Instructions for building on Windows

Stevethefiddle
Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?

To build on Windows 10 64-bit:

1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
what is the exact file name?

2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?

3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

James Crook
I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning

The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
'old' cruft in them.
2 and 3 are answered by
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows

> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork
> of the wxWidgets project:
> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>
> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).

All the build instructions need quite a bit of work.  The Mac
instructions are probably in the best state currently.

--James.

On 6/6/2017 12:20 AM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>
> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>
> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
> what is the exact file name?
>
> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>
> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Mark Young
Hi Steve,

I can help you with this.

VS Express is now VS Community 2013 - https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2013-community-vs.  Unsure of the exact file name but that is the link to the documentation.

wxWidgets
wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z

The Audacity repo contains a file - win/compile.txt - which details the patching.  An excerpt below...

3.2. We have patched wxWidgets with four patches.  You should apply all
   four.  You can do this in one step by copying the folder
     "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
   over your:
     "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
   This applies the four patches.
      1: accessibility.diff Enables accessibility features.
            Less diagnostics in release builds.
      2: changeset_14f05... Allows disabling HiDPI 'awareness'.
      3: changeset_0797a... Fix bug in accessibility.
      4: fix_rename.diff Workaround for failures in the wxWidgets
      wxRenameFile function.
   The 'less diagnostics' in patch 1 gives the same level of diagnostics as
   we had with wxWidgets 2.8.12.  We found that some diagnostics in release
   builds that came in with wx 3.0.2 were causing us more problems than they
   were solving.
   HiDPI awareness is for high definition monitors, but does not work
   well for Audacity yet.

   The details of the patches are in the .diff files in the
     "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\"
   folder.

   If you don't want to patch wxWidgets you can still build Audacity
   without applying these patches.  You will need to comment out the line:
     wxMSWDisableSettingHighDPIAware()
   in AudacityApp.cpp, and your compiled version won't support accessibility
   features.

=====================

Hope this helps,

Mark

On 6 June 2017 at 00:20, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?

To build on Windows 10 64-bit:

1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
what is the exact file name?

2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?

3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Stevethefiddle
Thanks Mark. Comments in line below.

On 6 June 2017 at 09:10, Mark Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I can help you with this.
>
> VS Express is now VS Community 2013 -
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2013-community-vs.
> Unsure of the exact file name but that is the link to the documentation.

For documentation purposes:
The Community edition is not the same as the Express edition.

From searching Google:
"Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows" was for Windows 8.1 only and
is discontinued and no longer available.
"Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop" is no longer available.

So it appears that the Community edition is now the only option.
Registration (free) is required.

> wxWidgets
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxwindows/files/3.0.2/wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z/download
> wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z

Thanks, that appears to have the same contents as what I downloaded.

> The Audacity repo contains a file - win/compile.txt - which details the
> patching.  An excerpt below...
>
> 3.2. We have patched wxWidgets with four patches.  You should apply all
>    four.  You can do this in one step by copying the folder
>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
>    over your:
>      "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"

So does that mean:

Move each of the files in
"audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\" to the
corresponding location in "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\", overwriting the
original wxWidgets files.

That's what I did, but that gave me build errors in step 3.3.
I'm not on Windows right now, but if my steps are correct then I'll
repeat and report the errors.

>    This applies the four patches.
>       1: accessibility.diff Enables accessibility features.
>             Less diagnostics in release builds.
>       2: changeset_14f05... Allows disabling HiDPI 'awareness'.
>       3: changeset_0797a... Fix bug in accessibility.
>       4: fix_rename.diff Workaround for failures in the wxWidgets
>       wxRenameFile function.
>    The 'less diagnostics' in patch 1 gives the same level of diagnostics as
>    we had with wxWidgets 2.8.12.  We found that some diagnostics in release
>    builds that came in with wx 3.0.2 were causing us more problems than they
>    were solving.
>    HiDPI awareness is for high definition monitors, but does not work
>    well for Audacity yet.
>
>    The details of the patches are in the .diff files in the
>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\"
>    folder.
>
>    If you don't want to patch wxWidgets you can still build Audacity
>    without applying these patches.  You will need to comment out the line:
>      wxMSWDisableSettingHighDPIAware()
>    in AudacityApp.cpp, and your compiled version won't support accessibility
>    features.

