Oscillations and Nyquist generate prompt update

Oscillations and Nyquist generate prompt update

David R. Sky
Hi Edgar,

These posts about the highpass filter & oscillations got me
thinking... a 50ms burst of a 20Hz signal means exactly one cycle
of the 20Hz tone. It's definitely audible with the following code:

(mult
(diff 1.0 (ramp 0.05)) ; 50ms ramp from 1 to 0
(osc (hz-to-step 20) 0.05)) ; 50ms of 20Hz tone

(just as 10s of a 0.1hz tone is also one cycle of that tone, and so
on... does that tone start at a specific point such as 0, 90, 180 or
whatever degrees?)

Which brings me to my next question: some time back Steven Jones
helped me make a "Nyquist generate prompt", it has one line of text
input (such as the above all on one line), but I'd like to have
about 5 lines to enter code, like in the Nyquist prompt undr the
effects menu. Do you know how to make this so? The file generate.ny
is attached with this msg.

Thanks

David

generate.ny (782 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Oscillations and Nyquist generate prompt update

edgar-rft
Hi David,

have you any clue where I can find the documentation for this line:

;control code "Nyquist code" string ""

meanwhile I know how it works but the more important question is:
is there Audacity Nyquist interface documentation missing ?

With the generator.ny plugin you can simulate the sound of the error
signal with this code:

(hp (s-max (pwl 0.05) 0.95) 20)

or

(highpass8 (s-max (pwl 0.05) 0.95) 20)

s-max 0.95 simulates a dc bias of 0.475 multiplied by 2 for a duration
of 0.05 seconds produced by the pwl function. Then the filters do their
work and produce the error so you can listen to it. On the screen it
looks exactly like the error signal of the rectifier plugin.

Without the rectifier sound you can hear a sharp click noise but with
the rectifier sound the click noise is covered by the rest of the
audio signal that has even tough it has less volume (or better less
amplitude) it has much more energy so you nearly cannot hear the click.

Concerning the generate.ny plugin with several lines.

I know that while I wrote the Nyquist Emacs interface Steven had continued
to write a text based Nyquist editor interface within Nyquist itself but
I don't know how successful or not his experiments have ended.

Do you know wether Steven is still on this list at all ?

I have a complete XLisp reference manual here where I can read how to
extend the XLisp string handling maybe with several strings in several
lines but therefore I whould need more information about the Nyquist
interface itself and the string handling in the interface.

Therefore it whould be useful to know where you or Steven have your
information. I do not have any information about this at all.

Thanks,

- edgar

the rest is the transcription of your original request

--
The author of this email does not necessarily endorse the
following advertisements, which are the sole responsibility

Re: Oscillations and Nyquist generate prompt update

David R. Sky
Hi Edgar,

Steven spent some time working out that single line of code, I think he
got some information from Appendix 3 of Roger's online Nyquist manual,
I'll send it to you offlist in an attachment. As far as the
Audacity-Nyquist connection goes with this particular code, I don't know,
this kind of code is still beyond me at the moment.

Thanks

David