Hello, Goodbye, Thanks, and Thoughts

Kermit Jones
Howdy folks!

My name is Kermit Jones and I've been on this list for several months now.

I originally joined to ask if anyone was interested in developing a "punch and roll" feature for audiobook narrators.  A tremendous amount of VO folks use Audacity, but the lack of P&R is significant. More on that in a bit.

I've worked on several OpenSource projects in the past - mainly in the interface testing, debugging, and documentation arena. I'm not a programmer, but I can easily bridge the gap to grasp concepts and discuss with both the programmers and the users.

All that to say - I know many of you put a lot of long hours into Audacity, and I am very grateful to each of you.  I realize it's often squeezed in between the cracks of things going on in your lives, which makes me all the more appreciative. It's an amazing piece of software!  THANK YOU!

As I mentioned, I was looking for P&R, and wanted to offer a small bounty (I know I can't afford to pay what you're worth) - a donation directly to you, to the project, to any non-profit, etc.  I'll register a star in your name, etc. :-)

I'd be happy to start with destructive Punch and Roll.  That would be enough for the vast majority of VO artists and much simpler to implement.  The reason: I think a lot more would get engaged with Audacity.  For a great example of the feature (and a program with a slick interface), I'd say check out OcenAudio. I use it for recording due to the smooth P&R, and then take a bath (I feel a bit dirty, mind you) and then switch into Audacity for all post-audio production stuff.

So that's my story. I understand there are always bigger fish to fry.  However, I really just wanted to say thank you. I've watched the list for a while to get an idea of the rhythm and to gain an appreciation for what you all do.

Again, thank you for your efforts and for a great piece of software!

Blessings to each of you,
Kermit

Re: Hello, Goodbye, Thanks, and Thoughts

Paul Licameli

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Kermit Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello, Kermit!

Speaking just for myself, not on behalf of the development team as a whole.

I have also used Audacity for narration.  That is what first got me interested in Audacity.  In my case, it led to my role as contributor, starting with version 2.1.0, and later a team member.  My initiatives in that version were the improved Noise Reduction effect and basic spectral editing.  In the following version I implemented scrubbing, which taught me much about the implementation details of recording and playback, so that I might also attempt the Punch and Roll recording.

I follow some discussion groups dedicated to narration, and I hear it repeatedly and have known it for a few years that the absence of Punch and Roll in Audacity is often mentioned as a reason to prefer some other program for recording.

You can be sure I have given thought to the problem.  I even made a crudely working destructive Punch and Roll with a few afternoons' work once.  But there are many other details to get right before such a thing is good enough to share with the world, and perhaps there should be some effort to make it non-destructive if it is done at all.

Meanwhile other projects have been taking priority for me -- lately it's been certain comprehensive code quality initiatives that make a more reliable program but don't add much in the way of visible features.

So no promises about how soon users will see such a thing.  But again, know that I think about the problem often.

Re: Hello, Goodbye, Thanks, and Thoughts

I don't recall a post from you but I have recorded a "vote" from you
(anonymous) for "destructive Punch and Roll". It does not mean it
will happen like that. It could turn out eventually to be a non-destructive
punch with stored layers. There will be no movement on this feature
for several months.

Thanks

Gale