Improving Recording experience

Robert Hänggi
Hi all
Now that we have switched to append record as default, there come a
couple of things to my mind that could help the user.

1. Pausing the recording
   this feature seems to be broken. Pressing pause stops shortly but
resumes recording almost immediately.

2. Accessing last recording
   When a recording is done, the selection will still be the same. I
see a recording as an individual item and we should allow that it can
be accessed in its entirety. I suggest therefore to automatically add
a "Split clip" before the recording starts.

3. Roll-in
   I normally prefer the record below option, firstly because I can
record anywhere and secondly because I can hear some audio before the
actual recording point. This has not been ideal though because I
always had to clean up the trash. Append record starts unfortunately
immediately at the track end. This is certainly not very helpful for
e.g. correct a mistake in a sentence or to play in a musical phrase. I
therefore suggest that we add a "Roll-in" option.
Reaper has it for both, recording and playback and it resides in
preferences. They have it in measures but we can as well allow to give
it in seconds.
If you wonder what a roll-in for playback brings: You can use it with
Loop Play where the roll-in is played once and the selection loops
over and over.
Another important aspect of roll-in: you have enough time to prepare
for recording--clean your throat, grab your instrument.

Robert

Re: Improving Recording experience

On 27 May 2017 at 07:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all
> Now that we have switched to append record as default, there come a
> couple of things to my mind that could help the user.
>
> 1. Pausing the recording
>    this feature seems to be broken. Pressing pause stops shortly but
> resumes recording almost immediately.

What are you using as a recording device, Robert? I don't see any
difference compared to 2.1.3 Append Record, using internal mic and
MME host.

You can always change back to Record New Track in Preferences.

> 2. Accessing last recording
>    When a recording is done, the selection will still be the same. I
> see a recording as an individual item and we should allow that it can
> be accessed in its entirety. I suggest therefore to automatically add
> a "Split clip" before the recording starts.

Yes I thought it was already agreed this was sensible.

Note that it likely *will* annoy some users who "can't remove the black
marks from the recording".

And I still feel it's a flaw that a split line shows up as energy in
Spectrogram.

> 3. Roll-in
>    I normally prefer the record below option, firstly because I can
> record anywhere and secondly because I can hear some audio before the
> actual recording point. This has not been ideal though because I
> always had to clean up the trash. Append record starts unfortunately
> immediately at the track end. This is certainly not very helpful for
> e.g. correct a mistake in a sentence or to play in a musical phrase. I
> therefore suggest that we add a "Roll-in" option.

Yes, I always said that default Append Record would raise the priority
of pre-roll (and punch-in).

It's up to RM but I think these improvements may have been deferred
until after 2.2.0.

You can still always open a new track first, place the cursor at the
count-in, then Append Record into that new track. Overdub of the
previous track still works.

Gale

On 27/05/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 May 2017 at 07:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Now that we have switched to append record as default, there come a
>> couple of things to my mind that could help the user.
>>
>> 1. Pausing the recording
>>    this feature seems to be broken. Pressing pause stops shortly but
>> resumes recording almost immediately.
>
> What are you using as a recording device, Robert? I don't see any
> difference compared to 2.1.3 Append Record, using internal mic and
> MME host.

I've tried it with the old style record new (to hear the other audio).
Input = mic and host is MME or Wasapi.
It invariably refuses to pause.

> You can always change back to Record New Track in Preferences.
>

>> 2. Accessing last recording
>>    When a recording is done, the selection will still be the same. I
>> see a recording as an individual item and we should allow that it can
>> be accessed in its entirety. I suggest therefore to automatically add
>> a "Split clip" before the recording starts.
>
> Yes I thought it was already agreed this was sensible.
>
> Note that it likely *will* annoy some users who "can't remove the black
> marks from the recording".
>
> And I still feel it's a flaw that a split line shows up as energy in
> Spectrogram.

Totally.

>> 3. Roll-in
>>    I normally prefer the record below option, firstly because I can
>> record anywhere and secondly because I can hear some audio before the
>> actual recording point. This has not been ideal though because I
>> always had to clean up the trash. Append record starts unfortunately
>> immediately at the track end. This is certainly not very helpful for
>> e.g. correct a mistake in a sentence or to play in a musical phrase. I
>> therefore suggest that we add a "Roll-in" option.
>
> Yes, I always said that default Append Record would raise the priority
> of pre-roll (and punch-in).
>
> It's up to RM but I think these improvements may have been deferred
> until after 2.2.0.

