New status messages

Paul Licameli
I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for cutlines:

"Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"

and for clip boundaries:

"Left-Click to join clips"

I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is

"Click to edit label text"

Gale, amend these as you see fit.

Re: New status messages

Peter Sampson-2

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for cutlines:

"Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"

and for clip boundaries:

"Left-Click to join clips"

I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is

"Click to edit label text"

If you do, you need to remember that for label text boxes there are two click actions:
1) left-click facilitates the edit
2) right-click gets you the dropdown men

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for cutlines:

"Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"

and for clip boundaries:

"Left-Click to join clips"

I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is

"Click to edit label text"

If you do, you need to remember that for label text boxes there are two click actions:
1) left-click facilitates the edit
2) right-click gets you the dropdown men

I think it should be the universal convention in future Audacity that you can right-click on any active item on the screen to get an appropriate context menu, as is the convention in so many other programs, and this goes without mentioning, to keep status bar messages from becoming "tl;dr".

But of course that does not yet describe our Audacity.

PRL

Gale, amend these as you see fit.

Re: New status messages

Stevethefiddle
I'd bet that 99% of new users select some audio and then right click
intending to "Copy" from the menu. I know I did ;-)
It would also be extremely convenient for mouse users if Audacity
actually did that.

Steve

On 19 June 2017 at 17:19, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for
>>> cutlines:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"
>>>
>>> and for clip boundaries:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to join clips"
>>>

>>> I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is
>>>

>>> "Click to edit label text"
>>

>> If you do, you need to remember that for label text boxes there are two
>> click actions:
>> 1) left-click facilitates the edit
>> 2) right-click gets you the dropdown men
>

> I think it should be the universal convention in future Audacity that you
> can right-click on any active item on the screen to get an appropriate
> context menu, as is the convention in so many other programs, and this goes
> without mentioning, to keep status bar messages from becoming "tl;dr".
>
> But of course that does not yet describe our Audacity.
>
> PRL
>

>>> Gale, amend these as you see fit.
>>>

>>> PRL

Re: New status messages

On 19 June 2017 at 17:19, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for
>>> cutlines:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"
>>>
>>> and for clip boundaries:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to join clips"

It's an old bugbear of mine that this makes drawing a selection
that includes a split line at either edge too hard.

So the followinɡ tempts me but I have not found a way to make it
shorter yetː
"Left-Click to join clips, click and drag to the line to select to it.

Gale

>>> I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is
>>>

>>> "Click to edit label text"
>>

>> If you do, you need to remember that for label text boxes there are two
>> click actions:
>> 1) left-click facilitates the edit
>> 2) right-click gets you the dropdown men
>

> I think it should be the universal convention in future Audacity that you
> can right-click on any active item on the screen to get an appropriate
> context menu, as is the convention in so many other programs, and this goes
> without mentioning, to keep status bar messages from becoming "tl;dr".
>
> But of course that does not yet describe our Audacity.
>
> PRL
>

>>> Gale, amend these as you see fit.
>>>

>>> PRL

Re: New status messages

Paul Licameli

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19 June 2017 at 17:19, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have added mouse-over status messages were there were none before, for
>>> cutlines:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to expand, Right-Click to remove"
>>>
>>> and for clip boundaries:
>>>
>>> "Left-Click to join clips"

It's an old bugbear of mine that this makes drawing a selection
that includes a split line at either edge too hard.

You refer to the hit-test logic, more so than the particular message related to the hit test.

Do you agree that is one more small reason that Audacity, in a later version, would benefit from TAB key cycling through multiple hit-test candidates at one point?

Or, is your complaint more about how the yellow snap lines behave when you drag?  Would you perhaps like ESC to escape from a snap position but not quit dragging of the selection?

So the followinɡ tempts me but I have not found a way to make it
shorter yetː
"Left-Click to join clips, click and drag to the line to select to it.

I agree that is a little long.  But the call is yours.

I raised this question more to make sure that the message conforms to conventions of capitalization and such.

>>> I intend soon to add one for label text boxes, and the working text is
>>>

>>> "Click to edit label text"
>>

>> If you do, you need to remember that for label text boxes there are two
>> click actions:
>> 1) left-click facilitates the edit
>> 2) right-click gets you the dropdown men
>

> I think it should be the universal convention in future Audacity that you
> can right-click on any active item on the screen to get an appropriate
> context menu, as is the convention in so many other programs, and this goes
> without mentioning, to keep status bar messages from becoming "tl;dr".
>
> But of course that does not yet describe our Audacity.
>
> PRL
>

>>> Gale, amend these as you see fit.
>>>

>>> PRL

Re: New status messages

On 20 June 2017 at 01:55, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 June 2017 at 17:19, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It's an old bugbear of mine that this makes drawing a selection
>> that includes a split line at either edge too hard.
>

> You refer to the hit-test logic, more so than the particular message related
> to the hit test.

My "bugbear" goes back long before that. User adds a split line,
then tries to make a selection with the mouse starting from the line.
.
The line then disappears.

> Do you agree that is one more small reason that Audacity, in a later
> version, would benefit from TAB key cycling through multiple hit-test
> candidates at one point?
>
> Or, is your complaint more about how the yellow snap lines behave when you
> drag?  Would you perhaps like ESC to escape from a snap position but not
> quit dragging of the selection?

Do you mean, so that ESC when clicking a split line and mouse is still down
cancels the merge and leaves the Split Line in situ? Yes that would help a
little but perhaps it is not very discoverable.

I always felt removing a split line is a big deal, and that right-click should
be required to do that, as with removing a Cut Line. But Steve thinks that too
much of an inconvenience, and it's potentially confusing given the longevity
of the current left-click to merge.

>> So the followinɡ tempts me but I have not found a way to make it
>> shorter yetː
>> "Left-Click to join clips, click and drag to the line to select to it.
>

> I agree that is a little long.  But the call is yours.

Precedent shows "click & drag" is acceptable shortening.

> I raised this question more to make sure that the message conforms to
> conventions of capitalization and such.

According to:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Guidelines_on_capitalization_in_Audacity_dialogs_and_messages

Status Bar text takes sentence caps unless referring to a named
menu bar item in which case that named item has Title caps.

We don't capitalise Click as in "Left-Click" and "Right-Click" in
the Manual, but do in the Status Bar messages. The sentence case
converters I tried did not capitalise "Click" . So I think ideally we
would not do so in Status Bar. We would say "Left-click to merge"
etc. for all such items. This would affect other messages than your
new ones.

Gale