Import Appended

Peter Sampson-2
I've been having a quick look through our highest-rated Feature Requests
and one that has caught my is is "Import Appended":

This particularly grabbed me because now that we have record-beside (Appended recording)
as the default - now would seem an extremely apposite time to be dealing with this FR as a
companion piece to the new default recording.

Thoughts?

Re: Import Appended

Peter Sampson-2
In order to keep a little focus on this popular Feature Request I created
a proposal for it in the Wiki:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Proposal:_Import_Appended

That was a useful exercise as it made me think a little more about it.

I now think, as expressed in the proposal, that appended audio import should
now be the default - and that we should add a new command for importing audio
on new tracks.

This way around, so as to be consistent with our changed behaviors for
Record mode in 2.2.0 where record-beside (appended recording) is the
new default.

Peter

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been having a quick look through our highest-rated Feature Requests
and one that has caught my is is "Import Appended":

This particularly grabbed me because now that we have record-beside (Appended recording)
as the default - now would seem an extremely apposite time to be dealing with this FR as a
companion piece to the new default recording.

Thoughts?

Re: Import Appended

Stevethefiddle
On 6 June 2017 at 14:17, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In order to keep a little focus on this popular Feature Request I created
> a proposal for it in the Wiki:
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Proposal:_Import_Appended
>
> That was a useful exercise as it made me think a little more about it.
>
> I now think, as expressed in the proposal, that appended audio import should
> now be the default - and that we should add a new command for importing
> audio
> on new tracks.
>
> This way around, so as to be consistent with our changed behaviors for
> Record mode in 2.2.0 where record-beside (appended recording) is the
> new default.

It may be "consistent", but it's problematic when multiple files are
selected for import. There's no way that Audacity can know what order
the user wants the files, which is not a major problem when imported
as separate tracks because they can easily be rearranged, but is very
important if imported end to end on the same track.

Unless / until we have an "import manager" or "clip handler" of some
sort, I would keep "import to new track" as the default", and restrict
"append import" to a single selected file (which could be a LOF file).

Steve