Quantcast

Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999
Hi - I've been using Audacity for a few months - no problem, but this morning, everytime I go to record some obscure track on youtube - it just flatlines.

I can see something coming in via the monitoring, but there is no waveform being shown and nothing being recorded.

I haven't changed the system setting at all.

I can record using trial versions of other software but nothing in Audacity.

I've tried changing the host/recording devices - but still - nothing.

Really can't work out what's going on here?

Any clues most welcome!

Thanks!

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

M,

I have already answered this when you wrote to our feedback
address (which is not a support address).

Here is the answer again, given the operating system information
you provided there.

Please see this page to make sure that you have correct Windows 10
audio drivers supplied by the computer or motherboard manufacturer:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Windows_10_OS#drivers .

You may then have to go into Windows Sound:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#vistacp

to enable Stereo Mix or Wave Out for recording computer playback.

Then restart Audacity and choose Stereo Mix or Wave Out in
Device Toolbar:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/device_toolbar.html .

If ensuring you have correct drivers does not give you Stereo Mix
or Wave Out,  then you can record computer playback in Audacity
using the Windows WASAPI (loopback) method:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.1.2#wasapi .

Obviously we assume you have copyright holders' permission to
record the songs you desire from YouTube.

Please note that the audacity-users list requires subscription.
You can subscribe at:

Alternatively, please register on Audacity Forum then you can
ask for help there:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=46 .

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999
Hi Gale - thanks so much for your help so far with this.

I've followed your links and made appropriate adjustments.

However, it's still flatlining.
I'm able to record perfectly using trial versions of other audio recorders so I'm assuming its a problem within Audacity itself?

I don't have any error messages when try recording - it just flatlines - despite there being some movement in the 'monitoring' section.

I have it set to MME, Realteck Stereo etc...so maybe it's the drivers? How am I able to check I have the correct drivers on my system - I'm using the latest version of Windows.

Again - many thanks for your help with this.

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

The links I gave contain the answers to your questions. Get the correct
drivers for your computer model from your computer or motherboard
manufacturer:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Windows_10_OS#drivers .

Then try Audacity's Windows WASAPI loopback recording:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html#wasapi

(it applies to Windows 10 too).  The other recording applications that
work are almost certainly using WASAPI, so it should work with
Audacity too, but you have to tell Audacity to use WASAPI as below.

* In Audacity, open Device Toolbar
   http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/device_toolbar.html .
* In the first (Host) box of Device Toolbar, choose "Windows WASAPI"
* In the second (Recording Device) box, choose the (loopback) input for the
   speakers or headphones you are using for playback. For example, if you
   are using "Speakers" for listening to playback, choose "Speakers (loopback)"
   in this step.
* In the third (Recording Channels) box, choose mono or stereo.
* In the fourth (Playback Device) box, choose the Speakers or Headphones
   that you are using for listening.
* Start playing the audio you want to record.
* Press the big red Record button in Audacity.

I can't help you further with this because you are posting without being
subscribed and this list is only for users helping users. If you need more
help I suggest you register on Audacity Forum and ask there:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=46 .

If you are unsure of the what drivers you may need, tell the Forum the
make and model number of your computer then they can look up if
Windows 10 drivers are available.

Alternatively add an extension to your web browser and download
the video. Use your favourite search engine to find out how to do
that. Then add FFmpeg to your computer:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#ffdown

and drag the downloaded video into Audacity to obtain the audio.

Gale

weetabix999 wrote

Thank you Gale, changing the device tool settings worked :-)

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999
...sorry, but the quality of recording is now pretty bad.
The signal coming in is going into the red and I can't see a way of bringing it down....

Can you help?
Thanks again in advance.

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

Dave-211
Hi
in your soundcard or right click on the speaker to find sound properties you
should find volume controls ,recording and playback turn them down ,audacity
will normally take over the controls ???

    THANKYOU DAVE 211

...sorry, but the quality of recording is now pretty bad.
The signal coming in is going into the red and I can't see a way of bringing
it down....

Can you help?
Thanks again in advance.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
how is it
   connected to the computer?

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999
Thanks Dave,

but like you said - Audacity should manage the controls - as it did before - I don't want to start tinkering with the system settings.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

I still don't know what happened to Audacity as it was running like a dream....
Thanks.

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999
....so I turned down all of my soundcard settings - still no joy.

I'd really appreciate some help here?!!

Thanks.

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

Billy Geiger-4
​Ends up in my SPAM folder....

[hidden email]

        Billy Geiger
        Winder, GA.
      (40 miles east
         of Atlanta)

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM, weetabix999 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

what operating systems are you running if Linux do not know enough ????
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

Re: Help! Audacity suddenly flatlining?

weetabix999 wrote
...sorry, but the quality of recording is now pretty bad.
The signal coming in is going into the red and I can't see a way of bringing it down....

Can you help?
Thanks again in advance.
If you use the Windows WASAPI loopback method I suggested earlier
then the input is at a fixed, moderate level and won't distort.

If you are not using Windows 10 audio drivers then there is no
guarantee that any recording will work properly.

So as I also said, you can instead download the video, install FFmpeg,
and then drag the video file into Audacity. At that point the video's audio
is as good or bad as it is in the video and you have saved yourself the
trouble of recording.

If you have mislaid my previous response containing instructions
about WASAPI loopback and FFmpeg, please click this link:
https://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/audacity-users/thread/1474894286256-7576180.post%40n2.nabble.com/#msg35391839 .