Quantcast

Installation fails

carrt7
(audacity-win-r12360-2.0.4-alpha-debug-10-jun-13, HP530 laptop, Win7Ultimate 32bit)

aving uninstalled all previous versions of Audacity, I downloaded the latest (.exe) to my Downloads directory, double-clicked it, and got an error message "Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration in incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Don't know how to view event-logs.  <sxstrace.exe> appears to need options, doesn't visibly do anything.  Its desk-top icon shows Audacity has correctly installed in "C:\Program Files\Audacity alpha (debug)\audacity.exe", and plans to start in "C:\Program Files\Audacity alpha (debug)".

Aarghh!  I'm stuck, can't work!  Will it help to uninstall everything and reinstall 2.0.3?

hanks, Tony

Build for Windows Store.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: Installation fails

carrt7
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:

(audacity-win-r12360-2.0.4-alpha-debug-10-jun-13, HP530 laptop, Win7Ultimate 32bit)

aving uninstalled all previous versions of Audacity, I downloaded the latest (.exe) to my Downloads directory, double-clicked it, and got an error message "Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration in incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

Don't know how to view event-logs.  <sxstrace.exe> appears to need options, doesn't visibly do anything.  Its desk-top icon shows Audacity has correctly installed in "C:\Program Files\Audacity alpha (debug)\audacity.exe", and plans to start in "C:\Program Files\Audacity alpha (debug)".

OK.  To read the "application log" I used ControlPanel > System&Security > AdministrativeTools > EventViewer.  In the left pane I chose CustomView > AdministrativeEvents.  The very first one was:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Audacity alpha (debug)\audacity.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Googling the forums suggests that (a) this version of Audacity is a debugging version which my Windows installation is not equipped to run, and (b) that sxstrace.exe users need an IQ of about 160.  If this is correct, I must give up!

Tony

--
www.godornot.org

[...]

Oh dear, egg-on-face time again.  I don't need an IQ of 160, but I do need to be able to READ.  The "current" nightly download is from 10 June 13, but it's entitled Audacity-alpha .... -DEBUG.exe  - that might have clued me in?

The penultimate nightly download is from 5th June, is not a debug version, and works just FINE.  Sorry everyone!
Dimmo Tony