Export multiple progress dialogs hidden behind export dialog

Export multiple progress dialogs hidden behind export dialog

Bill Wharrie
Since we have a 2-week pause, is it possible to address this? No data loss, obviously, but it is confusing for users as apparently nothing is happening.

Turn off “Show Metadata editor before Export Step” (don’t know if this is required but this is how I work), then do an Export Multiple on a project with export selections of a few minutes or more (enough to trigger the progress dialog).
Watch carefully what is happening. For each file of the multiple export a progress dialog is put up with the name of the file as the title of the dialog. Once the first file has finished exporting, that dialog is removed and a new one is put up. Unfortunately this second dialog is _behind_ the Export Multiple dialog. Sometimes you can see that the Export Multiple dialog is “dimmed”, then briefly un-dims then dims again as the next progress dialog is created behind the Export Multiple dialog. Move the Export Multiple dialog out of the way and you can then see the progress dialogs come and go.

This is a regression on 2.1.1 that showed up in 2.1.2.

— Bill

Re: Export multiple progress dialogs hidden behind export dialog

Cliff Scott

> On Feb 24, 2017, at 1:12 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since we have a 2-week pause, is it possible to address this? No data loss, obviously, but it is confusing for users as apparently nothing is happening.
>
> Turn off “Show Metadata editor before Export Step” (don’t know if this is required but this is how I work), then do an Export Multiple on a project with export selections of a few minutes or more (enough to trigger the progress dialog).
> Watch carefully what is happening. For each file of the multiple export a progress dialog is put up with the name of the file as the title of the dialog. Once the first file has finished exporting, that dialog is removed and a new one is put up. Unfortunately this second dialog is _behind_ the Export Multiple dialog. Sometimes you can see that the Export Multiple dialog is “dimmed”, then briefly un-dims then dims again as the next progress dialog is created behind the Export Multiple dialog. Move the Export Multiple dialog out of the way and you can then see the progress dialogs come and go.
>
> This is a regression on 2.1.1 that showed up in 2.1.2.
>
> — Bill

I would like to see this fixed as well. I've gotten caught on this and been tempted to try to redo the export when all of a sudden the final dialog listing the files exported pops up. Now that I understand what is happening it isn't a problem for me, but it's not a good thing to have happening.

Cliff

Re: Export multiple progress dialogs hidden behind export dialog

Works fine for me on Windows.
Is this on mac?
Is there a bug number for it?  If not, please make one.

The fix is likely to be something like:

  pWin->Iconize(false);
  pWin->SetFocus();
  pWin->Raise();
  pWin->Show(true);

I.e. quick, easy and safe.  So a yes (with my RM hat on) to a fix of that kind going in.

--James.

On 2017/02/24, at 3:31 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

It happens on Mac Sierra. Don't know about other platforms.

Also on El Capitan. Apparently Mac only.
[...]

Bill,

Are you going to enter it as a bug?

Cliff