Quantcast

Input Source Options Grayed-Out

amstuart
Hi:

I am using Audacity 1.2.6, running on Win XP Home Edition, SP3. I am trying to transfer cassettes to my PC. I purchased an ADS Tech Instant Music USB 2.0 piece of hardware that has RCA line-in for audio from my stereo receiver. The ADS unit connects via USB 2.0 to my PC. Audacity 1.2.6 has a drop-down menu for Line-In (Stereo Mix, Line Volume, Mic Volume). The drop-down menu is unavailable (grayed-out) as soon as my ADS unit is plugged into the PC. No error messages in Device Manager, and Audacity can otherwise import audio already on my PC.  How can I use Audacity with an external USB device if I cannot select the input source? I do not have RCS audio jacks on my PC nor an available slot for a card, thus the need for this ADS Tech device.

Thank you.

Adam

Re: Input Source Options Grayed-Out

Dave-211
Hi
As soon as you plug in your USB sound it will become the default sound ,so will have to go and select it ,the small speaker on task bar and right click and you IP and OP will come to life, you may also have to change in preferences in audacity .
    THANKYOU DAVE

I am using Audacity 1.2.6, running on Win XP Home Edition, SP3. I am trying to transfer cassettes to my PC. I purchased an ADS Tech Instant Music USB 2.0 piece of hardware that has RCA line-in for audio from my stereo receiver. The ADS unit connects via USB 2.0 to my PC. Audacity 1.2.6 has a drop-down menu for Line-In (Stereo Mix, Line Volume, Mic Volume). The drop-down menu is unavailable (grayed-out) as soon as my ADS unit is plugged into the PC. No error messages in Device Manager, and Audacity can otherwise import audio already on my PC.  How can I use Audacity with an external USB device if I cannot select the input source? I do not have RCS audio jacks on my PC nor an available slot for a card, thus the need for this ADS Tech device.

Thank you.

Adam

Re: Input Source Options Grayed-Out

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:30:13 -0400
"amstuart" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using Audacity 1.2.6, running on Win XP Home Edition, SP3. I am trying
> to transfer cassettes to my PC. I purchased an ADS Tech Instant Music USB
> 2.0 piece of hardware that has RCA line-in for audio from my stereo
> receiver. The ADS unit connects via USB 2.0 to my PC. Audacity 1.2.6 has a
> drop-down menu for Line-In (Stereo Mix, Line Volume, Mic Volume). The
> drop-down menu is unavailable (grayed-out) as soon as my ADS unit is plugged
> into the PC. No error messages in Device Manager, and Audacity can otherwise
> import audio already on my PC.  How can I use Audacity with an external USB
> device if I cannot select the input source? I do not have RCS audio jacks on
> my PC nor an available slot for a card, thus the need for this ADS Tech
> device.

I expect like most USB devices that aren't complete sound cards, it works
on a "single input" basis; if input is connected to its RCA jacks it sends
that, and if input is connected to its SPDIF jack, it sends that. So all you
need to do is go to the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences (at the
bottom of the Edit menu) and choose "USB Audio Codec" or similar
description, and then record.

As your inbuilt sound device is apparently able to record line-in, you
don't necessarily need this USB gizmo at all - just buy a cable with RCA
jacks on one end and a 1/8 inch jack on the other to go into line-in on
the computer. It's still possible the gizmo might give better results
than line-in on the computer - it might be quieter and have a better
analogue to digital converter. Note however there are reports that
the output of the gizmo is too high and can't be controlled by Audacity
(but might be controllable if you record using its own software):
http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6351

Please also see our existing documentation about recording tapes and
LPs:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=recording&i=records-tapes
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_tapes_and_records_to_computer_or_CD

Cassette Deck connected to Line-In on PC

amstuart
Hi:

I went to Radioshack and purchased a 1/8" male stereo plug and RCA female audio adapter. My Pioneer cassette deck is connected to my Pioneer receiver, and line-out from the receiver to my PC Line-in. With the volume on my Gateway PC speakers turned to 10, I can <barely> hear the cassette tape. The stereo speakers work fine with the tape being played. I open Audacity 1.2.6 and select my Realtek HD Audio (playback and recording devices). The drop-down menu for the Monitor Input seems to work fine as the bar scales move as the music plays. Playback and Recording Devices are set to Realtek HDA Primary Output and Input, respectively. Recording is a straight line in real time that gets wider and wider as a function of time. If I record for 15 seconds, the playback sounds like  a machine gun that gets louder and louder as a function of time, without touching the PC speaker volume. So, no music through the PC speakers and no recording of the music that I hear through the stereo speakers. Would it matter if I used line-out from the cassette deck to line-in on the PC?
I am running Win XP Home edition, Gateway desktop.

Frustrated.

Adam