Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Peter Sampson-2
James' revised menu structure for DarkAudacity that he ported over into Audacity for 2.2.0
raises two very large documentation challenges.

1) Documenting the new menu structure.
James and I have been working on it.

I am glad to be able to say that in the past week we have come close to completing the first
pass on this.

James helped greatly by writing some code to auto-generate the images of the new menus
and submenus along with imagemaps of the menus/submenus.  That work save me days of
time - so I am extremely grateful to James for that.

And thanks to Gale for some of the edits he has picked up on along the way, much appreciated
as always (I'm sure you';; find more over time Gale).

Anyone who wants to look at the results please follow the links on:
Note that James' imagemaps link not only to the menu/submenu items, but also link from the
submenus direct to the other items in the top-level menus and to the top-level menus.

2) Finding and fixing the menu string links in the Manual

This is an even huger task.

I used the Replace Text tool to look for "{{menu|" and for "<span class="menu">"
The former yielded 370 pages the latter 425 pages - there is undoubtedly a bit of overlap
where both forms are used in some pages.

I thought about tackling this by using the "Replace Text" tool but having tackled the first few
mandraulically I decided that that could be too dangerous.  Plus I found myself finding other
related issues and incorrect links on pages  on which no editor had ventured for a long time.

So I decided that mandraulic was the best approach (I have a Word document with some
popular strings pre-stored).

I have decided to tackle this in batches all the pages that start with "A", then "B" etc. starting
with the "{{menu|" form and then moving to the "<span class="menu">" form.

It has taken me most of the day to deal with the "{{menu|" A... pages - so my maximum forecast
for this sub-project is 112 days - it will be less because some letters are sparse in page count
(though a few are very long).

And this is effectively a P1 in the Manual which will block release.

One good upshot of this is that we should end up with the more modern, more compact form
"{{menu|" replacing the "<span class="menu">".  Speaking as an editor I find the "{{menu|" form
much more readable.

I plan to give regular progress updates as I work through this sub-project.  I will report here in
this email thread.

Re: Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Peter Sampson-2
First update:

I manged to get A... to D... ov the "{{menu|" done tooday.

Thus I will reduce my forecast to 30 days to complete this.

And today's work has reduce the "<span class="menu" pagecount
from 425 to 415 - a small improvement, but an improvement.

Re: Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Vaughan Johnson-4
Very cool. Thanks for your efforts, guys! -- V

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Peter Sampson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> First update:
>
> I manged to get A... to D... ov the "{{menu|" done tooday.
>
> Thus I will reduce my forecast to 30 days to complete this.
>
> And today's work has reduce the "<span class="menu" pagecount
> from 425 to 415 - a small improvement, but an improvement.
>
> Peter.

Re: Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Peter Sampson-2
Orogress Report:

Well six days on and I've completed the pass through the {{menu|...  strings.

Now to set off on the <<span class="menu">... strings.

So this should be at least the half-way point.

Not a glamourous or exciting task - but in addition to the required changes I've spotted
and fixed a few other errors on the way.

Cheers,

Re: Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Stevethefiddle

On 25 April 2017 at 12:06, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Orogress Report:

Well six days on and I've completed the pass through the {{menu|...  strings.

Now to set off on the <<span class="menu">... strings.

So this should be at least the half-way point.

Not a glamourous or exciting task - but in addition to the required changes I've spotted
and fixed a few other errors on the way.

So I see.
You're doing a terrific job Peter.

Steve

Cheers,

Re: Mini-project: 2.2.0 revised menu structure.

Peter Sampson-2
Progess Report #2

well the second pass - the one working on the searched for <span class="menu"> ...
took much less time than the fiist {{menu|... pass

In fact I managed to complete it today.

So all should be good now in the Manual with regards to the (current) 2.2.0 menu changes.
But do please keep your eyes open for errors if and when you visit the alpha Manual.

Of course if we do do a bit more restructuring as has been discussed elsewhere then
more changes will need to be made in the Manual - but James is hoping to be able
to automate that.

Phew - I need a beer after all that ...