Lost files

Dave  Hardesty
When I start Audacity (1.2.6) I get a message that there are files that have not been saved, that the program can't recover them automatically but I can manually.  That would be great if I could find them.  I have looked in Program Files/Audacity and there is no temp or data folder.  I have searched my computer for *.au and have not come up with anything other than .aui and those didn't seem to apply

Could you offer some guidance in how to find those files?

Re: Lost files

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Dave  Hardesty
    | Sat, 8 Sep 2007 09:59:17 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Lost files
    | When I start Audacity (1.2.6) I get a message that there are files
    | that have not been saved, that the program can't recover them
    | automatically but I can manually.  That would be great if I could
    | find them.  I have looked in Program Files/Audacity and there is no
    | temp or data folder.  I have searched my computer for *.au and
    | have not come up with anything other than .aui and those didn't
    | seem to apply

Have you actually had a crash when using Audacity, so that you could not
exit it properly, and thus leaving you with unsaved audio data that you were
recording or editing? Occasionally, temporary files may not be removed after
exiting Audacity normally, so that you get the message you have seen. If you
have not had a crash, you don't need to recover anything. Simply exit Audacity
and if you are asked if you want to save changes, say "no".

The location of the Audacity temporary folder is given on the Directories tab
of Preferences, but on Mac computers temporary files and folders are often
hidden, and on other computers searching might be set to ignore temporary
folders depending on what application you use to do the search. If you have
not had a crash, but still get the message about temporary files when you
launch Audacity, go to the temporary folder and manually delete any .au files
that are in there.

If you have had a crash and do need to recover the .au files in the temporary
folder, choose not to delete the temporary files when Audacity asks you. Then
please have a look at this Frequently Asked Question and the links thereon:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=crash-recovery

If you go to the Wiki page mentioned thereon you will be able to find a couple
of utilities for joining together the .au files into a continuous WAV file.

Please note there is a 2 GB maximum size for any WAV file created from the
reconstructed temporary files and there may be errors if this size is exceeded.
This implies an upper limit of 2 000 .au files. Sometimes (probably due to
bugs in the utilities) there can be errors before this limit is reached. In that
case you would need to split the .au files in the _data folder into two or
more groups, each containing consecutively numbered files, and recover each
group separately.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 9/8/2007 6:25:53 PM

Re: Lost files

Gary
My Audacity 1.37 beta had been working pretty good for several days then all of sudden Audacity suddenly destroyed and lost all of my 2 large tracks in one large 2GB saved audacity data file called "Recording" for no apparent reason!!!  The damn thing unexpectedly crashed after I made my last save action.  Then I mistakenly opened my last "Recording" project with aup.bak instead of just aup which then got saved as aup.bak.bak unknowingly which then unexpectedly crashed again and when I reopened "Recording.aup" again and selected the 'recover' option, it produced a completely all-empty project - both large tracks missing - and so was all of the size of the "Recording data folder" previously containing about 2GB which I have successfully recorded and edited before with no problems.  This has only happened a couple times before a long time ago and is so devastating and exhausting to have happen ever at all!!!  I really can't understand how the data folder file became completely empty when I performed frequent save actions frequently while editing!?!?   hanks to anyone for any help!!!

Re: Lost files

Gary wrote
[...]
Sorry you had problems, but why post here when it says "This list is no longer active, and can't be posted to"?

1.3.7 is an old Beta - please upgrade to 1.3.12. If you use Beta versions it is very important you keep them upgraded. Subscribe at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/#announce to our announcements mailing list so you know when we have a new version. When 1.3.13 comes out it should have much better crash recovery.

It may be possible to manually recover the data you have if it has not been edited. See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/CrashRecovery.

You may be able to use the error messages in 1.3.12 Help > Show Log to sort out what has happened.

In both cases, if you have chosen to permanently replace the data with silence and saved the changes, nothing will be recoverable.

Please ask on the Forum if you need more help - http://forum.audacityteam.org/. Do not reply here as this site is not monitored.

Gale