Quantcast

Feature request - multitrack playback

Tim Rossiter
Unless I'm missing something it seems that Audacity (1.2.3) can't play
back multitrack - it always mixes to stereo by default.

This is really bad news for me - I just did my first recording with
Audacity (and liked it very much) using an 8 channel card (ST-Audio DSP
2000).
( A day spent  recording of a friends band).

The recording went fine, but I'm one of a dying breed that like to mix
analogue with a real mixer and real effects
 - but I've just discovered I can't seem to play back the tracks
separately in Audacity.
(OK I should have checked first, but it never occurred to me that it
wouldn't).

I hope I can do a multiple export, read them into another multitrack
package and play them all back together, but then there is not much point
in recording with Audacity!

Please consider adding this feature - I wouldn't have thought it hard
compared to some of the other wonderful stuff people have done.
Its a great bit of software, but no  use for true multitrack at present
- a real shame

Re: Feature request - multitrack playback

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 17:58 +0000, Tim Rossiter wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something it seems that Audacity (1.2.3) can't play
> back multitrack - it always mixes to stereo by default.
That's correct - I don't think any of the developers owns anything
capable of more than stereo playback, except the Dolby surround cards
which aren't very suitable for this kind of thing. It's not well
supported by many OSes either

> This is really bad news for me - I just did my first recording with
> Audacity (and liked it very much) using an 8 channel card (ST-Audio DSP
> 2000).( A day spent  recording of a friends band).
>
> The recording went fine, but I'm one of a dying breed that like to mix
> analogue with a real mixer and real effects
>  - but I've just discovered I can't seem to play back the tracks
> separately in Audacity.
> (OK I should have checked first, but it never occurred to me that it
> wouldn't).
>
> I hope I can do a multiple export, read them into another multitrack
> package and play them all back together, but then there is not much point
> in recording with Audacity!
Ardour for linux is probably better at this kind of level - audacity is
intended mainly to run on consumer-grade hardware not professional
multi-channel setups, so full on multitrack is not a priority. Feel free
to add it to the feature requests page here:
  http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.pl?FeatureRequests

To export the tracks, select the track by clicking on the control panel,
and then use File > Export As WAV to export just that track to a file.

Richard Ash

Re: Feature request - multitrack playback

Tim Rossiter
Thanks for your reply, Dominic kindly replied to me as well.

Looking at the feature request  list you have quite a few requests !
I've added this one as you suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I doubt that I could use Linux because sadly I don't think my 8 channel Audio card is supported (and probably never will be).
But 8 channel cards are getting quite affordable, and the kind of people who use them nearly always run Windows or Macs.

Your application, incidentally, is almost the only software I encountered (in my search through about six or seven packages) that
supports the new multichannel EWDM driver - the ease with which it set up eight recording channels lulled me into a false sense of security.
- I'm discovering support for multichannel cards is a bit of a minefield.

I've done the export multiple, but it looks like I will have to regress the drivers to a previous version (that implemented multiple WAV drivers) so
that I can use Cool_Edit/Audition to output to my card.

If you need anyone to test the feature I would be very happy to do so.
Incidenally - someone did multichannel input, so presumably they had access to the H/W ?