Quantcast

Not Working

Natasha Jay
Hello,

I have installed Audacity 1.2.6 onto my laptop, but it is not working.  I plugged my Shure SM58 into the mic input and when I try to record something and play it back, you may (if you're lucky) be able to hear a very very very very quiet noise amongst a sea of hiss.  I don't know if it is significant, but I also have no access to the drop-down menu on the toolbar that has the options of "line in" etc.  Please help!!

Thanks,

Natasha Jay

Re: Not Working

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Natasha Jay
    | Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:20:07 -0400 (EDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] Not Working
    |  I have installed Audacity 1.2.6 onto my laptop, but it is not working.
    | I plugged my Shure SM58 into the mic input and when I try to record
    | something and play it back, you may (if you're lucky) be able to hear a
    | very.....quiet noise amongst a sea of hiss.  I don't know if it is
    | significant, but I also have no access to the drop-down menu on the toolbar
    | that has the options of "line in" etc.

You do need to set up Audacity to use the correct recording device and recording
source (i.e. at the moment, microphone). Except for Windows Vista and OS X
systems, this means being able to choose the "microphone" source in the Mixer
Toolbar. Please go through the setup steps indicated underneath this message.
If you still have problems please tell us what operating system you are on (e.g.
Windows XP, OS X 10.4, and if you are on OS X, whether you have an Intel Mac
or Power PC).

Please note that according to Shure, the SM58 is a sensitive low impedance
microphone, so really needs pre-amplification from a mixer or pre-amplifier (which
would normally connect to line-in of the computer) or if your laptop has no line-in,
from an external Input/Output device (which would connect via USB or Firewire).
In other words, even if you connected the SM58 to the microphone input and set
up Audacity correctly, you may not get sufficient input from the microphone. Please
see the Shure SM58 FAQs (especially No.10) - you may have to select the text of this
link and cut and paste it into your browser for it to work:

http://shure.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shure.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=sHkLvshi&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=1.2&p_prods=2%2C0&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=2&prod_lvl2=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=sm58&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl

Gale Andrews

RECORDING WITH MICROPHONE

1  Go to the Audio I/O tab of Preferences and check that the
    playback and recording devices are explicitly set to your inbuilt
    sound - do not select Microsoft SoundMapper if you are on Windows.
    If you buy a USB Input/Output device to plug the SM58 into, you
    will then need to set the USB device as the recording device.

    Typical recording device setups:

    * microphone plugged into microphone port: select built-in sound
       or the soundcard as the recording device
    * microphone plugged into a mixer which connects to line-in: select
       built-in sound or the soundcard as the recording device
    * microphone plugged into a USB or Firewire mixer or input/output
       device: select the USB or Firewire device as the recording device

2  If you want to record in stereo, change the recording channels
    on the same Audio I/O tab to "2 (stereo)". Note that many
    microphones or microphone ports are mono. If you are recording
    multiple tracks, it is preferable to record them in mono, then pan
    each in the stereo field with the L....R pan sliders on the track
    panel.

3  Now you have to set the recording source for the device you
    are recording from. On Windows and Linux you usually do this
    in the Mixer Toolbar dropdown selector
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

    but on Windows Vista the dropdown selector is always greyed out. Choose
    your input instead on the Audio I/O tab of Preferences, in the "Recording
    Device" dropdown. On OS X, the dropdown selector is normally greyed out
    on "default input". You have to specify your required input in Apple
    Audio-MIDI Setup.

    If your microphone is plugged into the microphone port on the
    computer, choose "microphone" or "mic" or "rear mic" on the
    dropdown selector.  If your microphone is plugged into a mixer or
    pre-amplifier connected to line-in on the computer, choose "line-in".

    If the device your microphone is plugged into connects via USB or Firewire,
    the Audacity dropdown selector that you use on Windows (XP or earlier) and
    Linux will normally be greyed out whilst the USBFirewire device is
    chosen as recording device in the Audio I/O tab, so step 3 can be skipped.
    Any configuration necessary can be done on the device or in any software
    that comes with it.

NOTE: If the Mixer Toolbar selector is greyed out on Windows (XP or earlier)
or Linux when recording into the microphone or line-in port of the computer,
please see this page:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues

4  Next, set the volume level of your recording input. Click on
    the downward pointing arrow in the right hand (red) recording
    level meters
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_meter.htm

    and click "monitor input" (or "Start Monitoring" in 1.3.2). While speaking or
    singing into your microphone as loud as you would for the loudest part of
    what you want to record, adjust the right-hand recording level slider (by the
    microphone symbol) on the Mixer Toolbar so the recording meters are almost
    reaching the far right-hand side (but not far enough to bring the red hold
    lights on). If the recording level meters are not visible, go to the Interface
    tab of Preferences and check "Enable Meter Toolbar" (or View > Toolbars >
    Show Meter Toolbar in 1.3.2).

5  Decide if you want to "monitor" your recording, that is, hear it
    played back as you make it. If you do, and you are on Windows or
    Linux, open the system sound mixer e.g. Sounds and Audio Devices
    in the Windows control panel, and unmute microphone or line-in (as
    appropriate) as a playback device, and turn the volume up. If you are
    on OS X, simply go back to the Audacity Audio I/O tab and enable
    "hardware playthrough". If this does not work, or if the playback and
    recording devices on Audio I/O tab are different, choose "software
    playthrough" on the same Audio I/O tab, which works on all operating
    systems, but with a delay and extra load on the computer.

    If you do monitor your recording, we recommend using headphones
    as this will prevent the playback of the recording seeping into the
    recording itself, which could cause an echo, or the recording to be
    too loud.

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 4/23/2007 8:23:17 AM