I also tried that without success. Very frustrating.

I think it would be much better for us to provide ONE set of clear and
accurate instructions in compile.txt. Anyone care to volunteer to help
me do that?

Steve

> =====================
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mark
>

> On 6 June 2017 at 00:20, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>>
>> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>>
>> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
>> what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?
>>
>> Steve

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Robert Hänggi
On 06/06/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mark. Comments in line below.
>
> On 6 June 2017 at 09:10, Mark Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I can help you with this.
>>
>> VS Express is now VS Community 2013 -
>> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2013-community-vs.
>> Unsure of the exact file name but that is the link to the documentation.
>
> For documentation purposes:
> The Community edition is not the same as the Express edition.
>
> From searching Google:
> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows" was for Windows 8.1 only and
> is discontinued and no longer available.
> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop" is no longer available.
>
> So it appears that the Community edition is now the only option.
> Registration (free) is required.

The version I downloaded one month ago is:
wdexpress_full.exe  03/ 05/ 2017   07:26 Application 1.157 KB

It still works (downloading packages etc) at the moment of writing.

>> wxWidgets
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxwindows/files/3.0.2/wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z/download
>> wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z
>
> Thanks, that appears to have the same contents as what I downloaded.
>

>> The Audacity repo contains a file - win/compile.txt - which details the
>> patching.  An excerpt below...
>>
>> 3.2. We have patched wxWidgets with four patches.  You should apply all
>>    four.  You can do this in one step by copying the folder
>>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
>>    over your:
>>      "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
>
> So does that mean:
>
> Move each of the files in
> "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\" to the
> corresponding location in "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\", overwriting the
> original wxWidgets files.

That confused me too.
Essentially, you have to copy the folder to the root C:\ where it then
can merge with "..\wxWidgets-3.0.2\",
The content of existing folders should be preserved and duplicate
files replaced. I've got a vague feeling that Windows 10 does not
explicitly say so (in contrast to e.g. Windows 7).

Robert

> That's what I did, but that gave me build errors in step 3.3.
> I'm not on Windows right now, but if my steps are correct then I'll
> repeat and report the errors.
>

>>    This applies the four patches.
>>       1: accessibility.diff Enables accessibility features.
>>             Less diagnostics in release builds.
>>       2: changeset_14f05... Allows disabling HiDPI 'awareness'.
>>       3: changeset_0797a... Fix bug in accessibility.
>>       4: fix_rename.diff Workaround for failures in the wxWidgets
>>       wxRenameFile function.
>>    The 'less diagnostics' in patch 1 gives the same level of diagnostics
>> as
>>    we had with wxWidgets 2.8.12.  We found that some diagnostics in
>> release
>>    builds that came in with wx 3.0.2 were causing us more problems than
>> they
>>    were solving.
>>    HiDPI awareness is for high definition monitors, but does not work
>>    well for Audacity yet.
>>
>>    The details of the patches are in the .diff files in the
>>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\"
>>    folder.
>>
>>    If you don't want to patch wxWidgets you can still build Audacity
>>    without applying these patches.  You will need to comment out the
>> line:
>>      wxMSWDisableSettingHighDPIAware()
>>    in AudacityApp.cpp, and your compiled version won't support
>> accessibility
>>    features.
>
> I also tried that without success. Very frustrating.
>
> I think it would be much better for us to provide ONE set of clear and
> accurate instructions in compile.txt. Anyone care to volunteer to help
> me do that?
>
> Steve
>

>> =====================
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On 6 June 2017 at 00:20, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>>>
>>> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>>>
>>> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
>>> what is the exact file name?
>>>
>>> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>>>
>>> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?
>>>
>>> Steve

Fwd: Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Resending, as for some reason it did not get through to the list.

