Guide to the Audacity Project Window

ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ Σ
High,
I see that the content of number 13 (Track Control Panel) and of number 14 (Audio Track ) is the same (Audio Tracks). Is that right?
Bye

Add strings from .desktop file to po file

scootergrisen
I cant seem to find any info that tells that the .desktop fil needs to
be translated.
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/src/audacity.desktop.in

I would prefer the strings be added to the po files and then extracted
from there so that translators only have to manage one po file.

Re: Guide to the Audacity Project Window

The Track Control panel is documented on the page about Audio Tracks.

Link 14 on the front page links to the Audio Tracks page.
Link 13 on the front page links to the section of the Audio Tracks page
that is about the Track Control Panel.  That is why it uses '#panel' in
the link.

I didn't write the manual, but I believe that is as intended.

--James.

On 7/7/2017 3:16 PM, ΔΗΜΗΤΡΗΣ Σ wrote:
> High,
> I see that the content of number 13 (*Track Control Panel
> <http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audio_tracks.html#panel>*) and of
> number 14 (*Audio Track
> <http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audio_tracks.html>* ) is the same
> (Audio Tracks). Is that right?
> Bye

Re: Add strings from .desktop file to po file

The desktop.in file isn't part of the actual program, and translation of
it is totally optional.
Similarly, we don't have to have translation of the manual or of the README.

Going beyond translating the program itself could be a lot of work - so
would need someone new to organise and coordinate it.

--James.

Den 07-07-2017 kl. 17:13 skrev James Crook:
> The desktop.in file isn't part of the actual program, and translation of
> it is totally optional.
> Similarly, we don't have to have translation of the manual or of the
> README.
>
> Going beyond translating the program itself could be a lot of work - so
> would need someone new to organise and coordinate it.
>
> --James.

Ok but then write instructions that the .desktop can be translated along
with what else can be translated.

Re: Add strings from .desktop file to po file

James Crook
scootergrisen....

The whole of http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.html can be
translated.  It just seems to me that it is a great deal of work for a
translator to do that, and it isn't part of what we (who write the
audacity code) are setting as the target.

For Audacity releases, it is only the .po file that we aim to have
translated.

Limiting translation to the .po file keeps things simple and clear.  And
it is also enough.  If the .po file is translated then the user
interface for Audacity is.

--James.

Den 07-07-2017 kl. 17:29 skrev James Crook:

> scootergrisen....
>
> The whole of http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.html can be
> translated.  It just seems to me that it is a great deal of work for a
> translator to do that, and it isn't part of what we (who write the
> audacity code) are setting as the target.
>
> For Audacity releases, it is only the .po file that we aim to have
> translated.
>
> Limiting translation to the .po file keeps things simple and clear.  And
> it is also enough.  If the .po file is translated then the user
> interface for Audacity is.
>

> --James.

I dont mean adding the manual to the po file.
I meant adding the 2-3 strings from the .desktop file into the po file.

On 7/7/2017 4:31 PM, scootergrisen wrote:

> Den 07-07-2017 kl. 17:29 skrev James Crook:
>> scootergrisen....
>>
>> The whole of http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.html can be
>> translated.  It just seems to me that it is a great deal of work for
>> a translator to do that, and it isn't part of what we (who write the
>> audacity code) are setting as the target.
>>
>> For Audacity releases, it is only the .po file that we aim to have
>> translated.
>>
>> Limiting translation to the .po file keeps things simple and clear.
>> And it is also enough.  If the .po file is translated then the user
>> interface for Audacity is.
>>

>> --James.
>
> I dont mean adding the manual to the po file.
> I meant adding the 2-3 strings from the .desktop file into the po file.

No.  They don't belong in the .po file, because we don't aim to have
them translated.

Re: Add strings from .desktop file to po file

scootergrisen
> No.  They don't belong in the .po file, because we don't aim to have
> them translated.

Why not aim to have them translated?
To me its like using alot of time translating a book but then not care
to translate the front cover.

I aim to give the users a complete translated experience so i would like
to translate as much as possible like the short cut/.desktop and Windows
installer and stuff like that.
Often i dont translate the manuals because of their size.

On 7/7/2017 4:52 PM, scootergrisen wrote:

>> No.  They don't belong in the .po file, because we don't aim to have
>> them translated.
>
> Why not aim to have them translated?
> To me its like using alot of time translating a book but then not care
> to translate the front cover.
>
> I aim to give the users a complete translated experience so i would
> like to translate as much as possible like the short cut/.desktop and
> Windows installer and stuff like that.

> Often i dont translate the manuals because of their size.
In other words, you choose to draw a line somewhere in what to translate
based on the effort involved.
We make that choice too, just in a different place to where you would
make it, if you were running the project.

If you want to volunteer to do the work to ensure that the text strings
from the shortcut, the installers, the desktop.in and from nyquist
plug-ins too are all collected into the one .po file, and after
translation distributed back out to the correct places, that would be
awesome.  It would benefit all translations.

This may sound a bit harsh.  It is not meant to be.  We greatly
appreciate the work that all translators do.  Someone decides where the
line is drawn on what to translate.  Limiting translation to what's
currently in the .po file keeps things simple and clear.

If you want to continue this discussion off-list, that's fine.

Re: Add strings from .desktop file to po file

Francisco Javier Lopez Ruiz
James buen dia:

La verdad no entiendo tu discurso, a que se debe.

Si me haces favor de explicarte mejor te lo voy a agradecer y si tienes alguna reclamación directa también te voy a contestar con mucho gusto.

Saludos

Francisco Javier López Ruiz
Puebla 1040, Col. California, La Paz, BCSur
Tel 01 (612) 1256899