Nyquist syntax highlighting?

Sami Jumppanen
Hello,

does anyone use a syntax highlighting editor for Nyquist? I'm using
syn Text Editor for practically everything (knows a nice set of files
starting from INI), but it doesn't seem to include a suitable syntax
highlighter for Nyquist, nor LISP in general. I think it is possible
to add the feature (registry settings etc.), but I'm not sure. The syn
documentation doesn't help.

What do you use?

--
Sami "Some-E" Jumppanen
[hidden email]

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

Alex S. Brown, PMP
I use UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com/). It costs money, but it allows
user-configured Word Files to control the syntax highlighting. It has a decent
word file for Lisp. If you want, you could add all the Nyquist commands, and
make a special Nyquist word file.

I usually do pretty small scripts, so I rarely use the editor. Often I just use
whatever text editor is installed on the PC I am working at (Notepad, etc.).

I had not heard of syn before. It looks like a good freeware editor. I had been
recommending Notepad++ as a free editor, but I will need to give syn a try
also.

--Alex

Quoting Sami Jumppanen <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone use a syntax highlighting editor for Nyquist? I'm using
> syn Text Editor for practically everything (knows a nice set of files
> starting from INI), but it doesn't seem to include a suitable syntax
> highlighter for Nyquist, nor LISP in general. I think it is possible
> to add the feature (registry settings etc.), but I'm not sure. The syn
> documentation doesn't help.
>
> What do you use?
>

> --
> Sami "Some-E" Jumppanen
> [hidden email]
> http://netti.nic.fi/~some-e/

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

edgar-rft

Hi Sami (and all others on the Nyquist list),

Beside Vim I usually work with JEdit because like Vim and Emacs Jedit is
multi-platform so I do not have to read several manuals to do the same
things on different systems. The syntax files are simple xml files and
it is quite easy to copy lisp.xml and extend it to nyquist.xml.

With the JEdit clipper plugin you can pre-define often used Nyquist
functions or plugin headers so you can do "mouse-click-programming".

JEdit depends on the Java runtime environment what is not a standard
part of all unix systems but usually no problem to install by hand.

I also can provide an Emacs elisp file where all Nyquist/XLisp keywords
are defined in a elisp association list for syntax highlighting if anybody
is interested. In Emacs it is also possible to run Nyquist as an inferior
Lisp process and send single defuns or whole source code buffers via
keyboard shortcuts to the Nyquist interpreter for evaluation.

I had started to write a Nyquist Lisp interface that works around SLIME
so you can use Nyquist together with Common Lisp Music but it only works
on Unix systems (Emacs 21.3.1 on CCRMA Fedora 3 tested) and is not really
finished yet.

- edgar

--
The author of this email does not necessarily endorse the
following advertisements, which are the sole responsibility

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

David R. Sky
Hi Edgar,

What is syntax highlighting, and what's an example of how I could use it?
I partially understood, it sounds like I can take for example a single
function defunned in a LISP file and run it to see what the results are,
which I assume means if that function doesn't work yet, it might 'break'
the rest of the code?

thanks

David

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

Sami Jumppanen
> What is syntax highlighting, and what's an example of how I could use it?

In short: formatting the text in question so that different syntatic
elements are coloured, in bold, in italics, what ever is needed to
make the text more readable. It has nothing to do with executing or
evaluating the code.

Let's take this line of code:
(lowpass s 14000)

Syntax highlighter could, for example, show the parentheses in black,
"lowpass" in bold (identifier), "s" in blue (variable) and "14000" in
red (value). Standard functions etc. could be displayed as reserved
words, and formatted differently. When programming - even a bit more
complex things - syntax highlighting helps very much.

When you are used to see your code in colour, that's the way you'll
go. When I'm printing functions on paper from my Delphi applications,
I just have to use colour printer :) The benefit of A3 size b&w
printout really is marginal.

> I partially understood, it sounds like I can take for example a single
> function defunned in a LISP file and run it to see what the results are,
> which I assume means if that function doesn't work yet, it might 'break'
> the rest of the code?

That goes a bit further and under terms like evaluator, compiler or
interpreter. Syntax highligher can be clever, but it usually doesn't
do syntax checks - except that the user usually sees from the
miscolouring that something is wrong. It may warn about missing
parentheses, but that's about as far syntax highlighter goes.

--
Sami "Some-E" Jumppanen
[hidden email]
http://netti.nic.fi/~some-e/

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

David R. Sky
Hi Sami,

Thanks for explaining. That sounds highly useful, for a sighted person.
For someone such as i who uses a screen reader to read what's on the
screen, is there an audio equivalent?

Thanks

david

Re: Nyquist syntax highlighting?

Bruce Sharpe
I use TextPad with the lisp.syn syntax file.  It works pretty well.

Bruce