This is not the full-blown feature set of punch-in, multi-take etc.
Roll-in would just sweeten the (somewhat hard) migration from one
recording behaviour to another.
I don't know how far Paul is with his refactoring process. However,
roll-in wouldn't interfere with that.
For a beginning, the "Preview before Cut" value could be taken as a count-in.
Anyway, I'm sure Paul has something up his sleeve for the next
version--if yet not hedged.

 > You can still always open a new track first, place the cursor at the
> count-in, then Append Record into that new track. Overdub of the
> previous track still works.

But this will still record the trash before the actual wanted
recording point. This is actually the same as Shift+R, is it not?

Thanks
Robert

> Gale
>

>> Reaper has it for both, recording and playback and it resides in
>> preferences. They have it in measures but we can as well allow to give
>> it in seconds.
>> If you wonder what a roll-in for playback brings: You can use it with
>> Loop Play where the roll-in is played once and the selection loops
>> over and over.
>> Another important aspect of roll-in: you have enough time to prepare
>> for recording--clean your throat, grab your instrument.

Re: Improving Recording experience

Cliff Scott

On May 29, 2017, at 7:32 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27/05/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27 May 2017 at 07:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all
Now that we have switched to append record as default, there come a
couple of things to my mind that could help the user.

1. Pausing the recording
  this feature seems to be broken. Pressing pause stops shortly but
resumes recording almost immediately.

What are you using as a recording device, Robert? I don't see any
difference compared to 2.1.3 Append Record, using internal mic and
MME host.

I've tried it with the old style record new (to hear the other audio).
Input = mic and host is MME or Wasapi.
It invariably refuses to pause.

Works fine here on my Mac. In Sound Activated Recording the Pause seems to be disabled so it's unpausable. To my way of thinking Pause should work in that mode as well.

Cliff

[...]

Clif, you're a hero.
Indeed, sound activated recording was checked. :Oops:

Robert

On 29/05/2017, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On May 29, 2017, at 7:32 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 27/05/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> What are you using as a recording device, Robert? I don't see any
>>> difference compared to 2.1.3 Append Record, using internal mic and
>>> MME host.
>>
>> I've tried it with the old style record new (to hear the other audio).
>> Input = mic and host is MME or Wasapi.
>> It invariably refuses to pause.
>
> Works fine here on my Mac. In Sound Activated Recording the Pause seems to
> be disabled so it's unpausable. To my way of thinking Pause should work in
> that mode as well.
>
> Cliff
>

>>> You can always change back to Record New Track in Preferences.

>>> Yes I thought it was already agreed this was sensible.
>>>
>>> Note that it likely *will* annoy some users who "can't remove the black
>>> marks from the recording".
>>>
>>> And I still feel it's a flaw that a split line shows up as energy in
>>> Spectrogram.
>>
>> Totally.

>>> Yes, I always said that default Append Record would raise the priority
>>> of pre-roll (and punch-in).
>>>
>>> It's up to RM but I think these improvements may have been deferred
>>> until after 2.2.0.
>>>

>> This is not the full-blown feature set of punch-in, multi-take etc.
>> Roll-in would just sweeten the (somewhat hard) migration from one
>> recording behaviour to another.
>> I don't know how far Paul is with his refactoring process. However,
>> roll-in wouldn't interfere with that.
>> For a beginning, the "Preview before Cut" value could be taken as a
>> count-in.
>> Anyway, I'm sure Paul has something up his sleeve for the next
>> version--if yet not hedged.
>>

>>> You can still always open a new track first, place the cursor at the
>>> count-in, then Append Record into that new track. Overdub of the
>>> previous track still works.
>>>
>> But this will still record the trash before the actual wanted
>> recording point. This is actually the same as Shift+R, is it not?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Robert
>>>
>>> Gale

>>> Gale

Re: Improving Recording experience

Cliff Scott
Robert,

Thanks Robert, but I have to credit having bumped my head against sound activated recording issues myself and it fit the pattern. Wish we could solve all "bugs" that easily. :))

Cliff