Quantcast

How to replicate left channel in right channel

How to replicate left channel in right channel

JD-3
Hi all,
I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
audio, the other channel has silence.

Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?

Thanx,

JD

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

Mick Fuzz
On 04/08/12 06:02, JD wrote:
Hi all,
I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
audio, the other channel has silence.

Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?

it's easier to Split the stereo track and make the remaining one mono, so that it can be heard on both channels. This is outlined in the following chapter under the section Splitting Stereo Tracks
http://en.flossmanuals.net/audacity/advanced-editing/

nice one
Mick

--
In my signature this week, I am mainly promoting ....
http://clearerchannel.org -  Training, documentation, advice and media production

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

Johnny Rosenberg
2012/8/4 JD <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
> I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
> audio, the other channel has silence.
>
> Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
> into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?
>
> Thanx,
>
> JD

If you have several files to ”convert”, I wouldn't use Audacity for
it, but rather a command line tool, such as sox.
You didn't mention your operating system, so I assume Ubuntu. However,
sox is available for most operating systems.
If Ubuntu or other debian derivates, install with:
sudo apt-get install sox

Here's an example for converting a stereo- to a mono file using only
the left channel (it's not the only way to do this, just one example):
sox stereo.wav -c 1 mono.wav avg -l

-l is an non-capital -L, as in ”left”, not -1
-c 1 means mix to one channel.
avg -l means use left channel.

I suppose you could put a similar line in a bash script, converting
all the files in a folder to mono in one step.

Not the the command above gives you a new file, so the old one isn't changed.

As I see it, it's better to create a real mono file rather than a
stereo file with two identical channels. One reason is that a mono
file is smaller (in bytes) and still give you exactly the same sound.
Why have an extra channel if it's exactly the same anyway?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

2012/8/4 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/8/4 JD <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all,
>> I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
>> audio, the other channel has silence.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
>> into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?
>>
>> Thanx,
>>
>> JD
>
> If you have several files to ”convert”, I wouldn't use Audacity for
> it, but rather a command line tool, such as sox.
> You didn't mention your operating system, so I assume Ubuntu. However,
> sox is available for most operating systems.
> If Ubuntu or other debian derivates, install with:
> sudo apt-get install sox
>
> Here's an example for converting a stereo- to a mono file using only
> the left channel (it's not the only way to do this, just one example):
> sox stereo.wav -c 1 mono.wav avg -l

Ok, seems like that doesn't work. I searched for it and maybe the page
I found was too old or something, but it doesn't seem like the current
version of sox supports avg anymore, so I made some tests of my own.
Here's the resulting line of those tests (I used a flac file for my
tests, but any supported file format will do):
sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -l

First I created stereo.flac with Audacity. The file contains two
channels: DTMF-stuff in the left channel and silence in the right one.
The total length of my example file is 1 s. Yes, that doesn't matter…
The resulting mono.flac contains one channel only, which is the same
as the left channel of the stereo.flac file.

Doing this conversion in Audacity is easy too, but not very effective
if you have a lot of files to work with:
Load the file into Audacity, in my case stereo.flac.
To the left of the wave form, there is a button with the text ”stereo
1 ▾”. Click it and select ”Split stereo track”.
Click somewhere in the silent track, then Track → Delete track (or
maybe Track → Erase track? I run Audacity in Swedish, so I'm just
guessing here)
File → Export

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> -l is an non-capital -L, as in ”left”, not -1
> -c 1 means mix to one channel.
> avg -l means use left channel.
>
> I suppose you could put a similar line in a bash script, converting
> all the files in a folder to mono in one step.
>
> Not the the command above gives you a new file, so the old one isn't changed.
>
> As I see it, it's better to create a real mono file rather than a
> stereo file with two identical channels. One reason is that a mono
> file is smaller (in bytes) and still give you exactly the same sound.
> Why have an extra channel if it's exactly the same anyway?
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

