Quantcast

Keeping this mailing list open

Stevethefiddle
I notice that there have been no posts to this mailing list for 3
months and only 5 posts in the last year.
Is it worth keeping this mailing list open?
Is anyone other than myself reading it?

If it is unused then I propose that it should be closed and
discussions regarding Audacity-Nyquist directed to the Audacity forum.
Does anyone want to keep it open?

rbd

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

rbd
I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger

On 9/19/12 9:52 AM, Faisal ... wrote:

I may not post, but I do read it some times.

On Sep 19, 2012 2:49 PM, "Steve the Fiddle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I notice that there have been no posts to this mailing list for 3
months and only 5 posts in the last year.
Is it worth keeping this mailing list open?
Is anyone other than myself reading it?

If it is unused then I propose that it should be closed and
discussions regarding Audacity-Nyquist directed to the Audacity forum.
Does anyone want to keep it open?

Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

Gale (Audacity Team)
Administrator

| From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
| Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:57:01 -0400
| Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
> I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there
> might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger

The problem with the current arrangement is that most discussions
about Nyquist - and all new plug-ins - are on the Forum.

I'm not sure if the drift to the Forum happened by accident or
design - though I think Steve feels it's easier to post code and
images on the Forum.

Are you - or others on this list - following the Forum:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=39  ?

Otherwise you're probably missing a lot of interest and a
lot that you should be considering for future work on Nyquist.

I think there is a case for all discussions about Nyquist being in
one place (wherever that is).

If we closed the -nyquist list the archives would be kept for
reference.

The Forum lets you be notified by e-mail if there are new posts
to a Forum (or a particular board within it).

There is administrative overhead in maintaining a mailing list and
moderating its unsubscribed spam messages. Spam postings
to -nyquist outnumber real postings by several hundred to one.

Gale

> On 9/19/12 9:52 AM, Faisal ... wrote:
> >
> > I may not post, but I do read it some times.
> >
> > On Sep 19, 2012 2:49 PM, "Steve the Fiddle" <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     I notice that there have been no posts to this mailing list for 3
> >     months and only 5 posts in the last year.
> >     Is it worth keeping this mailing list open?
> >     Is anyone other than myself reading it?
> >
> >     If it is unused then I propose that it should be closed and
> >     discussions regarding Audacity-Nyquist directed to the Audacity forum.
> >     Does anyone want to keep it open?
> >
> >     Steve

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

James Crook
I'm making an executive decision here.

We will disable the list unless Roger wants to take over running it and
cleaning out the spam.
IF Nyquist hots up again we can re-open it.
ELSE Nyquist discussions can happen on audacity-devel.

Roger, let us know if you want to run the list.  Otherwise it will shut
down in about a week.
I don't think running it is that onerous, but it does take some time.

--James.

On 19/09/2012 19:11, Gale Andrews wrote:

> | From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
> | Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:57:01 -0400
> | Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
>> I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there
>> might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger
> The problem with the current arrangement is that most discussions
> about Nyquist - and all new plug-ins - are on the Forum.
>
> I'm not sure if the drift to the Forum happened by accident or
> design - though I think Steve feels it's easier to post code and
> images on the Forum.
>
> Are you - or others on this list - following the Forum:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=39  ?
>
> Otherwise you're probably missing a lot of interest and a
> lot that you should be considering for future work on Nyquist.
>
> I think there is a case for all discussions about Nyquist being in
> one place (wherever that is).
>
> If we closed the -nyquist list the archives would be kept for
> reference.
>
> The Forum lets you be notified by e-mail if there are new posts
> to a Forum (or a particular board within it).
>
> There is administrative overhead in maintaining a mailing list and
> moderating its unsubscribed spam messages. Spam postings
> to -nyquist outnumber real postings by several hundred to one.
>

