One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

Miles99
I have a 45-minute MP3 of a conversation. I burned it to a CD as a WAV and like to listen to it while driving. Can I use Audacity to add track breaks every 3 minutes or so, to facilitate going back to re-listen to something that I want to hear again?

Thank you for writing and releasing such powerful software!

Re: One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

Gale Andrews

    | From Miles99 <[hidden email]>
    | Sun, 28 May 2006 10:51:42 -0500
    | I have a 45-minute MP3 of a conversation. I burned it to a CD as a WAV
    | and like to listen to it while driving. Can I use Audacity to add track
    | breaks every 3 minutes or so, to facilitate going back to re-listen to
    |  something that I want to hear again?

Yes, if you either reimport the MP3 or WAV into Audacity to edit it, or
if you no longer have either, extract the CD track back to a WAV file with
software such as CD-EX
http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/cdex/en/install/cdex_151.exe

or Exact Audio Copy
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

then import that WAV into Audacity.

If you are prepared to make your divisions into separate CD tracks then
you can split the long track in Audacity so that it exports as multiple
WAV files, one for each CD track. You can either burn the resultant files
with the standard 2 second gap between them, if that is appropriate,
or if your burner has a "no gap" or preferably "DiskAtOnce" (DAO) mode,
you can burn the tracks so that they play without any significant break
between them, but you can still navigate in the player from one track to
another.

The easiest way to split the track in Audacity is to  place markers about
every three minutes where you want to divide the track and then use the
"export multiple" command to export multiple WAV files - see

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=split

There is not yet an automatic way to split at set time periods but if you
use the 1.3.0 Beta program there is a slightly quicker workround.

1 Click the selection length radio button and enter the length
   you want the time period to be
2 Ensure all the figures in the selection start boxes are zeros.
3 CTRL + B, first track to be split is selected
4 Enter in the selection start boxes the start time of the second
  track to be split (3 mins. in your example), CTL + B and repeat
  as necessary. Cursor stops in the selection start box so it's fairly
  easy.

If you do not want to split the file into separate CD tracks one way
you can "mark" the CD tracks is to burn the long WAV file as an image
with a cue sheet pointing to the different sections within the track.
This needs burning software that can support this and a player that can
read the cue sheet. Read more on cue sheets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet

Gale Andrews

Re: One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

Miles99
Thank you, Gale! Using your info on markers and multiple, I came up with this simplified method:
1. Open the MP3 file from within Audacity.
2. Click on the audio track at time 00.00, click Ctrl-B.
3. Then click on the audio track at about time 2.5 minutes, click Ctrl-B.
4. Repeat step 3 every couple of minutes.
5. (memory is fading) Do the Multiple thing, exporting as MP3. Set so tracks are numbered sequentially.
6. Now burn those 15 or 20 tracks to a CD using software that converts MP3 to WAV.
7. That's it!

> [...]

This needs burning software that can support this and a player that can
read the cue sheet. Read more on cue sheets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet

Gale Andrews

Re: One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

Gale Andrews

    | From Miles99 <[hidden email]>
    | Sun, 28 May 2006 13:56:13 -0500
    | Using your info on markers and multiple, I came up with this simplified
    | method:
    | 1. Open the MP3 file from within Audacity.
    | 2. Click on the audio track at time 00.00, click Ctrl-B.
    | 3. Then click on the audio track at about time 2.5 minutes, click Ctrl-B.
    | 4. Repeat step 3 every couple of minutes.
    | 5.Do the Multiple thing, exporting as MP3. Set so tracks are numbered
    | sequentially.
    | 6. Now burn those 15 or 20 tracks to a CD using software that converts

Yes that is how you'd do it in 1.2.4 which has has no time selection box. The
only real benefit of the selection box method in the Beta is where the track is
very long and you have a lot of divisions to make; it just saves you having to
zoom in and then scroll around to click in the track in the correct place.

For the same of completeness, it would theoretically have been better if you
had exported the files as WAVs, because exporting to MP3 compresses them
and reduces their quality. Since you are burning an audio CD (rather than a
data CD containing MP3s that you'd play in your computer), you have to
decompress them to WAV anyway so MP3 export has no advantage in filesize
terms but loses quality. It's not likely to matter with a conversation as it was
in your case, but you'd have risked audible quality loss had it been music.

Gale Andrews

Re: One Long MP3 Track, How to Break into Smaller Tracks?

Trucker98
Thank You so much,i used your method and it worked very well,i had a 6hr and 5hr audio book that i needed to split up and thanks to you i did it,THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.