Quantcast

Fwd: Marinbe research application of Audacity

Fwd: Marinbe research application of Audacity

Gary Nelson-3

> A few years ago I suggested to the developers that Audacity could be a superb tool for acoustic analysis of ultrasonic vocalizations of cetaceans such as Harbor Porpoises.
>
> I am grateful that the crew then made a few tweaks that make it possible to use Audacity at sampling frequencies up to 1MHz.  Our porpoise project went fallow until now.  I am now using Mac OSX 10.8.3 and after using Audacity a couple times to successfully to edit a file sampled at 1MHz, I find that now all attempts to open old or new projects results in the project window coming in collapsed to a thin horizontal line that sometimes will respond to a mouse gesture, but mostly refuses to open.  If I open another project, another horizontal line appears.  If I collapse all apps with the Mac four finger sweep, Audacity appears as the familiar headphone icon with as many horizontal white lines as projects I have attempted to open. The application appears to be running (Activity Monitor shows it is ok) but the window is simply collapsed and won't open.
>
> This looks like some configuration or preference file has been corrupted, but I can't find any such Audacity files in the Library/Preferences. Can you suggest a way to get this going again?
>

> What I would like to make happen is to fix the few minor issues to allow all features to work with at least 1MHz sampling frequency.  The track spectrogram and Analyze/Spectrogram both work; the Nyquist equalization plugin works, but the the apple plugins I have tested don't inherit the sampling freq from the selected track, but seem to assume 44.1.  I just tested an apple high pass filter that did not work correctly.
>
> I want to analyze porpoise sounds with different track and Analyze spectrograms and will want to insert custom code in there.  I think what I do will be useful to many users as the spectrogram attempts to mimic the response of the cochlea; that is, it is proportional bandwidth. The impulse response is similar to a Gammatone.
>
> I am not competent with code development on this Mac, but have installed XCODE and am recruiting a friend who is a professional developer.  What is your recommended course of action to get this done?
>
> Would a donation to the program help? We don't have much of a budget, but are willing to help the cause.
>

> Gary Nelson

Re: Fwd: Marinbe research application of Audacity

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
On 3/30/2013 3:55 PM, Gary Nelson wrote:

>> A few years ago I suggested to the developers that Audacity could be a superb tool for acoustic analysis of ultrasonic vocalizations of cetaceans such as Harbor Porpoises.
>>
>> I am grateful that the crew then made a few tweaks that make it possible to use Audacity at sampling frequencies up to 1MHz.  Our porpoise project went fallow until now.  I am now using Mac OSX 10.8.3 and after using Audacity a couple times to successfully to edit a file sampled at 1MHz, I find that now all attempts to open old or new projects results in the project window coming in collapsed to a thin horizontal line that sometimes will respond to a mouse gesture, but mostly refuses to open.  If I open another project, another horizontal line appears.  If I collapse all apps with the Mac four finger sweep, Audacity appears as the familiar headphone icon with as many horizontal white lines as projects I have attempted to open. The application appears to be running (Activity Monitor shows it is ok) but the window is simply collapsed and won't open.

Glad your project is reviving, Gary. Sorry to hear you're experiencing
problems. I'm cc-ing our -quality list to see whether anyone there knows
about this problem. What version of Audacity are you using? Please make
sure it's the latest.

>> This looks like some configuration or preference file has been corrupted, but I can't find any such Audacity files in the Library/Preferences. Can you suggest a way to get this going again?

See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_Preferences for
instructions on how to reset prefs.

>> What I would like to make happen is to fix the few minor issues to allow all features to work with at least 1MHz sampling frequency.  The track spectrogram and Analyze/Spectrogram both work; the Nyquist equalization plugin works, but the the apple plugins I have tested don't inherit the sampling freq from the selected track, but seem to assume 44.1.  I just tested an apple high pass filter that did not work correctly.

Seems likely to me that those Apple plugins simply can't handle higher
than 44.1. If so, I don't think we can fix that within Audacity.

>> I want to analyze porpoise sounds with different track and Analyze spectrograms and will want to insert custom code in there.  I think what I do will be useful to many users as the spectrogram attempts to mimic the response of the cochlea; that is, it is proportional bandwidth. The impulse response is similar to a Gammatone.

If you submit a patch and consensus is that it's good for Audacity,
we'll accept it.

>> I am not competent with code development on this Mac, but have installed XCODE and am recruiting a friend who is a professional developer.  What is your recommended course of action to get this done?

Are you asking for development help from us as well? I've developed
custom versions of Audacity for several clients. We can discuss that
off-list if that's of interest.

>> Would a donation to the program help? We don't have much of a budget, but are willing to help the cause.

We appreciate that. As I say, if it's a complete patch, and good for
Audacity, we would likely accept that as donation.

That said, donations are generally welcome
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/donate/). :-)

- Vaughan