Johnny Rosenberg
2012/8/4 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

> 2012/8/4 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:
>> 2012/8/4 JD <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
>>> audio, the other channel has silence.
>>>
>>> Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
>>> into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> If you have several files to ”convert”, I wouldn't use Audacity for
>> it, but rather a command line tool, such as sox.
>> You didn't mention your operating system, so I assume Ubuntu. However,
>> sox is available for most operating systems.
>> If Ubuntu or other debian derivates, install with:
>> sudo apt-get install sox
>>
>> Here's an example for converting a stereo- to a mono file using only
>> the left channel (it's not the only way to do this, just one example):
>> sox stereo.wav -c 1 mono.wav avg -l
>
> Ok, seems like that doesn't work. I searched for it and maybe the page
> I found was too old or something, but it doesn't seem like the current
> version of sox supports avg anymore, so I made some tests of my own.
> Here's the resulting line of those tests (I used a flac file for my
> tests, but any supported file format will do):
> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -l

According to the sox manual (man sox), the -l option (meaning left
channel) is supposed to be used with quad-channel files, so this line
is probably better (although both seems to work in my tests):
sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -1

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

> First I created stereo.flac with Audacity. The file contains two
> channels: DTMF-stuff in the left channel and silence in the right one.
> The total length of my example file is 1 s. Yes, that doesn't matter…
> The resulting mono.flac contains one channel only, which is the same
> as the left channel of the stereo.flac file.
>
> Doing this conversion in Audacity is easy too, but not very effective
> if you have a lot of files to work with:
> Load the file into Audacity, in my case stereo.flac.
> To the left of the wave form, there is a button with the text ”stereo
> 1 ▾”. Click it and select ”Split stereo track”.
> Click somewhere in the silent track, then Track → Delete track (or
> maybe Track → Erase track? I run Audacity in Swedish, so I'm just
> guessing here)
> File → Export
> …
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>

>> -l is an non-capital -L, as in ”left”, not -1
>> -c 1 means mix to one channel.
>> avg -l means use left channel.
>>
>> I suppose you could put a similar line in a bash script, converting
>> all the files in a folder to mono in one step.
>>
>> Not the the command above gives you a new file, so the old one isn't changed.
>>
>> As I see it, it's better to create a real mono file rather than a
>> stereo file with two identical channels. One reason is that a mono
>> file is smaller (in bytes) and still give you exactly the same sound.
>> Why have an extra channel if it's exactly the same anyway?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

Dave-211
Hi JD
the easiest way is to display both tracks , split stereo tracks , select track with signal , copy, and then select the track without signal and paste , then recombine to stereo track and save as what you want.
I am using XP
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

On 08/04/2012 04:14 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2012/8/4 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

>>> If you have several files to ”convert”, I wouldn't use Audacity for
>>> it, but rather a command line tool, such as sox.
>>> You didn't mention your operating system, so I assume Ubuntu. However,
>>> sox is available for most operating systems.
>>> If Ubuntu or other debian derivates, install with:
>>> sudo apt-get install sox
>>>
>>> Here's an example for converting a stereo- to a mono file using only
>>> the left channel (it's not the only way to do this, just one example):
>>> sox stereo.wav -c 1 mono.wav avg -l
>> Ok, seems like that doesn't work. I searched for it and maybe the page
>> I found was too old or something, but it doesn't seem like the current
>> version of sox supports avg anymore, so I made some tests of my own.
>> Here's the resulting line of those tests (I used a flac file for my
>> tests, but any supported file format will do):
>> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -l
> According to the sox manual (man sox), the -l option (meaning left
> channel) is supposed to be used with quad-channel files, so this line
> is probably better (although both seems to work in my tests):
> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -1
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>
>> First I created stereo.flac with Audacity. The file contains two
>> channels: DTMF-stuff in the left channel and silence in the right one.
>> The total length of my example file is 1 s. Yes, that doesn't matter…
>> The resulting mono.flac contains one channel only, which is the same
>> as the left channel of the stereo.flac file.
>>
>> Doing this conversion in Audacity is easy too, but not very effective
>> if you have a lot of files to work with:
>> Load the file into Audacity, in my case stereo.flac.
>> To the left of the wave form, there is a button with the text ”stereo
>> 1 ▾”. Click it and select ”Split stereo track”.
>> Click somewhere in the silent track, then Track → Delete track (or
>> maybe Track → Erase track? I run Audacity in Swedish, so I'm just
>> guessing here)
>> File → Export
>> …
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
>>
>>> -l is an non-capital -L, as in ”left”, not -1
>>> -c 1 means mix to one channel.
>>> avg -l means use left channel.
>>>
>>> I suppose you could put a similar line in a bash script, converting
>>> all the files in a folder to mono in one step.
>>>
>>> Not the the command above gives you a new file, so the old one isn't changed.
>>>
>>> As I see it, it's better to create a real mono file rather than a
>>> stereo file with two identical channels. One reason is that a mono
>>> file is smaller (in bytes) and still give you exactly the same sound.
>>> Why have an extra channel if it's exactly the same anyway?
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Thank you very much Johnny!
I certainly appreciate you digging into this
and finding the answer.