> Gale
>

>> On 9/19/12 9:52 AM, Faisal ... wrote:
>>> I may not post, but I do read it some times.
>>>
>>> On Sep 19, 2012 2:49 PM, "Steve the Fiddle" <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      I notice that there have been no posts to this mailing list for 3
>>>      months and only 5 posts in the last year.
>>>      Is it worth keeping this mailing list open?
>>>      Is anyone other than myself reading it?
>>>
>>>      If it is unused then I propose that it should be closed and
>>>      discussions regarding Audacity-Nyquist directed to the Audacity forum.
>>>      Does anyone want to keep it open?
>>>
>>>      Steve

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

> I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there
> might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger

I shall look forward to that - it's one of the main reasons that I'm subscribed to the RSS feed :)

Gale wrote:
> though I think Steve feels it's easier to post code and
> images on the Forum.

The forum is certainly more convenient for images, and code snippets are displayed without the formatting getting messed up.

I'm aware that there are pros and cons for both forums and mailing lists and I'm not going to be drawn into a discussion of one vs the other, but it is possibly not worth the overhead of maintaining the mailing list if it is not used.

Gale wrote:
> Are you - or others on this list - following the Forum:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=39  ?
>
> Otherwise you're probably missing a lot of interest and a
> lot that you should be considering for future work on Nyquist.

If there is a demand for it, we could enable an RSS feed (actually an "Atom" feed) from the Nyquist forum. Most good e-mail clients support RSS / Atom feeds, which may suit those that are used to receiving recent posts via e-mail.

Gale wrote:
> If we closed the -nyquist list the archives would be kept for
> reference.

Most definitely. There's a lot of good information here.

Personally I'm quite happy for this mailing list to stay open (I don't maintain it) but I was not sure if it was worth posting anything here as it appeared to be dead (or close to death). From a quick scan of recent posts, there appear to have been only about half a dozen people posting here in the last couple of years.

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

Gale (Audacity Team)

| From James Crook <[hidden email]>
| Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:00:19 +0100
| Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open

> I'm making an executive decision here.
>
> We will disable the list unless Roger wants to take over running it and
> cleaning out the spam.
> IF Nyquist hots up again we can re-open it.
> ELSE Nyquist discussions can happen on audacity-devel.
>
> Roger, let us know if you want to run the list.  Otherwise it will shut
> down in about a week.
> I don't think running it is that onerous, but it does take some time.

True on both counts. I've no problem with running the list if
the list is actually used.

My much greater concern is that Nyquist discussions have
become isolated in the Forum (and I strongly suspect few
users of this list were aware of that).

I can see the sense that if significant improvements are
made to Audacity-Nyquist (see the "Wish List":
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=38252 )

then developer-level discussions could take place on -devel
while all user-level discussions take place on the Forum.

That's only OK if all potential Nyquist developers are reading
the mailing list we decide on, which is probably not true at the
moment.

Gale

rbd

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

rbd
Hi Gale,
     Thanks for the link. I was not following the forum, and I think I
was not subscribed by email (when I clicked the subscribe link, which
was checked and made me think I was subscribed, the link changed to
"unsubscribe" which makes me think NOW I'm subscribed. We'll see what
happens).
     Given the forum, I think it's bad to have posts in two places and I
see no reason to keep audacity-nyquist alive.
     Thanks,
     Roger

On 9/19/12 2:11 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:

> | From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
> | Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:57:01 -0400
> | Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
>> I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there
>> might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger
> The problem with the current arrangement is that most discussions
> about Nyquist - and all new plug-ins - are on the Forum.
>
> I'm not sure if the drift to the Forum happened by accident or
> design - though I think Steve feels it's easier to post code and
> images on the Forum.
>
> Are you - or others on this list - following the Forum:
> http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=39  ?
>
> Otherwise you're probably missing a lot of interest and a
> lot that you should be considering for future work on Nyquist.
>
> I think there is a case for all discussions about Nyquist being in
> one place (wherever that is).
>
> If we closed the -nyquist list the archives would be kept for
> reference.
>
> The Forum lets you be notified by e-mail if there are new posts
> to a Forum (or a particular board within it).
>
> There is administrative overhead in maintaining a mailing list and
> moderating its unsubscribed spam messages. Spam postings
> to -nyquist outnumber real postings by several hundred to one.
>

