Quantcast

New commands for using clips using the keyboard committed

New commands for using clips using the keyboard committed

David Bailes-3
I've committed 8 new commands, all of which interact with the clips on the foccused track. As yet, there are no default shortcuts:
Cursor to > Previous clip boundary
Cursor to > Next clip boundary
Select > Previous clip boundary to cursor
Select > Cursor to next clip boundary
Select > Previous clip
Select > Next clip
Clip Left (not on a menu)
Clip Right (not on a menu)

(Commands for moving the cursor to next/previous clip boundary on ANY track are pending.)

relevant commits are:

David.

Re: New commands for using clips using the keyboard committed

Peter Sampson-2
.David,

do I assume that these are totally "occult" commands with no shortcuts
and no menu entries?

Asking for documentation purposes.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
.David,

do I assume that these are totally "occult" commands with no shortcuts
and no menu entries?

The first two commands are on the cursor to sub menu, on the Transport menu.
The next four commands are on the select sub menu, on the Edit menu.
(These six are obviously subject to being moved almost anywhere in the reorganization :) )
The last two commands are occult.

Asking for documentation purposes.

I wouldn't worry about documenting these until people have decided that they are happy with them,

David.

Re: New commands for using clips using the keyboard committed

James Crook
I've made it into a new top level menu, 'Select'.  It's broadly in line with Robert's proposal, but without his extra proposed commands.
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/d0911638d8f43f2fe0eee533760c42af261b44f3

I select visually, so you and Robert, not me, should be refining the menus/submenus for it from here - though I imagine you will both be using keyboard shortcuts most of the time.

One reason I did this was that I'd like to try and avoid big menus with a jumble of commands in them that we used to have.  The organising is to help people see groups of related commands that may or may not be of use to them.

--James.

David wrote:
>I wouldn't worry about documenting these until people have decided that they are happy with them,

Don't worry - I have aboslutely no intention of so doing until well after the dust settles.

Right now I'm just placing careful P1 placeholder to indicate future work ;-))

Cheers,

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've committed 8 new commands, all of which interact with the clips on the foccused track. As yet, there are no default shortcuts:
Cursor to > Previous clip boundary
Cursor to > Next clip boundary
Select > Previous clip boundary to cursor
Select > Cursor to next clip boundary
Select > Previous clip
Select > Next clip
Clip Left (not on a menu)
Clip Right (not on a menu)

These are some notes on the functionality of the clip left and clip right commands.
The aim is that they have similar functionality to using the mouse with the shift tool.
So Clip left/right is roughly equivalent to clicking in the focused track at the time given by selection start, and dragging one pixel to the left/right. To be more precise:

1. If the focused track does not contain selected audio, then  if selection start lies with a clip, that clip is moved, and selection start/the selection is also moved. (Using a mouse, selection start/the selection isn't moved.)

2. If the focused track contains selected audio, then if selection start lies within a clip, then that clip, along with all the other clips in any track which include audio which is selected, are moved, and the selected time range is moved.

3. If Sync lock tracks is one, then the relevant additional clips are moved.

On 7 April 2017 at 14:15, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've committed 8 new commands, all of which interact with the clips on the
>> foccused track. As yet, there are no default shortcuts:
>> Cursor to > Previous clip boundary
>> Cursor to > Next clip boundary
>> Select > Previous clip boundary to cursor
>> Select > Cursor to next clip boundary
>> Select > Previous clip
>> Select > Next clip
>> Clip Left (not on a menu)
>> Clip Right (not on a menu)
>

> These are some notes on the functionality of the clip left and clip right
> commands.
> The aim is that they have similar functionality to using the mouse with the
> shift tool.
> So Clip left/right is roughly equivalent to clicking in the focused track at
> the time given by selection start, and dragging one pixel to the left/right.
> To be more precise:
>
> 1. If the focused track does not contain selected audio, then  if selection
> start lies with a clip, that clip is moved, and selection start/the
> selection is also moved. (Using a mouse, selection start/the selection isn't
> moved.)

Thanks, David. That made me wonder about a new mouse "feature"
when using Time Shift Tool - if the mouse pointer straddles the cursor,
move the cursor with the drag. This is analogous to dragging with
the pointer over the selection to bring the selection along with the
drag.

Gale