Label editing strangeness

Bill Wharrie
With 2.2.0 commit 00f6ee, Mac 10.11.4

I tested this by launching with no CFG.

1) Generate tone
2) Do Anaylyze > Regular Interval Labels
 - 10 labels
Note:
- audio track has focus
- all labels appear to be selected (have white background) but they're not
But this is not the new bug!

3) Click anywhere in the audio track to cancel the highlighting of the labels
4) Click in, for example, label #6
 - label #6 and all the labels to the right appear to be selected (have white background) but only label #6 has the editing cursor
 - whatever label you click in, it and all the labels to the right will get a white background

The result of step 4 is a regression on 2.1.3
In 2.1.3:
- after #2, the first label appears to be selected (has white background and editing cursor is at the end of the label)
- but it isn't selected - the audio track has focus and pressing delete removes the audio
- after #4, only label #6 is selected

— Bill

Re: Label editing strangeness

Cliff Scott
Built it just now and the labels now show #1 selected with the cursor in the label. I believe that is correct.

Before I got the settings dialog for the Regular Interval Labels it gave a Message with the following content:

"Could not load settings below.
Default settings will be used.
adjust ="No Interval"="60.000000000"
Label Text="Label" Mod="Number of Labels" zeros="2 (before label)

Looks like an initialization problem to me.

Cliff

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Built it just now and the labels now show #1 selected with the cursor in the label. I believe that is correct.

Before I got the settings dialog for the Regular Interval Labels it gave a Message with the following content:

"Could not load settings below.
adjust ="No Interval"="60.000000000"
Label Text="Label" Mod="Number of Labels" zeros="2 (before label)

Looks like an initialization problem to me.

That is quite a different thing, no to dismiss it.  That's not good, and I ask you, Cliff, to see if there a procedure to reproduce that, which may involve cleaning your pluginsettings.cfg and restarting the program.

But the problem Bill reported was that when you pick a text box, all others to its right also highlight.  But now no longer.

PRL

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

Can't test yet on Windows (no nightly) - but on earlier nightlies I observe the bug
that Bill reported.

On Jul 28, 2017, at 11:00 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Built it just now and the labels now show #1 selected with the cursor in the label. I believe that is correct.

Before I got the settings dialog for the Regular Interval Labels it gave a Message with the following content:

"Could not load settings below.
adjust ="No Interval"="60.000000000"
Label Text="Label" Mod="Number of Labels" zeros="2 (before label)

Looks like an initialization problem to me.

That is quite a different thing, no to dismiss it.  That's not good, and I ask you, Cliff, to see if there a procedure to reproduce that, which may involve cleaning your pluginsettings.cfg and restarting the program.

It happens the first time the Nyquist plugin for generating the regular interval labels in invoked after opening Audacity. Once Audacity is open and the plugin used once it has no problem after that.

1. Quit Audacity
2. Open Audacity
3 Generate a tone
4. Analyze>Regular Interval Labels>
5. Warning Message Pops up.
6. Dismiss message
7. Default dialog opens. Accept defaults
8. Labels generated normally.
9. Open new Audacity window.
10. Perform steps 3  and 4 and notice that the warning message does not appear, but the default dialog appears.

But the problem Bill reported was that when you pick a text box, all others to its right also highlight.  But now no longer.

Which I can confirm is fixed now.

On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build did you use to test it?

Cliff

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build did you use to test it?

4a28645 29Jul17 as it (almost) says above - downloaded from:
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-Mac-Nightlies.html

Just tested again - still fine, both imediately after the Analyze>Regular Interval Labels
where only "01Label1" is selected and highlighted - and then selectin any label only
selects that label, not those to the right of it.

Peter

On Jul 29, 2017, at 7:23 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build did you use to test it?

4a28645 29Jul17 as it (almost) says above - downloaded from:
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-Mac-Nightlies.html

Just tested again - still fine, both imediately after the Analyze>Regular Interval Labels
where only "01Label1" is selected and highlighted - and then selectin any label only
selects that label, not those to the right of it.

Ok. I didn't know that there nightlies were being done now on fosshub.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2017, at 7:23 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build did you use to test it?

4a28645 29Jul17 as it (almost) says above - downloaded from:
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-Mac-Nightlies.html

Just tested again - still fine, both imediately after the Analyze>Regular Interval Labels
where only "01Label1" is selected and highlighted - and then selectin any label only
selects that label, not those to the right of it.

Ok. I didn't know that there nightlies were being done now on fosshub.

Steve has been working on that - and I have been tesrting for him.

