Mac import and open no longer default to Documents folder

Mac import and open no longer default to Documents folder

Bill Wharrie
On Mac with a clean installation the Open and Import Audio commands default to the directory where Audacity is installed. This would normally be the Applications folder.

I seem to recall we wanted the default to be the user’s Documents folder?

— Bill

Re: Mac import and open no longer default to Documents folder

Peter Sampson-2

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mac with a clean installation the Open and Import Audio commands default to the directory where Audacity is installed. This would normally be the Applications folder.

I confirm this happens on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and on W10-CE

I seem to recall we wanted the default to be the user’s Documents folder?

My recollection is (and testing confirms) that we fixed this for Export
and for Save Project
a) macOS default exports/saves to Documents folder
b) W10-CE default exports/saves to the Documents>Audacity folder.

We fixed this for export but probably overlooked this got Import and Open.

For my money it is daft and inappropriate to be looking in the application's
installation directory for audio files and project files - I really think we should
be fixing this for 2.2.0.

Consistency, alone, demands that we should fix this.

I will be raising a Bugzilla entry for this (P2, borderline P1).

Good catch Bill ...

Peter.