Nyquist output title

Robert Hänggi
Hi

Refers to text output from either Nyquist prompt or Nyquist worker.

When the Nyquist prompt has a header, it uses the name from
;nyquist plug-in
;version 4
;name "my plug-in"

However, if the name is not supplied the title will be

"Audacity.exe"

(Happens if a control is present and a secondary GUI is needed)

Now, if you add a name, it will be shown.

If you remove the name and the controls (or comment them out), the old
name will still be displayed.

In other words, the default (Nyquist Prompt ...) is not used where appropriate.

Thx
Robert

Re: Nyquist output title

Stevethefiddle
Are you referring to the current development code?
Which title are you referring to?

Steve

On 1 July 2017 at 12:56, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Refers to text output from either Nyquist prompt or Nyquist worker.
>
> When the Nyquist prompt has a header, it uses the name from
> ;nyquist plug-in
> ;version 4
> ;name "my plug-in"
>
> However, if the name is not supplied the title will be
>
> "Audacity.exe"
>
> (Happens if a control is present and a secondary GUI is needed)
>
> Now, if you add a name, it will be shown.
>
> If you remove the name and the controls (or comment them out), the old
> name will still be displayed.
>
> In other words, the default (Nyquist Prompt ...) is not used where appropriate.
>
> Thx
> Robert

Re: Nyquist output title

Robert Hänggi
I'm referring to the title after a Nyquist prompt execution that returns text.
The title for standard output of messages.

It happens for the current build.
(BTW, shouldn't the commit number be given in the build information
tab in the about dialog?)

Robert

On 01/07/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you referring to the current development code?
> Which title are you referring to?
>
> Steve
>
> On 1 July 2017 at 12:56, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Refers to text output from either Nyquist prompt or Nyquist worker.
>>
>> When the Nyquist prompt has a header, it uses the name from
>> ;nyquist plug-in
>> ;version 4
>> ;name "my plug-in"
>>
>> However, if the name is not supplied the title will be
>>
>> "Audacity.exe"
>>
>> (Happens if a control is present and a secondary GUI is needed)
>>
>> Now, if you add a name, it will be shown.
>>
>> If you remove the name and the controls (or comment them out), the old
>> name will still be displayed.
>>
>> In other words, the default (Nyquist Prompt ...) is not used where
>> appropriate.
>>
>> Thx
>> Robert

Re: Nyquist output title

On 1 July 2017 at 15:39, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm referring to the title after a Nyquist prompt execution that returns text.
> The title for standard output of messages.
>
> It happens for the current build.
> (BTW, shouldn't the commit number be given in the build information
> tab in the about dialog?)

As a builder that's your responsibility to do, *if* you don't make changes
to the code for that revision number.

Gale

> Robert
>
> On 01/07/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you referring to the current development code?
>> Which title are you referring to?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On 1 July 2017 at 12:56, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Refers to text output from either Nyquist prompt or Nyquist worker.
>>>
>>> When the Nyquist prompt has a header, it uses the name from
>>> ;nyquist plug-in
>>> ;version 4
>>> ;name "my plug-in"
>>>
>>> However, if the name is not supplied the title will be
>>>
>>> "Audacity.exe"
>>>
>>> (Happens if a control is present and a secondary GUI is needed)
>>>
>>> Now, if you add a name, it will be shown.
>>>
>>> If you remove the name and the controls (or comment them out), the old
>>> name will still be displayed.
>>>
>>> In other words, the default (Nyquist Prompt ...) is not used where
>>> appropriate.
>>>
>>> Thx
>>> Robert

Re: Nyquist output title

Robert Hänggi
On 01/07/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1 July 2017 at 15:39, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm referring to the title after a Nyquist prompt execution that returns
>> text.
>> The title for standard output of messages.
>>
>> It happens for the current build.
>> (BTW, shouldn't the commit number be given in the build information
>> tab in the about dialog?)
>
> As a builder that's your responsibility to do, *if* you don't make changes
> to the code for that revision number.

There's no revision number ("not available").

I naively thought that the commit ID the head points add would be
automatically added to this Info in the About Dialog.

It's not an issue for me as I can take the sha from the git bash.

It would have been a matter of convenience to drag the info from there
and not just the build date.

Robert

> Gale
>

>> Robert
>>
>> On 01/07/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Are you referring to the current development code?
>>> Which title are you referring to?
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Nyquist output title

Stevethefiddle
The name issue is part of a bigger issue that several of the header
commands affecting the GUI, when used from the Nyquist Prompt, persist
for the entire Audacity session unless changed.

This is not a new issue, but has become more noticeable due to new
features revealing this limitation.
There is a comment in the code to add some documentation about this,
which I've not had time to do yet.

I think I can fix the specific issue of the plug-in name, but the
general issue is quite complex, being due to the order in which things
are done to create the "Nyquist Worker" interface. Specifically,
Init(), which is the primary means of initialising a plug-in, occurs
after the interface has been created.

In the fabled "version 5" plug-ins, the order in which things happen
will change. In particular, Nyquist will be initialised much sooner so
that Nyquist functions in the script can interact with the GUI. Some
refactoring of Nyquist.cpp may be beneficial as a precursor to version
5.

Steve

On 1 July 2017 at 19:12, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/07/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1 July 2017 at 15:39, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm referring to the title after a Nyquist prompt execution that returns
>>> text.
>>> The title for standard output of messages.
>>>
>>> It happens for the current build.
>>> (BTW, shouldn't the commit number be given in the build information
>>> tab in the about dialog?)
>>
>> As a builder that's your responsibility to do, *if* you don't make changes
>> to the code for that revision number.
>>

> There's no revision number ("not available").
>
> I naively thought that the commit ID the head points add would be
> automatically added to this Info in the About Dialog.
>
> It's not an issue for me as I can take the sha from the git bash.
>
> It would have been a matter of convenience to drag the info from there
> and not just the build date.
>
> Robert
>

>> Gale
>>

>>> Robert

Re: Nyquist output title

Robert Hänggi
Thanks for fixing the initialization problem.
It looks now less like a Audacity error popping up.

Robert