Fedora 24 KDE no joy

Dave Sill
I recently upgraded from FC21/KDE to 24, x86_64. Audacity ran OK under 21, except for occasionally hanging.

I've now got audacity-2.1.2-4.fc24.x86_64 installed, but when I try to start it I get:

$ audacity

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

(Audacity:15631): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(Audacity:15631): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module 'libgail-gnome' which is needed to make this application accessible

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GtkWidget'

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GtkBuildable'

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(Audacity:15631): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(Audacity:15631): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed

then nothing.

I renamed my .audacity and .audacity-data directories but that didn't help. I've googled to no avail. I even tried installing other sound editors but the only one I could install, Sweep, died without explanation after asking for a file to edit. I record my band's practices on a Zoom H2n and extract a few songs for the other guys, but I'm dead in the water. :-( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave

http://sdm.link/attshape
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Fedora 24 KDE no joy

Dave Sill
Argh. Nevermind. Long story short, there's something fubared with my Fedora upgrade. It doesn't come up with the graphical interface, I have to start it with startx. I forgot about this and went to try a Gnome session or different user. Audacity works fine in a root session.

Off to fix the real problem.

-Dave

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Dave Sill <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stan-7
On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 21:49:52 -0400
Dave Sill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from FC21/KDE to 24, x86_64. Audacity ran OK
> under 21, except for occasionally hanging.

[snip]

I don't have this error in F25, and I was unable to find libgail-gnome.
But libgail-util comes from package gtk2-devel.  I think you are missing
required libraries.  So, the dependencies on the package are probably
incorrect.  Try installing some gtk2 packages.  Or, try reinstalling
audacity to see if it will pull in the missing dependencies.

dnf reinstall audacity

Are you using the fedora version, or the rpmfusion version of
audacity?  Or are you using a version from some other place?  It might
be that the update was unable to find an update if you are using an
unusual repository.

The natural place to ask this question is on the Fedora User list.