Linux tarball questions

James Crook
I've been following the steps to build the 2.1.3 RC1 tarball.
It's here (for now).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oazja567zok0cte/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3jc12.tar.xz?dl=0

A couple of problems:

1) I need ./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
Does anyone know the correct way to put that into our build system?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/323790/autotools-how-to-set-global-compilation-flag

should our configure.ac have:
AC_SUBST([AM_CXXFLAGS], [-std=gnu++11]
in it (somewhere)?

Secondly libflac seems to be broken for me.  Specifically:

import/ImportFLAC.cpp:223
error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE' was not declared in this scope.

So is an old header being included perhaps?

FFmpeg is also broken for me.

I ended up compiling this tarball --without-lv2 --without-ffmpeg
--without-libflac

to get a build that ran for me.
So

(1) how come Travis build is not having these problems?
(2) what can be done to fix them?

Re: Linux tarball questions

Perhaps this should Cc'd to the devel list?

Can you can clone and compile HEAD with default ./configure
plus the CXXFLAGS option?

If not, the problem is presumably there.

Gale

On 9 February 2017 at 18:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been following the steps to build the 2.1.3 RC1 tarball.
> It's here (for now).
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oazja567zok0cte/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3jc12.tar.xz?dl=0
>
> A couple of problems:
>
> 1) I need ./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
> Does anyone know the correct way to put that into our build system?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/323790/autotools-how-to-set-global-compilation-flag
>
> should our configure.ac have:
> AC_SUBST([AM_CXXFLAGS], [-std=gnu++11]
> in it (somewhere)?
>

> Secondly libflac seems to be broken for me.  Specifically:
>
> import/ImportFLAC.cpp:223
> error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE' was not declared in this scope.
>
> So is an old header being included perhaps?
>
> FFmpeg is also broken for me.
>

> I ended up compiling this tarball --without-lv2 --without-ffmpeg
> --without-libflac
>
> to get a build that ran for me.
> So
>
> (1) how come Travis build is not having these problems?
> (2) what can be done to fix them?

Re: Linux tarball questions

Stevethefiddle
FFMpeg has been broken for a long time on Ubuntu / Debian.
The workaround used by Ubuntu is to disable dynamic loading:
../configure --disable-dynamic-loading
On my Debian box, this gives Audacity "mostly working" FFMpeg.

Steve

On 9 February 2017 at 19:14, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps this should Cc'd to the devel list?
>
> Can you can clone and compile HEAD with default ./configure
> plus the CXXFLAGS option?
>
> If not, the problem is presumably there.
>

> Gale
>

> On 9 February 2017 at 18:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've been following the steps to build the 2.1.3 RC1 tarball.
>> It's here (for now).
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oazja567zok0cte/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3jc12.tar.xz?dl=0
>>
>> A couple of problems:
>>
>> 1) I need ./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
>> Does anyone know the correct way to put that into our build system?
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/323790/autotools-how-to-set-global-compilation-flag
>>
>> should our configure.ac have:
>> AC_SUBST([AM_CXXFLAGS], [-std=gnu++11]
>> in it (somewhere)?
>>

>> Secondly libflac seems to be broken for me.  Specifically:
>>
>> import/ImportFLAC.cpp:223
>> error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE' was not declared in this scope.
>>
>> So is an old header being included perhaps?
>>
>> FFmpeg is also broken for me.
>>

>> I ended up compiling this tarball --without-lv2 --without-ffmpeg
>> --without-libflac
>>
>> to get a build that ran for me.
>> So
>>
>> (1) how come Travis build is not having these problems?
>> (2) what can be done to fix them?
>>
>> --James.

Re: Linux tarball questions

On 9 February 2017 at 20:27, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FFMpeg has been broken for a long time on Ubuntu / Debian.
> The workaround used by Ubuntu is to disable dynamic loading:
> ../configure --disable-dynamic-loading
> On my Debian box, this gives Audacity "mostly working" FFMpeg.

What version of Ubuntu, James - 16.04 ?

I don't have issue building with locally installed FFmpeg on 14.04 or
on 16.04 last time I tried (but that *was* before we upgraded FFmpeg
on Linux to avformat/avcodec 57.x.x).

I still don't recommend building with system FFmpeg and
--disable-dynamic-loading on Ubuntu. Historically that has always
given me a very broken result, worse than "mostly working". YMMV.