James crook wrote 6/6/2017 8:49 AM:

I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning

The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
'old' cruft in them.
2 and 3 are answered by
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows

> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork
> of the wxWidgets project:
> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>
> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).

All the build instructions need quite a bit of work.  The Mac
instructions are probably in the best state currently.

--James.

On 6/6/2017 12:20 AM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>
> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>
> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
> what is the exact file name?
>
> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>
> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?

Re: Fwd: Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Stevethefiddle
Thanks James.

On 6 June 2017 at 11:34, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending, as for some reason it did not get through to the list.
>

> James crook wrote 6/6/2017 8:49 AM:
>
> I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning
>
> The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
> 'old' cruft in them.
> 2 and 3 are answered by
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows
>
>> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork of
>> the wxWidgets project:
>> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>>
>> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).
>

> All the build instructions need quite a bit of work.  The Mac
> instructions are probably in the best state currently.

I wrote out instructions for building Audacity 2.1.2 on Ubuntu 15.10,
which should only require minor tweaking to bring up to date for
2.2.0: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=292433#p292433

The instructions for Linux in the README.txt look pretty good to me,
though I think perhaps better to have those instructions in a separate
file. With over 2300 lines, the instructions are easy to miss if you
only skim read it. Realistically, with that file being so long, I'd
bet hardly anyone reads the entire thing.

On 06/06/2017, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending, as for some reason it did not get through to the list.
>

> James crook wrote 6/6/2017 8:49 AM:
>
> I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning
>
> The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
> 'old' cruft in them.
> 2 and 3 are answered by
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows
>
>> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork
>> of the wxWidgets project:
>> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>>
>> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).

I've not checked with cloning but with downloading, the top-level
folder within the zip archive has the wrong name.
It would be more convenient if it were the original WXWidgets name.
In this fashion, the folder could just be copied or extracted to C:\
without renaming and thus match the later environment variable
procedure.

Robert

On 6 June 2017 at 11:34, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/06/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Mark. Comments in line below.
>>
>> On 6 June 2017 at 09:10, Mark Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> I can help you with this.
>>>
>>> VS Express is now VS Community 2013 -
>>> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2013-community-vs.
>>> Unsure of the exact file name but that is the link to the documentation.
>>
>> For documentation purposes:
>> The Community edition is not the same as the Express edition.
>>
>> From searching Google:
>> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows" was for Windows 8.1 only and
>> is discontinued and no longer available.
>> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop" is no longer available.
>>
>> So it appears that the Community edition is now the only option.
>> Registration (free) is required.
>>
> The version I downloaded one month ago is:
> wdexpress_full.exe  03/ 05/ 2017   07:26 Application 1.157 KB
>
> It still works (downloading packages etc) at the moment of writing.
>

>>> wxWidgets
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxwindows/files/3.0.2/wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z/download
>>> wxWidgets-3.0.2.7z
>>
>> Thanks, that appears to have the same contents as what I downloaded.
>>

>>> The Audacity repo contains a file - win/compile.txt - which details the
>>> patching.  An excerpt below...
>>>
>>> 3.2. We have patched wxWidgets with four patches.  You should apply all
>>>    four.  You can do this in one step by copying the folder
>>>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
>>>    over your:
>>>      "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\"
>>
>> So does that mean:
>>
>> Move each of the files in
>> "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\" to the
>> corresponding location in "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\", overwriting the
>> original wxWidgets files.
>>

> That confused me too.
> Essentially, you have to copy the folder to the root C:\ where it then
> can merge with "..\wxWidgets-3.0.2\",
> The content of existing folders should be preserved and duplicate
> files replaced. I've got a vague feeling that Windows 10 does not
> explicitly say so (in contrast to e.g. Windows 7).

