MIDI play on Linux

Paul Licameli
I just saw bug 1689, "MIDI devices not found on Linux," is fixed to Steve's satisfaction.  Hurrah!

I presume this means Steve also gave MIDI play a basic test with positive results.

Now the question is how the manual should instruct users who are naive about MIDI in setting up to play without extra hardware.  Is there a Linux equavalent of SimpleSynth for mac that can be recommended?

Of course, also remove the mentions of MIDI play working only on Mac and Windows.

Re: MIDI play on Linux

Stevethefiddle
On 21 July 2017 at 17:09, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just saw bug 1689, "MIDI devices not found on Linux," is fixed to Steve's
> satisfaction.  Hurrah!
>
> I presume this means Steve also gave MIDI play a basic test with positive
> results.

Yes. First result using a public domain MIDI file can be downloaded
here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwfifq1npabww3e/edvard-grieg-peer-gynt1-morning-mood.ogg?dl=0

> Now the question is how the manual should instruct users who are naive about
> MIDI in setting up to play without extra hardware.  Is there a Linux
> equavalent of SimpleSynth for mac that can be recommended?

There's a lot of options for Linux users.

Timidity++ is looking like the easiest so far, though there is
unfortunately a bug in the current Ubuntu and Debian versions that
cause it to crackle at the start of playback (apparently there is a
fix, but it's not yet in the repositories).

Steve