Gale

> On 9 February 2017 at 19:14, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps this should Cc'd to the devel list?
>>
>> Can you can clone and compile HEAD with default ./configure
>> plus the CXXFLAGS option?
>>
>> If not, the problem is presumably there.
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 9 February 2017 at 18:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've been following the steps to build the 2.1.3 RC1 tarball.
>>> It's here (for now).
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oazja567zok0cte/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3jc12.tar.xz?dl=0
>>>
>>> A couple of problems:
>>>
>>> 1) I need ./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
>>> Does anyone know the correct way to put that into our build system?
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/323790/autotools-how-to-set-global-compilation-flag
>>>
>>> should our configure.ac have:
>>> AC_SUBST([AM_CXXFLAGS], [-std=gnu++11]
>>> in it (somewhere)?
>>>

>>> Secondly libflac seems to be broken for me.  Specifically:
>>>
>>> import/ImportFLAC.cpp:223
>>> error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE' was not declared in this scope.
>>>
>>> So is an old header being included perhaps?
>>>
>>> FFmpeg is also broken for me.
>>>

>>> I ended up compiling this tarball --without-lv2 --without-ffmpeg
>>> --without-libflac
>>>
>>> to get a build that ran for me.
>>> So
>>>
>>> (1) how come Travis build is not having these problems?
>>> (2) what can be done to fix them?
>>>
>>> --James.

Re: Linux tarball questions

James Crook
On 2/9/2017 9:32 PM, Gale Andrews wrote:
> On 9 February 2017 at 20:27, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FFMpeg has been broken for a long time on Ubuntu / Debian.
>> The workaround used by Ubuntu is to disable dynamic loading:
>> ../configure --disable-dynamic-loading
>> On my Debian box, this gives Audacity "mostly working" FFMpeg.
> What version of Ubuntu, James - 16.04 ?
14.04.5 (trusty)

> I don't have issue building with locally installed FFmpeg on 14.04 or
> on 16.04 last time I tried (but that *was* before we upgraded FFmpeg
> on Linux to avformat/avcodec 57.x.x).
>
> I still don't recommend building with system FFmpeg and
> --disable-dynamic-loading on Ubuntu. Historically that has always
> given me a very broken result, worse than "mostly working". YMMV.

Re: Linux tarball questions

Thanks Steve.

./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11" --disable-dynamic-loading
--without-libflac

works for me both my normal compiling and with the tarball I shared earlier.
I've also updated configure.ac (just on my own branch for the moment)
https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity/commit/2a76ffc85d4c770061f38fb88c203319e7fb61fd

and with that change, only

./configure --disable-dynamic-loading --without-libflac
OR
./configure --without-ffmpeg --without-libflac

is needed.

Do you have a clue about why libflac could be failing?

--James.

On 2/9/2017 8:27 PM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> FFMpeg has been broken for a long time on Ubuntu / Debian.
> The workaround used by Ubuntu is to disable dynamic loading:
> ../configure --disable-dynamic-loading
> On my Debian box, this gives Audacity "mostly working" FFMpeg.
>
> Steve
>
> On 9 February 2017 at 19:14, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps this should Cc'd to the devel list?
>>
>> Can you can clone and compile HEAD with default ./configure
>> plus the CXXFLAGS option?
>>
>> If not, the problem is presumably there.
>>

>> Gale
>>

>> On 9 February 2017 at 18:32, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've been following the steps to build the 2.1.3 RC1 tarball.
>>> It's here (for now).
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/oazja567zok0cte/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3jc12.tar.xz?dl=0
>>>
>>> A couple of problems:
>>>
>>> 1) I need ./configure CXXFLAGS="-std=gnu++11"
>>> Does anyone know the correct way to put that into our build system?
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/323790/autotools-how-to-set-global-compilation-flag
>>>
>>> should our configure.ac have:
>>> AC_SUBST([AM_CXXFLAGS], [-std=gnu++11]
>>> in it (somewhere)?
>>>

>>> Secondly libflac seems to be broken for me.  Specifically:
>>>
>>> import/ImportFLAC.cpp:223
>>> error: 'FLAC__MAX_METADATA_TYPE' was not declared in this scope.
>>>
>>> So is an old header being included perhaps?
>>>
>>> FFmpeg is also broken for me.
>>>

>>> I ended up compiling this tarball --without-lv2 --without-ffmpeg
>>> --without-libflac
>>>
>>> to get a build that ran for me.
>>> So
>>>
>>> (1) how come Travis build is not having these problems?
>>> (2) what can be done to fix them?
>>>
>>> --James.

Re: Linux tarball questions

James Crook
./configure --with-ffmpeg=local --with-libflac=local

now builds OK for me.  Ffmpeg is unusable because I don't have the right .so for it.

with this commit:
https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity/commit/469c357f69c7aefc7152f799df4f36745089e011

./configure
should do the same thing as
./configure --with-ffmpeg=local --with-libflac=local

Not quite working right yet, probably because of an automake cache somewhere, but I think I'm nearly there.