Master repository is branched now

Paul Licameli
darkaudacity is now a distinct branch in the master repository.  Is that intentional?

Re: Master repository is branched now

James Crook
On 5/12/2017 9:10 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> darkaudacity is now a distinct branch in the master repository.  Is that
> intentional?
Yes.  I wasn't keen to do it.  I felt a branch in my own repo was better
on nearly all accounts.  However it seemed to matter a lot to Gale, so I
acceded to Gale's request for me to do it.  It's an auteur branch.  I
felt it clutters up our repo, and isn't needed because git is a DVCS.
If as RM you ask me to remove it again, just have it in my own repo, I
will.  It is not a right of RM to require that, but would certainly be a
reasonable request from RM.

Re: Master repository is branched now

Paul Licameli
I don't feel strongly that the repo ought never to branch, but it shouldn't be indiscriminate either, and I don't know what policy should govern.

I think you, James, may have some privileges with our GitHub repostory that I don't have?  Such as, to push -f in rare cases where that is needed.

PRL

On 5/12/2017 10:38 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
I don't feel strongly that the repo ought never to branch, but it shouldn't
be indiscriminate either, and I don't know what policy should govern.

I think you, James, may have some privileges with our GitHub repostory that
I don't have?  Such as, to push -f in rare cases where that is needed.
I did do a push -f to DarkAudacity branch recently, but anyone who has commit rights can do that.  It's only the master branch that (currently) has a lock against -f on it, and yes, I can lift that lock and reinstate it, but have done so twice so far, only, I think.

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:22 PM, James Crook [hidden email] wrote:

On 5/12/2017 9:10 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
darkaudacity is now a distinct branch in the master repository.  Is that
intentional?
Yes.  I wasn't keen to do it.  I felt a branch in my own repo was better
on nearly all accounts.  However it seemed to matter a lot to Gale, so I
acceded to Gale's request for me to do it.  It's an auteur branch.  I
felt it clutters up our repo, and isn't needed because git is a DVCS.
If as RM you ask me to remove it again, just have it in my own repo, I
will.  It is not a right of RM to require that, but would certainly be a
reasonable request from RM.

Re: Master repository is branched now

At least until recently, Steve was in favour of a darkaudacity branch too.

Gale