Thanks Robert, I see what you mean.

The new instructions from James bypass that altogether, and resolve
the problem of finding the correct version of wxWidgets, by providing
a link to the full, patched, Audacity version of wxWidgets.

Steve

> Robert
>

>> That's what I did, but that gave me build errors in step 3.3.
>> I'm not on Windows right now, but if my steps are correct then I'll
>> repeat and report the errors.
>>

>>>    This applies the four patches.
>>>       1: accessibility.diff Enables accessibility features.
>>>             Less diagnostics in release builds.
>>>       2: changeset_14f05... Allows disabling HiDPI 'awareness'.
>>>       3: changeset_0797a... Fix bug in accessibility.
>>>       4: fix_rename.diff Workaround for failures in the wxWidgets
>>>       wxRenameFile function.
>>>    The 'less diagnostics' in patch 1 gives the same level of diagnostics
>>> as
>>>    we had with wxWidgets 2.8.12.  We found that some diagnostics in
>>> release
>>>    builds that came in with wx 3.0.2 were causing us more problems than
>>> they
>>>    were solving.
>>>    HiDPI awareness is for high definition monitors, but does not work
>>>    well for Audacity yet.
>>>
>>>    The details of the patches are in the .diff files in the
>>>      "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\"
>>>    folder.
>>>
>>>    If you don't want to patch wxWidgets you can still build Audacity
>>>    without applying these patches.  You will need to comment out the
>>> line:
>>>      wxMSWDisableSettingHighDPIAware()
>>>    in AudacityApp.cpp, and your compiled version won't support
>>> accessibility
>>>    features.
>>
>> I also tried that without success. Very frustrating.
>>
>> I think it would be much better for us to provide ONE set of clear and
>> accurate instructions in compile.txt. Anyone care to volunteer to help
>> me do that?
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> =====================
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: Fwd: Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Thanks again James.
Your new instructions are much easier to follow.

I made notes while following the instructions, and there's a few
refinements that I'd like to suggest - should I email them to you, or
add comments to the Talk page?

Steve

On 6 June 2017 at 11:34, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Resending, as for some reason it did not get through to the list.
>

> James crook wrote 6/6/2017 8:49 AM:
>
> I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning
>
> The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
> 'old' cruft in them.
> 2 and 3 are answered by
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows
>
>> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork of
>> the wxWidgets project:
>> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>>
>> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).
>

> All the build instructions need quite a bit of work.  The Mac
> instructions are probably in the best state currently.
>
> --James.
>

> On 6/6/2017 12:20 AM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:
>>
>> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>>
>> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>>
>> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
>> what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?
>>
>> Steve

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

Would it not be a reasonable assumption that someone who
wants to build Audacity has at least a little initiative to click
"Other downloads" on the Widgets site?

I've now restored a direct link to wx3.0.2 on
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows .

Win/compile.txt should cover all other details. By long tradiion
we are not allowed to put direct links to VS and Widgets in
win\compile.txt because it is claimed that it would annoy
developers.

That's why the yellow box at the top of "Developing on Windows"
still exists.

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 17:57, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it not be a reasonable assumption that someone who
> wants to build Audacity has at least a little initiative to click
> "Other downloads" on the Widgets site?

Would it not be more reasonable for us to tell them which file they need?

Steve

> I've now restored a direct link to wx3.0.2 on
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows .
>
> Win/compile.txt should cover all other details. By long tradiion
> we are not allowed to put direct links to VS and Widgets in
> win\compile.txt because it is claimed that it would annoy
> developers.
>
> That's why the yellow box at the top of "Developing on Windows"
> still exists.
>

> Gale
>

> On 6 June 2017 at 00:20, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>>
>> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>>
>> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
>> what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>>
>> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?
>>
>> Steve

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

We have to make our minds up. The old tradition said that
developers know how to update folders and don't need to
be told how.