Regards,

JD

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

JD-3
On 08/04/2012 04:14 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> According to the sox manual (man sox), the -l option (meaning left
> channel) is supposed to be used with quad-channel files, so this line
> is probably better (although both seems to work in my tests):
> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -1
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
I built
$ sox --version
sox:      SoX v14.4.0

from source (from sourceforge), and tried your
command line.
It did not produce what I wanted, i.e. for audacity
to show that both left and right channels have the same
identical waveforms.

Regards,

JD

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

JD-3
On 08/04/2012 04:14 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> According to the sox manual (man sox), the -l option (meaning left
> channel) is supposed to be used with quad-channel files, so this line
> is probably better (although both seems to work in my tests):
> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -1
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
The command below achieved what I wanted, albeit, in an unexpected way:

sox Kriya_Yoga.mp3     Kriya_Yoga-mono.mp3 remix 1,2

audacity displays Kriya_Yoga-mono.mp3 as having a single wave form
of only a single channel. The other channel is not even displayed. When
I play the file, the output level meters for left and right channel rise and
fall in unison.

Cheers,

2012/8/5 JD <[hidden email]>:

> On 08/04/2012 04:14 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> According to the sox manual (man sox), the -l option (meaning left
>> channel) is supposed to be used with quad-channel files, so this line
>> is probably better (although both seems to work in my tests):
>> sox stereo.flac -c 1 mono.flac mixer -1
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
> I built
> $ sox --version
> sox:      SoX v14.4.0
>
> from source (from sourceforge), and tried your
> command line.
> It did not produce what I wanted, i.e. for audacity
> to show that both left and right channels have the same
> identical waveforms.
>
> Regards,
>
> JD

No, because it produces a mono file, that is a file with only one
channel. Exactly why do you need two identical channels? A mono file
is played back with sound in both right and left channels anyway, so
there should be no need to have an extra, redundant, channel, only
occupying space for no obvious reason. Not that it's my business, but
it would be interesting to know why you need that.

Anyway, I guess the following command does what you seem to want:
sox stereo.flac -c 2 mono.flac remix -1

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: How to replicate left channel in right channel

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 09:15:01 +0100
mick fuzz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/08/12 06:02, JD wrote: Hi all,
> >  I have several mp3 audios where only one channel has
> >  audio, the other channel has silence.
> >
> >  Is there a way for me to copy only the channel that has audio
> >  into the clipboard, and paste it into the channel that is all silence?
> it's easier to Split the stereo track and make the remaining one mono,
> so that it can be heard on both channels. This is outlined in the
> following chapter under the section Splitting Stereo Tracks
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/audacity/advanced-editing/

Are FLOSS going to update their Audacity Manual to 2.0.x
do you know, rather than keep outdated documentation?

The official Audacity Manual describes Split Stereo to Mono,
which would save one step:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/track_drop_down_menu.html .