MIDI playback

Stevethefiddle
On Linux it is usual for MIDI applications to be able to connect
directly to MIDI synths such as Timidity or Fluid. It appears that
Audacity requires a physical MIDI interface. Is it intended that
eventually Audacity will be able to play MIDI through software MIDI
synths, or is the hardware requirement here to stay?

rbd

Re: MIDI playback

rbd
This sounds wrong to me. PortMidi can open any output port and makes no
distinction between hardware and software ports. I've used Timidity as
an output for PortMidi applications.  One thing PortMidi does not do is
provide an API to create a new port that synthesizers could then select
as their source -- this would be a nice feature but would not work on
Windows (at least there's nothing supporting this in the WinMM API) and
it would require additional support in Audacity to name the port (or we
could just call it "Audacity MIDI Out" I suppose). -Roger