Nyquist on Ubuntu 10.10

Stevethefiddle
After installing Nyquist with sudo apt-get install nyquist
(play (osc 60)) produces a 46 byte temp.wav file and the error message:
"error: snd_save -- could not open audio output"

rbd

Re: Nyquist on Ubuntu 10.10

rbd
Hi, and sorry for the cross-posting, but there are so few on
Nyquist-users, this might be helpful...

[Suggestion for anyone that wants to build Nyquist on Linux...]

     Thanks for the question. I'm actually unaware of what unix
distributions are available and whether they work. Maybe I should take a
more proactive role in finding and working with whoever packages Nyquist
in linux distributions. I just moved nyquist from CVS to SVN (because I
couldn't get CVS to cooperate). The move is not complete, and I haven't
made any announcements because I was waiting to hear from someone who
might be trying it out. In any case, I'd suggest getting the head of the
SVN repository from SourceForge and seeing if it will build. This
version compiles on at least one 64-bit linux (red hat) and has a newer
version of PortAudio.
     Nyquist does not compile on any 64-bit architectures, but the build
system (basically just run make in the top directory) uses the -m32
switch on all compiles and libraries to run in 32-bit mode. I want to
switch over to 64-bit native code, but the combination of Lisp, garbage
collection, and lazy evaluation means there are lots of places where
memory is carefully managed with assumptions about pointer sizes. It's
not just a matter of recompiling.
     Please let me know what you find.

     -Roger