Are we serving developers or advanced users here? I think
we should set compiling docs pitched at both, but I have been
consistently overruled on that.

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 17:25, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 June 2017 at 11:34, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 06/06/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Mark. Comments in line below.

>>> For documentation purposes:
>>> The Community edition is not the same as the Express edition.
>>>
>>> From searching Google:
>>> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows" was for Windows 8.1 only and
>>> is discontinued and no longer available.
>>> "Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop" is no longer available.
>>>
>>> So it appears that the Community edition is now the only option.
>>> Registration (free) is required.
>>>
>> The version I downloaded one month ago is:
>> wdexpress_full.exe  03/ 05/ 2017   07:26 Application 1.157 KB
>>
>> It still works (downloading packages etc) at the moment of writing.

>>> Thanks, that appears to have the same contents as what I downloaded.

>>> So does that mean:
>>>
>>> Move each of the files in
>>> "audacity\win\wxWidgets_additions\wxWidgets-3.0.2\" to the
>>> corresponding location in "C:\wxWidgets-3.0.2\", overwriting the
>>> original wxWidgets files.
>>>

>> That confused me too.
>> Essentially, you have to copy the folder to the root C:\ where it then
>> can merge with "..\wxWidgets-3.0.2\",
>> The content of existing folders should be preserved and duplicate
>> files replaced. I've got a vague feeling that Windows 10 does not
>> explicitly say so (in contrast to e.g. Windows 7).
>
> Thanks Robert, I see what you mean.
>
> The new instructions from James bypass that altogether, and resolve
> the problem of finding the correct version of wxWidgets, by providing
> a link to the full, patched, Audacity version of wxWidgets.
>
> Steve
>

>> Robert
>>

>>> That's what I did, but that gave me build errors in step 3.3.
>>> I'm not on Windows right now, but if my steps are correct then I'll
>>> repeat and report the errors.

>>> I also tried that without success. Very frustrating.
>>>
>>> I think it would be much better for us to provide ONE set of clear and
>>> accurate instructions in compile.txt. Anyone care to volunteer to help
>>> me do that?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

On 6 June 2017 at 17:57, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Would it not be a reasonable assumption that someone who
> wants to build Audacity has at least a little initiative to click
> "Other downloads" on the Widgets site?
>
> I've now restored a direct link to wx3.0.2 on
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows .

And now even better, it links direct to our patched Widgets.

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 12:06, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks James.
>
> On 6 June 2017 at 11:34, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Resending, as for some reason it did not get through to the list.
>>

>> James crook wrote 6/6/2017 8:49 AM:
>>
>> I wrote some notes on improving our build instructions,
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User:James/Spring_Cleaning
>>
>> The windows instructions aren't in a good state, with quite a bit of
>> 'old' cruft in them.
>> 2 and 3 are answered by
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Developing_On_Windows
>>
>>> Download Audacity's patched wxWidgets 3.0.2 zip from the Audacity fork of
>>> the wxWidgets project:
>>> https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/tree/audacity-fixes
>>>
>>> (use the green "clone or download" button on the right).
>>

>> All the build instructions need quite a bit of work.  The Mac
>> instructions are probably in the best state currently.
>
> I wrote out instructions for building Audacity 2.1.2 on Ubuntu 15.10,
> which should only require minor tweaking to bring up to date for
> 2.2.0: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=292433#p292433
>
> The instructions for Linux in the README.txt look pretty good to me,
> though I think perhaps better to have those instructions in a separate
> file. With over 2300 lines, the instructions are easy to miss if you
> only skim read it. Realistically, with that file being so long, I'd
> bet hardly anyone reads the entire thing.
>
> Steve

I am still aiming for 2.2.0, as Team agreed, to split all the old
history out of README.txt into a CHANGELOG file.

I think all "Compilation Instructions" in README should contain
is links to three platform-specific instructions files, and those
links (or just the names of the files) should be moved to the top of
README.txt.