I only just published the link a couple of hours ago.

[...]

Stevethefiddle
On 29 July 2017 at 14:34, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 7:23 AM, Peter Sampson
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17
>>>

>>> I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build
>>> did you use to test it?
>>

>> 4a28645 29Jul17 as it (almost) says above - downloaded from:
>> https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-Mac-Nightlies.html
>>
>> Which includes James' commit:
>>
>> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/4a28645869fd5d1031b510a9f46bb4c540d3203c
>>
>> Just tested again - still fine, both imediately after the Analyze>Regular
>> Interval Labels
>> where only "01Label1" is selected and highlighted - and then selectin any
>> label only
>> selects that label, not those to the right of it.
>>

>> Ok. I didn't know that there nightlies were being done now on fosshub.

As Peter wrote, I've been working on this.

Current status: It is 'almost' fully automated - I just need to
persuade the Mac that I really do want to run the build script
unattended without the Mac asking if I'm sure.

Steve

On 2017/07/29, at 8:23 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 29, 2017, at 6:12 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I confirm this is fixed on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 ra28645 29Jul17

I'm surprised that you find this fixed on the updated Sierra. What build did you use to test it?

4a28645 29Jul17 as it (almost) says above - downloaded from:
https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-Mac-Nightlies.html

Just tested again - still fine, both imediately after the Analyze>Regular Interval Labels
where only "01Label1" is selected and highlighted - and then selectin any label only
selects that label, not those to the right of it.

Yes, but the residual issue (carried from at least 2.1.3) is still there.
After Analyze > Regular Interval Labels it *appears*  that Label #1 is selected (it is white and has the editing cursor at the end) but the audio track has focus. Keystrokes go to the audio track, not the label. So pressing delete removes the audio instead of deleting characters from the end of the label. This may be a limitation of Nyquist.

[...]

Label background in High Contrast

Cliff Scott
During testing of the label highlighting issue I noticed in the High Contrast theme that the color difference between selected and non-selected labels is almost indiscernible, at least for my older eyes. Dark theme is slightly better, but little contrast there as well.

This is not a big issue, but if people really use the High Contrast theme much I'm sure QA will hear about it.

Cliff

Re: Label background in High Contrast

Bill Wharrie

> On 2017/07/29, at 11:09 AM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> During testing of the label highlighting issue I noticed in the High Contrast theme that the color difference between selected and non-selected labels is almost indiscernible, at least for my older eyes. Dark theme is slightly better, but little contrast there as well.

I can see the difference in Dark and High Contrast, and my eyes are pretty old as well. :-)

I agree the difference is subtle. For High Contrast I don’t think you’d want the non-selected background to be any darker or you’d lose the high contrast effect.

— Bill

> This is not a big issue, but if people really use the High Contrast theme much I'm sure QA will hear about it.
>
> Cliff

Re: Label background in High Contrast

Cliff Scott

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:20 AM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2017/07/29, at 11:09 AM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> During testing of the label highlighting issue I noticed in the High Contrast theme that the color difference between selected and non-selected labels is almost indiscernible, at least for my older eyes. Dark theme is slightly better, but little contrast there as well.
>
> I can see the difference in Dark and High Contrast, and my eyes are pretty old as well. :-)
>
> I agree the difference is subtle. For High Contrast I don’t think you’d want the non-selected background to be any darker or you’d lose the high contrast effect.

I can hardly tell the difference as it is. Checking with my wife, who has very good color vision, she also sees a lack of difference. When I asked her what the colors were she said they were all white. Asking for a more careful description she said to her the background on the selected is bright white and the unselected is a "subdued" white. Surely there is a color combination that would give a more noticeable contrast without losing the high contrast effect and still having the unselected labels readable. I realize that the color rendering on different OSs may make this harder to fix, but hopefully some improvement can be made.

Cliff

> — Bill
>

>> This is not a big issue, but if people really use the High Contrast theme much I'm sure QA will hear about it.
>>
>> Cliff

Re: Label background in High Contrast

James Crook
On 7/29/2017 6:06 PM, Cliff Scott wrote:

>> On Jul 29, 2017, at 10:20 AM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2017/07/29, at 11:09 AM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> During testing of the label highlighting issue I noticed in the High Contrast theme that the color difference between selected and non-selected labels is almost indiscernible, at least for my older eyes. Dark theme is slightly better, but little contrast there as well.
>> I can see the difference in Dark and High Contrast, and my eyes are pretty old as well. :-)
>>
>> I agree the difference is subtle. For High Contrast I don’t think you’d want the non-selected background to be any darker or you’d lose the high contrast effect.

