Quantcast

How to rewind/fast forward small atped portions

How to rewind/fast forward small atped portions

Nancy Stewart
Hello:

Here is my very simple question.

I want to rewind a specific area of the recording
also want to fast forward or skip a section of the recording.

I can not move the lever to a specific area of the recording that I want
to listen to over and over again.  It just pops back to the original
position, and I have to listen to the entire length of the  recording all over
and over again.  These are atleast 1 hour recordings and I need to be able
to select rewind and fast forward to specific areas of the recording.

Can you please help me with this.

Thank You
Nancy Stewart
949-248-0104

Re: How to rewind/fast forward small atped portions

Gale Andrews

    | From "Nancy Stewart" <[hidden email]>
    | Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:15:33 -0700
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] How to rewind/fast forward small atped portions
    | I want to rewind a specific area of the recording
    | also want to fast forward or skip a section of the recording.
    | I can not move the lever to a specific area of the recording
    | that I want to listen to over and over again.  It just pops back
    | to the original position, and I have to listen to the entire length
    | of the  recording all over  and over again.  These are atleast
    | 1 hour recordings and I need to be able to select rewind and
    | fast forward to specific areas of the recording.

Selecting an area you want to play back is easy:  you select part of
a track by clicking in the track and dragging to left or right with
your mouse, or with the left or right arrow keys. Then pressing play
or the spacebar will play the selected area.

The |<< button skips to the start of the track and the >>| button
skips to the end of it.

You can move the playback position (from which playback will
always start) backwards or forwards anywhere on the visible
screen by moving it with the left or right arrow keys on your
keyboard and hitting spacebar once; or (quicker) by clicking in
the track at the desired point and hitting spacebar once. If you
want to immediately play from that new point, move the cursor
with the arrows or click in the track at the desired point and hit
spacebar twice.

Note that if the track is zoomed, you cannot scroll to find a new
playback position while the track is playing, unless you click Edit >
Preferences > Interface > and uncheck "autoscroll while playing".
If that feature is checked the scroll is locked to the playback
position, and you would have to fit the Project in the window so
you don't need to scroll, by clicking the "fit Project in window"
button on the extreme right of the Edit toolbar.

The Beta version 1.3.1 of Audacity which you could try if you
wished as a test release
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-macosx-1.3.1-beta.dmg
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-win-1.3.1-beta.exe

has a "seek" function similar to that in media players, whereby you
can seek by pre-determined amounts of time during playback by using
the arrow keys of your keyboard. If you want to change the playback
position by clicking in the track, you can now also click in the track
with control key depressed to restart playback from that point instead
of click and double spacebar.

In addition you can in this version move the cursor, or have it define
a selection area, by entering values in a "selection bar" at the bottom
of the screen, and there is a special playback button with attached
speed slider which allows you to play back at fast or slow speeds.  .

Note that currently the Beta cannot open projects created by
Audacity 1.0 to  1.2.x and vice-versa.

You can read about some of the other new features in the Beta
here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/features-1.3-a

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.