wxWidgets:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Incorrect_wxWidgets_Version ?

> I just tried it ... and it worked. A few things looked shaky, but the basically
> it worked. All I ever do with audacity is work with spoken language
> files, I imagine there's much more interesting stuff to do with music.
> But it worked for me and I just continued for ... a couple of years now
> at least, with no or no unmanagable problems.
>
> Until this morning. I had a file open in audacity from yesterday and I
> went back and started to divide it into sections using ctrl-b, no
> problem ... until all of a sudden audacity produced nothing but static
> on playback, at a very fast pace. I messed around for a while, then shut
> down audacity and restarted. I can no longer start audacity. I get a
> non-warning warning message, then even after clicking 'yes', meaning
> start the non-warning regardless, audacity will not start. Debian is
> still stuck at 2.0.6, I believe.

So if you have manged with a build made with the wrong Widgets
version for two years, the current problem is not likely to be related
to Widgets.

What is the exact text of the message? Is it that Audacity is already
running? In that case try deleting the lock file in Audacity's temporary
folder. It should be /var/tmp/ by default but if not, check in the file
~/.audacity-data/audacity.cfg (underneath the line that says [TempDir]).

Another thing you could do is just delete audacity.cfg if deleting the lock
file does not help, or if the warning is about not having anywhere to
store temporary files.

Also did you force quit Audacity? If so it should be offering you recovery
of the audio that was present when you force quit.

> I went to the site and got the source code for 2.1.2. It messed around
> with that for a while ... it seems beyond me.

Let's cross that one only if needed.

Gale

> Is there any hope that I can get audacity back on my debian? Or any
> suggestions for a replacement program?
>
> Thanks.

> Training and support from Colfax.
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: End of the line

john francis lee
It just works again.

On 11/08/2016 11:47 AM, Gale Andrews wrote:
What is the exact text of the message? Is it that Audacity is already
running? In that case try deleting the lock file in Audacity's temporary
folder. It should be /var/tmp/ by default but if not, check in the file
~/.audacity-data/audacity.cfg (underneath the line that says [TempDir]).
It complained once, referencing a warning that had in fact not been presented, offering to go ahead and start audacity or quit, having read the non-existent warning. I clicked 'yes' each time, and then audacity would, apparently, crash ... leaving the lockfile. 'ps ax | grep audacity' showed no instance running. Starting again would elicit the warning of the phantom second instance running ... clicking through that warning, proceeding in spite of the warning, yielded the same crash as before.

Another thing you could do is just delete audacity.cfg if deleting the lock
file does not help, or if the warning is about not having anywhere to
store temporary files.
As I say, I was able to click through the warning, which presumably deleted the lock file ... audacity crashed either way, with or without the 'other instance' warning.
Also did you force quit Audacity? If so it should be offering you recovery
of the audio that was present when you force quit.

Yes, just now, when it started successfully, it presented that option. It spoke of a New project, I deleted 'old projects', I think it said, and then reloaded my own, real old project and lo, and behold, it seems to act normally. Must have been the spooks from the NSA. I'll try to do some work on my project, and report back if I have trouble. No news is good news.

Thanks.

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: End of the line

Thanks. If you have any more problems that deleting the lock file or
deleting audacity.cfg doesn't solve, please write down the exact
warning or take a screenshot.

Gale

On 8 November 2016 at 05:16, john francis lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
> how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it

Don Becker

I apologize for a Random question...but how do I get permission to save my audio file(s) in Audacity. I don't want to save it in Amazon.

Thank you,

Don B.

Thanks. If you have any more problems that deleting the lock file or
deleting audacity.cfg doesn't solve, please write down the exact
warning or take a screenshot.

Gale

On 8 November 2016 at 05:16, john francis lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It just works again.
>
> On 11/08/2016 11:47 AM, Gale Andrews wrote:
>
> What is the exact text of the message? Is it that Audacity is already
> running? In that case try deleting the lock file in Audacity's temporary
> folder. It should be /var/tmp/ by default but if not, check in the file
> ~/.audacity-data/audacity.cfg (underneath the line that says [TempDir]).
>
> It complained once, referencing a warning that had in fact not been
> presented, offering to go ahead and start audacity or quit, having read the
> non-existent warning. I clicked 'yes' each time, and then audacity would,
> apparently, crash ... leaving the lockfile. 'ps ax | grep audacity' showed
> no instance running. Starting again would elicit the warning of the phantom
> second instance running ... clicking through that warning, proceeding in
> spite of the warning, yielded the same crash as before.
>
> Another thing you could do is just delete audacity.cfg if deleting the lock
> file does not help, or if the warning is about not having anywhere to
> store temporary files.
>
> As I say, I was able to click through the warning, which presumably deleted
> the lock file ... audacity crashed either way, with or without the 'other
> instance' warning.
>
> Also did you force quit Audacity? If so it should be offering you recovery
> of the audio that was present when you force quit.
>
> Yes, just now, when it started successfully, it presented that option. It
> spoke of a New project, I deleted 'old projects', I think it said, and then
> reloaded my own, real old project and lo, and behold, it seems to act
> normally. Must have been the spooks from the NSA. I'll try to do some work
> on my project, and report back if I have trouble. No news is good news.
>
> Thanks.

> Training and support from Colfax.
sdm.link
Intel is bringing to market, in anticipation of general availability of the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor (codenamed Knights Landing), the Developer Access Program (DAP). DAP is an early access program for developers worldwide to purchase an Intel Xeon Phi Processor based system. This is a stand-alone box that has a single bootable Knights Landing processor for developers to start developing codes, optimizing applications, and getting to see the performance.

> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
> so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
> 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
> About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
> how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
lists.sourceforge.net
This is a subscription-only mailing list where you can discuss Audacity with other users and ask questions. This means you have to subscribe to the list to post a ...

[...]

Rather than tag on a totally unrelated question to the end, I recommend
using Compose in your e-mail client to start a new topic. This makes it
easier for people searching topics online.

If you are talking about operating system user rights, try changing
the save directory to your own user space, such as your Documents
or Music folder.  If you want to use these files outside Audacity, use
File > Export.

Gale

On 9 November 2016 at 01:17, Don Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it

Sorry. Thanks again. That helped immensely.

DB

> [...]

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Training and support from Colfax.
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it

You bet. Will do. So far so good