Error building Audacity 1.3.0

EJ Nikelski
Hi All,

    I have just downloaded Audacity 1.3.0 from CVS, and get an error in
the libvorbis configure script. Pls see the configure output listed below.

     What's happening? Well, I don't have ogg or vorbis installed (as
the error message clearly states). Instead, I expect Audacity to build
both from the Audacity CVS. Problem is that the vorbis configure script
looks for an installed ogg (.h and lib) before anything has been built.
ogg.h *does* exist, of course, but it's sitting in the
src-lib/ogg/include subdirectory. Looks like the configure script needs
tweeking -- or am missing something important?

Thanks,

-Jim

System details:
Debian Etch, g++ 3.3.6, wx 2.6.2

jnikelski@Brunnhilde:~/development/audacity/Build$ ../configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

<snip>

configure: configuring in lib-src/libvorbis
configure: running /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure'
--prefix=/usr/local  --cache-file=/dev/null
--srcdir=../../../lib-src/libvorbis
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for pkg-config... yes
checking for ogg >= 1.0... checking for Ogg... no
*** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Ogg was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved Ogg since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the ogg-config script:
configure: error: must have Ogg installed!
configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure' failed
for lib-src/libvorbis

Re: Error building Audacity 1.3.0

edgar-rft

Hi-Jim

quite simple: ogg-devel is missing.

go to the lib-src/lib-ogg directory and compile ogg first:

./configure - make - make install

this also installs ogg-devel

then go back to the audacity directory and try again

- edgar

[hidden email] schrieb am 26.09.05 00:57:37:

> Hi All,
>
>     I have just downloaded Audacity 1.3.0 from CVS, and get an error in
> the libvorbis configure script. Pls see the configure output listed below.
>
>      What's happening? Well, I don't have ogg or vorbis installed (as
> the error message clearly states). Instead, I expect Audacity to build
> both from the Audacity CVS. Problem is that the vorbis configure script
> looks for an installed ogg (.h and lib) before anything has been built.
> ogg.h *does* exist, of course, but it's sitting in the
> src-lib/ogg/include subdirectory. Looks like the configure script needs
> tweeking -- or am missing something important?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jim
>
> System details:
> Debian Etch, g++ 3.3.6, wx 2.6.2
>

> jnikelski@Brunnhilde:~/development/audacity/Build$ ../configure
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
>
> <snip>
>
> configure: configuring in lib-src/libvorbis
> configure: running /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure'
> --prefix=/usr/local  --cache-file=/dev/null
> --srcdir=../../../lib-src/libvorbis
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
>
> checking for cos in -lm... yes
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> checking for pkg-config... yes
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for ogg >= 1.0... checking for Ogg... no
> *** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
> for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means Ogg was incorrectly
> installed
> *** or that you have moved Ogg since it was installed. In the latter
> case, you
> *** may want to edit the ogg-config script:
> configure: error: must have Ogg installed!
> configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure' failed
> for lib-src/libvorbis

Re: Error building Audacity 1.3.0

Markus Meyer
Yes, I suppose Jim's point was that this should be done automatically.

Markus

[hidden email] schrieb:

> [...]
>>
>>checking for cos in -lm... yes
>>checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
>>checking for pkg-config... yes
>>checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
>>checking for ogg >= 1.0... checking for Ogg... no
>>*** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
>>*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
>>for the
>>*** exact error that occured. This usually means Ogg was incorrectly
>>installed
>>*** or that you have moved Ogg since it was installed. In the latter
>>case, you
>>*** may want to edit the ogg-config script:
>>configure: error: must have Ogg installed!
>>configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure' failed
>>for lib-src/libvorbis

>Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an alle

dmazzoni
On Sep 25, 2005, at 11:43 PM, Markus Meyer wrote
> Yes, I suppose Jim's point was that this should be done automatically.

You're right.

I think that in an earlier version, we modified the Vorbis
Makefile.in to look for the Ogg include & library files using
relative paths.  Since then, we upgraded to Ogg Vorbis 1.0 and then
1.1, and those changes got lost in the process.  And since most
developers had Ogg Vorbis installed at the system level, we didn't
notice.

This is a relatively easy fix, which should be done.  Is Bugzilla
working yet?

- Dominic

> [...]
>>> checking for pkg-config... yes
>>> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
>>> checking for ogg >= 1.0... checking for Ogg... no
>>> *** Could not run Ogg test program, checking why...
>>> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file
>>> config.log
>>> for the
>>> *** exact error that occured. This usually means Ogg was incorrectly
>>> installed
>>> *** or that you have moved Ogg since it was installed. In the latter
>>> case, you
>>> *** may want to edit the ogg-config script:
>>> configure: error: must have Ogg installed!
>>> configure: error: /bin/sh '../../../lib-src/libvorbis/configure'
>>> failed
>>> for lib-src/libvorbis

>> ____
>> Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 01:33 -0700, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
> Is Bugzilla working yet?
Not when I tried. I got a "No valid product selected" error, even though
there is no product drop-down list, just a hard-coded Audacity. The
absence of any entries in the "version" drop-down list might be
significant. This doesn't affect any release versions as they don't have
the libogg / libvorbis source included in them.

Richard