Quantcast

Fireworks Triggering etc.

Adrian Hesketh
I think that being able to execute commands at different points in a track is a fun idea.
 You could trigger lights, trigger playback of video etc.

Re: Fireworks Triggering etc.

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 1/24/06, Adrian Hesketh wrote:
> I think that being able to execute commands at different points in a track is a fun idea.
>  You could trigger lights, trigger playback of video etc.

I think you are talking about MIDI controller events or, at least, OSC :)

Alexandre

Re: Fireworks Triggering etc.

Julian Green

Hmm, my initial idea was to offer the Label List without the specific
firework code, but there seems to be interest in this also.

What do the more seasoned list members think?   Is this a feature that
should be included in a standard audacity build?

Julian

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Adrian Hesketh wrote:

> I think that being able to execute commands at different points in a track is a fun idea.
>  You could trigger lights, trigger playback of video etc.

Re: Fireworks Triggering etc.

Martyn Shaw
Julian

Does your code actually output signals to the real world?  Via a port  of
some kind?  Is that what you mean by 'firework code'?  I thought  not, but if it
does then I think it is very exciting!  Please let us  have some more details
about what it actually does!

Martyn
PS I didn't see any fireworks here   ;-)

[hidden email] writes:

Hmm, my initial idea was to offer  the Label List without the specific
firework code, but there seems to be  interest in this also.

What do the more seasoned list members  think?   Is this a feature that
should be included in a standard  audacity build?

Julian

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Adrian Hesketh  wrote:

> I think that being able to execute commands at different  points in a track
is a fun idea.
>  You could trigger lights, trigger  playback of video etc.

files
> for  problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that  makes
> searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.   DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
>  http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=103432&bid=230486&dat=121642

Re: Fireworks Triggering etc.

Julian Green

Yes it interfaces to the real world, and is in use with a fireworks
company that have recently won the british national fireworks
championships. http://mlepyrotechnics.co.uk/features/plymouth/ also
http://mlepyrotechnics.co.uk/features/macau/

They fired the show using a modified version of audacity-1.0.0.  It
interfaces to a system that I have designed and built and is for sale,
however all the code I have written for audacity to do this is free and I
am happy to offer it to the audacity project

Users create labels where they want fireworks to go.   There is a special
numbering scheme used to address a port on the firing system and this
appears as text in the label.   e.g.  '01/1a shells' (firing module 01
port 1a) the rest of the label is free text.

The label tool bar displays a sorted list of labels.  The user can chose
the sort order and has additional columns for displaying decoded module
numbers, port numbers, and port status.

When play is pressed firing events are generated at the appropriate points
and sent over RS485 data cable to the firing system(s).  The item in the
Label Toolbar is updated to indiacte that it has been fired.

It occured to me that if all the fireworks related code was stripped out
then there would still be a usefull summary of all the labels on the label
tracks.  Clicking on entries on the list scrolls the tracks to make the
label visable.  Also direct editing of the labels is possible in the label
tool bar.  I added features to the label tracks so that labels can be
added during play back at the current indicator position, and labels can
be move by dragging the mouse.

There is also a specific menu item added for the 'FireByWire' system
control.  Continuity test - to test that all the fireworks are connected,
and Network test - to see what equipment is connected up.

Again all the software I have written for audacity is freely available as
well as the interface code to the firing system.

There is a windows version of the software with all the features at
http://www.firebywire.co.uk/software/windows/audacity_fbw.tgz

Julian