Forum question - Audacity lock file with Mac network accounts

Forum question - Audacity lock file with Mac network accounts

Bill Wharrie
The following was posted on the Mac section of the Audacity support forum

> We're having some issues with Audacity in a school lab environment.
>
> These are network accounts on El Capitan machines. Local accounts have no problems launching Audacity, but network accounts (which all the students are) receive a pop up saying that there was an error locking the temporary folder. No lock file is created in the temporary folder when this occurs, and the application quits when selecting "Yes" to launch the Audacity anyway.

In Gale’s absence there is no-one who has the experience to answer this. Does anyone on this list have any insight?

-- Bill

Re: Forum question - Audacity lock file with Mac network accounts

Cliff Scott
Two thoughts from one who doesn't know the answer. :)

1. Could this be related to the issue we had with 2.1.3 and having to do the funny stuff during startup so try to get around permission issues. In other words, would this be a place to ask the admin to try the "fixed" 2.2.0 version where Paul had cleaned up the startup process and solved some other issues in the process? Of course we couldn't let them use it until we released it, but it could answer the problem.

2. Where is the temporary folder located? If Audacity is launching from a server and the temporary folder is local could that be an issue? Or maybe the temporary folder needs to be on the server? I know from experience that locations can play games with permissions.

Cliff

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 6:01 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The following was posted on the Mac section of the Audacity support forum
>
>> We're having some issues with Audacity in a school lab environment.
>>
>> These are network accounts on El Capitan machines. Local accounts have no problems launching Audacity, but network accounts (which all the students are) receive a pop up saying that there was an error locking the temporary folder. No lock file is created in the temporary folder when this occurs, and the application quits when selecting "Yes" to launch the Audacity anyway.
>
> In Gale’s absence there is no-one who has the experience to answer this. Does anyone on this list have any insight?
>
> -- Bill

Re: Forum question - Audacity lock file with Mac network accounts

Paul Licameli

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Two thoughts from one who doesn't know the answer. :)

1. Could this be related to the issue we had with 2.1.3 and having to do the funny stuff during startup so try to get around permission issues. In other words, would this be a place to ask the admin to try the "fixed" 2.2.0 version where Paul had cleaned up the startup process and solved some other issues in the process? Of course we couldn't let them use it until we released it, but it could answer the problem.

I am dearly hoping that what I did solves all sorts of weird things like this, because the weird things are out of my depth.

Maybe these people need to be beta testers, if we get the beta out the door.  But right now, I am trying to fight the other fire, involving reports of MIDI playback hanging on Linux, sometimes.

PRL

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
The following was posted on the Mac section of the Audacity support forum

> We're having some issues with Audacity in a school lab environment.
>
> These are network accounts on El Capitan machines. Local accounts have no problems launching Audacity, but network accounts (which all the students are) receive a pop up saying that there was an error locking the temporary folder. No lock file is created in the temporary folder when this occurs, and the application quits when selecting "Yes" to launch the Audacity anyway.

In Gale’s absence there is no-one who has the experience to answer this. Does anyone on this list have any insight?

I'm far from being an expert here - but recall just yesterday seeing a reference in the FAQs to the
Mac Lock file which (in an ednote) leads to this Forum thread:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=290898#p290898
I have no idea if this is relevant to the current case in question.

in the
"How can I solve Audacity not appearing or crashing on launch, or crashing after I add a plug-in?"
section (need to be logged in to see the ednote).

Peter.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
The following was posted on the Mac section of the Audacity support forum

> We're having some issues with Audacity in a school lab environment.
>
> These are network accounts on El Capitan machines. Local accounts have no problems launching Audacity, but network accounts (which all the students are) receive a pop up saying that there was an error locking the temporary folder. No lock file is created in the temporary folder when this occurs, and the application quits when selecting "Yes" to launch the Audacity anyway.

In Gale’s absence there is no-one who has the experience to answer this. Does anyone on this list have any insight?

I'm far from being an expert here - but recall just yesterday seeing a reference in the FAQs to the
Mac Lock file which (in an ednote) leads to this Forum thread:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=290898#p290898
I have no idea if this is relevant to the current case in question.

in the
"How can I solve Audacity not appearing or crashing on launch, or crashing after I add a plug-in?"
section (need to be logged in to see the ednote).

Peter.

Is this the same problem?  The symptom of that, I thought, is that Audacity just does nothing when you double click the program icon to start.  The user would not know about a "lock file" without our explaining it.

Whereas Bill speaks of a visible error message, text unspecified.

PRL

-- Bill

Re: Forum question - Audacity lock file with Mac network accounts

Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman
Administrator
Maybe it is a system administration issue (permissions, launch-type, etc).