I assume a new instructions file for Linux should go in root of the
tree which is most nix-like. If so, what should it be called?

On 6 June 2017 at 18:15, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have to make our minds up. The old tradition said that
> developers know how to update folders and don't need to
> be told how.

That's no excuse to not give clear and accurate instructions.
Even a master chef would expect clear and precise instructions from a recipe.

If the instructions are not clear and precise, and the build fails,
then fault finding is much more difficult because there is uncertainty
at all stages. Personally I found it extremely frustrating to waste
three hours attempting to follow vague hints, repeated build failure,
and no idea what I was doing wrong. That is NOT a good way to attract
new developers.

On the other hand, 15 minutes with the new instructions from James and
I had a successful buid.

Steve

> Are we serving developers or advanced users here? I think
> we should set compiling docs pitched at both, but I have been
> consistently overruled on that.
>

> Gale
>

> On 6 June 2017 at 17:25, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The version I downloaded one month ago is:
>>> wdexpress_full.exe  03/ 05/ 2017   07:26 Application 1.157 KB
>>>
>>> It still works (downloading packages etc) at the moment of writing.

>>> That confused me too.
>>> Essentially, you have to copy the folder to the root C:\ where it then
>>> can merge with "..\wxWidgets-3.0.2\",
>>> The content of existing folders should be preserved and duplicate
>>> files replaced. I've got a vague feeling that Windows 10 does not
>>> explicitly say so (in contrast to e.g. Windows 7).
>>
>> Thanks Robert, I see what you mean.
>>
>> The new instructions from James bypass that altogether, and resolve
>> the problem of finding the correct version of wxWidgets, by providing
>> a link to the full, patched, Audacity version of wxWidgets.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> Robert

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

The Wiki link was correct until Widgets updated their latest stable
version. I can't update the page until I know that links have become
obsolete.

James now chooses to give a direct link to Widgets, but not, AFAICT,
to VS.

If a link was provided to VS, which I think we should do given our
chosen VS is obsolete, then perhaps I can consider just deleting
"Developing on Windows", or just making it a landing page for
the spinoff compilation pages James wants.

I think that is not a good idea for material that is current. Users building
Audacity with ASIO do not want to be shunted between different pages.
It is hard enough for them already.

Compiling under Cygwin is not currently supported. That can be a historical
page on Wiki.

If we do cross-compiling for Windows and Mac on Linux. that can be a new
Wiki page.

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 18:10, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 June 2017 at 17:57, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would it not be a reasonable assumption that someone who
>> wants to build Audacity has at least a little initiative to click
>> "Other downloads" on the Widgets site?
>
> Would it not be more reasonable for us to tell them which file they need?
>
> Steve
>

>> I've now restored a direct link to wx3.0.2 on
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows .
>>
>> Win/compile.txt should cover all other details. By long tradiion
>> we are not allowed to put direct links to VS and Widgets in
>> win\compile.txt because it is claimed that it would annoy
>> developers.
>>
>> That's why the yellow box at the top of "Developing on Windows"
>> still exists.
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 6 June 2017 at 00:20, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Are there proper instructions for building Audacity on Windows?
>>>
>>> To build on Windows 10 64-bit:
>>>
>>> 1) Where do I get Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++ Express edition and
>>> what is the exact file name?
>>>
>>> 2) Where do I get WxWidgets 3.0.2 and what is the exact file name?
>>>
>>> 3) What exactly do I need to copy / overwrite to patch WxWidgets?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Instructions for building on Windows

I am NOT personally responsible for the content of win\compile.txt.

It is only recently that we have had a patched Widgets available.

Some others, even mere users, have found compile.txt easy to
follow. I have no idea, unless you say, what you were doing wrong.
Was it confusion about how to merge folders?

I have acted on your complaints about the Wiki page that I do control.
Is there anything else you want me to do on that page?

Can you please advise what you think about the name and location
of a file for potted Linux compile instructions.

Gale