> Gale
>

>> On 9/19/12 9:52 AM, Faisal ... wrote:
>>> I may not post, but I do read it some times.
>>>
>>> On Sep 19, 2012 2:49 PM, "Steve the Fiddle" <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      I notice that there have been no posts to this mailing list for 3
>>>      months and only 5 posts in the last year.
>>>      Is it worth keeping this mailing list open?
>>>      Is anyone other than myself reading it?
>>>
>>>      If it is unused then I propose that it should be closed and
>>>      discussions regarding Audacity-Nyquist directed to the Audacity forum.
>>>      Does anyone want to keep it open?
>>>
>>>      Steve

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

jsp67
beat it

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

Gale (Audacity Team)

| From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
| Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:47:53 -0400
| Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
>      Thanks for the link. I was not following the forum, and I think I
> was not subscribed by email (when I clicked the subscribe link, which
> was checked and made me think I was subscribed, the link changed to
> "unsubscribe" which makes me think NOW I'm subscribed.

Yes, you are now subscribed.

I agree the image for the link to subscribe looks too much like
a status indicator that you actually are subscribed. I'll see
if I can change it.

> Given the forum, I think it's bad to have posts in two places and I
> see no reason to keep audacity-nyquist alive.

OK. We'll have to see what happens if there are major changes
to audacity-nyquist that need discussing. I know some developers
prefer e-mail communication to the Forum (and no I don't want
to ignite that debate now either).  :=)

Gale

> On 9/19/12 2:11 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> > | From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
> > | Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:57:01 -0400
> > | Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
> >> I'm on audacity-nyquist! I think it would be good to keep it -- there
> >> might be more work on Nyquist in the future. -Roger
> > The problem with the current arrangement is that most discussions
> > about Nyquist - and all new plug-ins - are on the Forum.
> >
> > I'm not sure if the drift to the Forum happened by accident or
> > design - though I think Steve feels it's easier to post code and
> > images on the Forum.
> >
> > Are you - or others on this list - following the Forum:
> > http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=39  ?
> >
> > Otherwise you're probably missing a lot of interest and a
> > lot that you should be considering for future work on Nyquist.
> >
> > I think there is a case for all discussions about Nyquist being in
> > one place (wherever that is).
> >
> > If we closed the -nyquist list the archives would be kept for
> > reference.
> >
> > The Forum lets you be notified by e-mail if there are new posts
> > to a Forum (or a particular board within it).
> >
> > There is administrative overhead in maintaining a mailing list and
> > moderating its unsubscribed spam messages. Spam postings
> > to -nyquist outnumber real postings by several hundred to one.
> >

> > Gale

Re: Keeping this mailing list open

Gale (Audacity Team)
Administrator
>"Gale (Audacity Team)" wrote
>> From Roger Dannenberg <[hidden email]>
>> Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:47:53 -0400
>> Subject: [Audacity-nyquist] Keeping this mailing list open
>>      Thanks for the link. I was not following the forum, and I think I
>> was not subscribed by email (when I clicked the subscribe link, which
>> was checked and made me think I was subscribed, the link changed to
>> "unsubscribe" which makes me think NOW I'm subscribed.
>
> Yes, you are now subscribed.
>
> I agree the image for the link to subscribe looks too much like
> a status indicator that you actually are subscribed. I'll see
> if I can change it.
I changed the indicator several months ago.

> > Given the forum, I think it's bad to have posts in two places and I
> > see no reason to keep audacity-nyquist alive.
> OK. We'll have to see what happens if there are major changes
> to audacity-nyquist that need discussing. I know some developers
> prefer e-mail communication to the Forum (and no I don't want
> to ignite that debate now either).  :=)
No more posts for six months.

I suggest closing this list unless someone strongly objects. We can
point to the Nabble archive from the Forum. There are splendid
Nyquist discussions on the Forum, and all the new plug-ins are
there.