Quantcast

Fwd: Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

James Crook

On 4/5/2017 2:35 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
> Testing on W10 audacity-win-rfa62d80-2.2.0-alpha-05-apr-17
>
> Consolidated reporting this time ;-)
Thanks.  That helps.  And way better than raising bugs for these.

> 1) I have metering, input and output working again - but only if I don't
> change theme. If I change theme I need to restart to get metering back.
Fixed.  It was much harder to find out what was going wrong than it
looks from the commit.

> 2) Good to see the numbering back on the meters (I thought, James, from
> your commit comment hat you were removing it in the Dark theme - or is that only in DA?)
If you compile with EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get DA.  If you compile without
EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get Audacity.  More and more I am converting the
differences into options so that these become differences in default
choices of the options.

> 3) the buttons appear to switch properly now immediately on changing theme
> - this was not always the case in yesterday's build (previously unreported)
>
> 4) The dark theme now backfills the unused tooldock space with dark.  Both
> the light theme backfill with light.
>
> 5) The reticules on the two light themes are far too light and faint to be
> readily seen cf. 2.1.3 where they are much darker in traditional "Classic".  The light
> reticules look fine in the Dark theme.
What do you mean by reticules?  Do you mean lines round the mute/solo
buttons?
[Later] Ah, you're talking about the sliders.  Yes.  Sliders are not
behaving correctly.

> 6) The slider conrtols still all look truncated on the left in both light
> themes - sadly.   they look ok in Dark theme.  :-//
Yep.  Work to do there.

> 7) In Dark theme the Scrub Ruler (on by default) is very hard to visually
> distinguish, which
> could lead to folk accidentally straying into it and inadvertently invoking
> an unwanted Scrub.
I'll think on it.

> 8) Waveforms are not rendered in the correct theme colors still when
> changing themes.
They are for me.  Please check.

> 9) When you change from Dark to either of the two light themes (with a
> track in place) the padding ad the lft of the waveform scrollbar is padded with dark - and vice versa when switching from either light them to Dark.
Always padded with light for me.  Please check.

> 10) In Light theme the TCP controls remain far too dark - too much contrast
> with the rest of the TCP in that theme.  Loks fine to me in Classic and Dark.
Totally agree they are too dark.
10a) On all themes still need to do button colour adjustment for
selected/unselected.

> 11) Apart from the truncated slider controls and the light coloured
> reticule in the sliders the Classic theme looks pretty much like 2.1.3.
Yep.  Sliders need work.

> Nice work so far - I'm liking this a lot
>
> Peter.

Re: Fwd: Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

Stevethefiddle
I've uploaded Linux screenshots here:
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/5jDTC1qmjYd4MElpQm%2FETuES%2Fuokr0M7

Steve

On 5 April 2017 at 18:20, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/2017 2:35 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
>> Testing on W10 audacity-win-rfa62d80-2.2.0-alpha-05-apr-17
>>
>> Consolidated reporting this time ;-)
> Thanks.  That helps.  And way better than raising bugs for these.
>

>> 1) I have metering, input and output working again - but only if I don't
>> change theme. If I change theme I need to restart to get metering back.
> Fixed.  It was much harder to find out what was going wrong than it
> looks from the commit.
>
>> 2) Good to see the numbering back on the meters (I thought, James, from
>> your commit comment hat you were removing it in the Dark theme - or is that only in DA?)
> If you compile with EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get DA.  If you compile without
> EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get Audacity.  More and more I am converting the
> differences into options so that these become differences in default
> choices of the options.
>

>> 3) the buttons appear to switch properly now immediately on changing theme
>> - this was not always the case in yesterday's build (previously unreported)
>>
>> 4) The dark theme now backfills the unused tooldock space with dark.  Both
>> the light theme backfill with light.
>>
>> 5) The reticules on the two light themes are far too light and faint to be
>> readily seen cf. 2.1.3 where they are much darker in traditional "Classic".  The light
>> reticules look fine in the Dark theme.
> What do you mean by reticules?  Do you mean lines round the mute/solo
> buttons?
> [Later] Ah, you're talking about the sliders.  Yes.  Sliders are not
> behaving correctly.
>
>> 6) The slider conrtols still all look truncated on the left in both light
>> themes - sadly.   they look ok in Dark theme.  :-//
> Yep.  Work to do there.
>
>> 7) In Dark theme the Scrub Ruler (on by default) is very hard to visually
>> distinguish, which
>> could lead to folk accidentally straying into it and inadvertently invoking
>> an unwanted Scrub.
> I'll think on it.
>
>> 8) Waveforms are not rendered in the correct theme colors still when
>> changing themes.
> They are for me.  Please check.
>
>> 9) When you change from Dark to either of the two light themes (with a
>> track in place) the padding ad the lft of the waveform scrollbar is padded with dark - and vice versa when switching from either light them to Dark.
> Always padded with light for me.  Please check.
>

>> 10) In Light theme the TCP controls remain far too dark - too much contrast
>> with the rest of the TCP in that theme.  Loks fine to me in Classic and Dark.
> Totally agree they are too dark.
> 10a) On all themes still need to do button colour adjustment for
> selected/unselected.
>
>> 11) Apart from the truncated slider controls and the light coloured
>> reticule in the sliders the Classic theme looks pretty much like 2.1.3.
> Yep.  Sliders need work.
>

>> Nice work so far - I'm liking this a lot
>>
>> Peter.

Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 4/5/2017 2:35 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
Testing on W10 audacity-win-rfa62d80-2.2.0-alpha-05-apr-17

Consolidated reporting this time ;-)
Thanks.  That helps.  And way better than raising bugs for these.

1) I have metering, input and output working again - but only if I don't
change theme. If I change theme I need to restart to get metering back.
Fixed.  It was much harder to find out what was going wrong than it
looks from the commit.

2) Good to see the numbering back on the meters (I thought, James, from
your commit comment hat you were removing it in the Dark theme - or is that only in DA?)
If you compile with EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get DA.  If you compile without
EXPERIMENTAL_DA you get Audacity.  More and more I am converting the
differences into options so that these become differences in default
choices of the options.

OIC - cunning

3) the buttons appear to switch properly now immediately on changing theme
- this was not always the case in yesterday's build (previously unreported)

4) The dark theme now backfills the unused tooldock space with dark.  Both
the light theme backfill with light.

5) The reticules on the two light themes are far too light and faint to be
readily seen cf. 2.1.3 where they are much darker in traditional "Classic".  The light
reticules look fine in the Dark theme.
What do you mean by reticules?  Do you mean lines round the mute/solo
buttons?
[Later] Ah, you're talking about the sliders.  Yes.  Sliders are not
behaving correctly.

the little tick-marks on the sliders

6) The slider conrtols still all look truncated on the left in both light
themes - sadly.   they look ok in Dark theme.  :-//
Yep.  Work to do there.

7) In Dark theme the Scrub Ruler (on by default) is very hard to visually
distinguish, which
could lead to folk accidentally straying into it and inadvertently invoking
an unwanted Scrub.
I'll think on it.

8) Waveforms are not rendered in the correct theme colors still when
changing themes.
They are for me.  Please check.

Blow me down with a feather - on this retest yes it worls ok :-//

9) When you change from Dark to either of the two light themes (with a
track in place) the padding ad the lft of the waveform scrollbar is padded with dark - and vice versa when switching from either light them to Dark.
Always padded with light for me.  Please check.

And now this works on retest :-///

10) In Light theme the TCP controls remain far too dark - too much contrast
with the rest of the TCP in that theme.  Loks fine to me in Classic and Dark.
Totally agree they are too dark.
10a) On all themes still need to do button colour adjustment for
selected/unselected.

11) Apart from the truncated slider controls and the light coloured
reticule in the sliders the Classic theme looks pretty much like 2.1.3.
Yep.  Sliders need work.

Nice work so far - I'm liking this a lot

Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

Peter Sampson-2
10) Just discovered that if I change the Meter dB Range in Interface Prefs
then I lose metering until I close and restart Audacity.

This happens in today's and yesterday's nightlies and is a regression on 2.1.3.

Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

James Crook
On 4/5/2017 11:00 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
> 10) Just discovered that if I change the Meter dB Range in Interface Prefs
> then I lose metering until I close and restart Audacity.
>
> This happens in today's and yesterday's nightlies and is a regression on
> 2.1.3.
>
> Peter.

Thanks Peter.  Confirmed.  The 'meters not working' code is a little
tricky to track down as it is in code I didn't change. I'll have a
deeper look tomorrow.

Re: Latest "Themes" 05Apr17

Peter Sampson-2

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
And now no longer confirmed...
I think I had my microphone volume set to zero.

Could you check again?

Ooh yes, upping the mic slider helps a lot. <blushes deeply>

Sorry for the "noise".

Previously any change to preferences (not just Meter dB range) would prevent metering of monitoring.  I believe I fixed that yesterday about 5:30, and that that fix should be in yesterday's nightly.

Confirmed - testing on W10 audacity-win-r715da2b-2.2.0-alpha-06-apr-17

Also it looks like I can now swap themes and still get metering.

I do have to restart the ongoing monitoring after I have changed theme - but I'm guessing
that may be intended behaviour.

By the way, the problem was not my fault.  The problem would have happened without my theming changes.

hahaha - we don't work in a "blame culture" anyway ... ;-))