I've just tried this out on Mac, Linux and Windows.
In all three I get a good and visible difference.
A selected label (one with the cursor in it) is white.
On High Contrast an unselected label is light green.
On Dark, an unselected label is light orange.

I think the most likely explanation is that you have brightness turned
up too high on your monitor.  IF you do that, then lighter shades will
'wash out'.

I can see a case for on high contrast switching from dark text on light
background to light text on dark background, when a label is selected.
For the high contrast theme I would like someone who needs the high
contrast to work on tweaking it, and ideally take ownership of the
theme.  When I 'improve' the theme, it is only informed guesswork as to
what will make state clearer.

--James.

> I can hardly tell the difference as it is. Checking with my wife, who has very good color vision, she also sees a lack of difference. When I asked her what the colors were she said they were all white. Asking for a more careful description she said to her the background on the selected is bright white and the unselected is a "subdued" white. Surely there is a color combination that would give a more noticeable contrast without losing the high contrast effect and still having the unselected labels readable. I realize that the color rendering on different OSs may make this harder to fix, but hopefully some improvement can be made.
>
> Cliff

Re: Label background in High Contrast

Cliff Scott

> On Jul 29, 2017, at 12:33 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I can see the difference in Dark and High Contrast, and my eyes are pretty old as well. :-)
>>>
>>> I agree the difference is subtle. For High Contrast I don’t think you’d want the non-selected background to be any darker or you’d lose the high contrast effect.
>>>

> I've just tried this out on Mac, Linux and Windows.
> In all three I get a good and visible difference.
> A selected label (one with the cursor in it) is white.
> On High Contrast an unselected label is light green.
> On Dark, an unselected label is light orange.
>
> I think the most likely explanation is that you have brightness turned up too high on your monitor.  IF you do that, then lighter shades will 'wash out'.
>
> I can see a case for on high contrast switching from dark text on light background to light text on dark background, when a label is selected.  For the high contrast theme I would like someone who needs the high contrast to work on tweaking it, and ideally take ownership of the theme.  When I 'improve' the theme, it is only informed guesswork as to what will make state clearer.
>
> --James.

Played with brightness and it doesn't make any noticeable difference here. I agree the light text on dark background would make it very obvious where the selection was and I would vote for that change.

I don't "need" the Hight Contrast theme, but I like it especially for the dark background as being more pleasant on the eyes. Wouldn't mind tweaking it, but someone would have to tutor me on how to change the colors and it would be good to have someone who really needed it to verify what ever "improvements" I came up with. In general I think it is very good as it is, just little things like the labels that I run across occasionally.

Cliff

On 7/29/2017 8:17 PM, Cliff Scott wrote:

>> I've just tried this out on Mac, Linux and Windows.
>> In all three I get a good and visible difference.
>> A selected label (one with the cursor in it) is white.
>> On High Contrast an unselected label is light green.
>> On Dark, an unselected label is light orange.
>>
>> I think the most likely explanation is that you have brightness turned up too high on your monitor.  IF you do that, then lighter shades will 'wash out'.
>>
>> I can see a case for on high contrast switching from dark text on light background to light text on dark background, when a label is selected.  For the high contrast theme I would like someone who needs the high contrast to work on tweaking it, and ideally take ownership of the theme.  When I 'improve' the theme, it is only informed guesswork as to what will make state clearer.
>>
>> --James.
>>
> Played with brightness and it doesn't make any noticeable difference here. I agree the light text on dark background would make it very obvious where the selection was and I would vote for that change.
Could you have a look at
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Themes

Do the Dark and High Contrast screenshots have labels that are visibly
different to white backgrounds?  One light orange, one light green, the
other two light blue?  That is how the unselected labels should and do
look for me.

If those are the same as what you get with Audacity, and they look
nearly white to you on that wiki page, then it's most likely something
about your monitor, a filter screen over it, you and your wife wearing
sunglasses, ambient light, or photons travel at a different speed in
your part of the world.

If they are very different to what you see, please send a screenshot of
Audacity with what you see, with one label selected, one not, so that I
can see the problem.

--James.

On Jul 29, 2017, at 5:14 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Wiki page is quite similar to the colors on Audacity. What puzzles me is that the point of the High Contrast theme is contrast, but the color difference between selected and unselected is very minor. The selected appears to be white and contrast that with a light green. Not a big contrast is my book. Your idea of the selected label being light text on dark background would give a strong contrast and accomplish the purpose rather than the present colors. I'll attach a screen shot so you can see what I see.

Cliff

--James.