Quantcast

Help enhancing voices

Catherine Getchell
Hi there list,
I'm new to the list and new to Audacity.  I'm running V. 1.3.12 on a Windows XP machine.  I've recently come upon a bunch of cassette tapes of family interviews done ten or more years ago.  They range in recording quality quite a bit.  I'm connecting the tape recorder's line out to the sound card of the computer and digitizing all the cassettes using Audacity.  I've found that I can get rid of some of the tape recorder hiss by running a conservatively-set low-pass filter.  But sometimes that erodes enough of the high speech frequencies that I sacrifice some intelligibility.  I tried using the noise removal feature, but I find this degrades all the audio instead of just getting rid of the noise.  I've tried the amplify feature, but this raises the noise level as well as the speech level.  Any suggestions on settings or effects I can use to enhance the signal to noise ratio for these recordings?  Thanks very much.
Catherine Getchell

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

David Reynolds
Catherine,

Noise reduction normally works fairly well. The trick is to find a section of noise with no talking, i.e. just noise that you want to get rid of. Once done, you can generate your noise print, and once your happy, remove the noise from the whole selection. You may have already done this, in which case I apologize.

David.

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
If it is about speech processing, you can safely cut off all
frequencies below 65Hz and above 11kHz with Audacity Equalizer (→ Draw
curves).
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Equalization

To improve the quality of recordings you may this:
http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3363#p13478
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/olympusrecorders.html

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

Dave-211
Hi
find a blank area of tape with no voice but recorded on, take noise sample and try it on a small section of the recording when happy with it run it on the rest, then raise the level of what's left as high as you can , then with the high pass filter knock out the low frequencies, then a low pass to knock out anything above say 4000 or something that sound correct to you.
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
QUOTE: "...then with the high pass filter knock out the low
frequencies, then a low pass to knock out anything above say 4000 or
something that sound correct to you."

Dave!

You may record your voice and study its sonogram with Audacity.
This may help you to understand how to use low pass filter for speech
recordings.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
It makes sense to avoid "noise removal", if possible.
Audacity Equalizer has Chebyshev filters inside (it makes the difference).

You may see this on sonogram (with Audacity), see examples of sonograms here:

Do you know how to open sonogram with Audacity?

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

Dave-211
Hi
why worry about anything below 300 and above 3500 is standard voice
bandwidth i.e. phone ??
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

> QUOTE: "...then with the high pass filter knock out the low
> frequencies, then a low pass to knock out anything above say 4000 or
> something that sound correct to you."
>
> Dave!
>
> You may record your voice and study its sonogram with Audacity.
> This may help you to understand how to use low pass filter for speech
> recordings.

> price-free!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following
> information, so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
> 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help
>  > About
>   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with,
> and how is it
>   connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
QUOTE: "why worry about anything below 300 and above 3500 is standard voice
bandwidth i.e. phone ??
    THANKYOU DAVE-211"

If I cut off all frequencies above 6kHz, my Russian voice would sound
very strange. The same is for German voices. Sometimes small children
have such "speech defects".

http://www.babycenter.com/0_speech-problems_65591.bc
"Lisping: Your preschooler may lisp or pronounce the s sound like a
th. "My sister is seven" becomes "My thithter ith theven." While the
"s" sound is normally produced with the tongue behind the top teeth, a
child who lisps pushes his tongue out. If your child's "s" sounds this
way, don't worry. Many kids lisp, and most outgrow it by age 7 with no
intervention at all."

If you do not know how to open sonogram with Audacity, you may ask
Gale to record a screencast for you.
It may also make sense to record a screencast for Equalizer.

see also:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Use_Cases#Audio_Cleaning
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

There are a lot of videos in YouTube...

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

Aleksandar Kostadinov
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Igor Chernenko
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you do not know how to open sonogram with Audacity, you may ask
> Gale to record a screencast for you.
> It may also make sense to record a screencast for Equalizer.

I can't understand what exactly are you talking about but it sounds
like you can find out with audacity what frequency range a particular
part of the audio is in. Is this correct and how one does it?

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
This is a sonogram of a male voice saying 'nineteenth century':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spectrogram-19thC.png

In Wikipedia it is named "Spectrogram"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrogram

You can name it how you want. Most important is that Audacity has this feature and it is very useful.
Do not forget to adjust resolution  (Edit → Preferences → Spectrograms)
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
Is it possible to access this with a screenreader?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Special Offer-- Download ArcSight Logger for FREE (a $49 USD value)! Finally, a world-class log management solution at an even better price-free! Download using promo code Free_Logger_4_Dev2Dev. Offer expires February 28th, so secure your free ArcSight Logger TODAY! http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP ************* When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can help you properly: * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1) * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About Audacity, or Audacity > About Audacity on a Mac computer) * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it connected to the computer? Mailing list: [hidden email] To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Help enhancing voices

igorche
QUOTE: "Is it possible to access this with a screenreader?"

Do you mean that "you are thinking the same way as Johnny"?

You can access that kind of "sonogram" in Audacity by clicking a few secret buttons in Audacity's GUI. Although, they are hidden in the most obvious place, it might be very difficult to find them. It seems to be a kind of very secret feature of Audacity, something really cabbalistic, very mysterious...

It might be very difficult to explain in words how to find it (it is so designed, for conspiracy reasons, perhaps). But it might be possible to record a kind of "secret screencast" with byzanz