P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

Leland (Audacity Team)
Gale,

Do you think the following may be the cause.  It would certainly explain
why the listed cure works:

1)  Start a clean project
2)  Generate any amount of silence
3)  Save the project

You should now get the "Error saving project" dialog.

This can occur in any project that has SilentBlockFiles.  I know the
cause, just haven't come up with a solution yet.

Leland

Re: P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

Leland (Audacity Team) wrote:
> Do you think the following may be the cause.  It would certainly explain
> why the listed cure works:
>
> 1)  Start a clean project
> 2)  Generate any amount of silence
> 3)  Save the project
>
> You should now get the "Error saving project" dialog.
> This can occur in any project that has SilentBlockFiles.
> I know the cause, just haven't come up with a solution yet.

None of the complainants have mentioned silence, but there is probably no reason a user would perceive a relationship.

From tests just done on 1.3.10 Win XP:

* I followed your steps (default 30 seconds silence) and saved a project successfully (no error). I quitted and repeated, and again saved a project OK (to a different name than the first one). Quitted and tried again and got the error after navigating in the file window to the same internal drive as before. When I reopen one of the two saved projects containing 30 seconds of silence, I get one missing blockfile. When I close the project without changes and open it again, it reports 207 (sic) orphaned blockfiles. When I close without changes and open it again, it cannot find the _data folder.

* Saving a project with a 30 second tone in upper track and 30 seconds silence in a track underneath produced the error after hitting Save in the file window.

* Saving a default DTMF tone as a project worked fine.

* Created a 1300 seconds DTMF (I did not change the amplitude or the slider) and I got an error writing "" - is the disk full etc. on hitting File > Save Project, before getting to the file window. Quitted, generated an identical 1300 seconds DTMF and saved project OK (and no errors reopening).

I'll ask on the Forum about silence always being implicated. From the final bullet point, would it seem that a simpleblockfile at zero RMS could also be an issue? But from the first and final bullet, it still seems a silentblockfile or simpleblockfile at zero RMS may not reliably produce the error?

Re: P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

Leland (Audacity Team)
Gale,

Did you update and rebuild before running these tests?

Leland

Gale (Audacity Team) wrote:

> Leland (Audacity Team) wrote:
>> Do you think the following may be the cause.  It would certainly explain
>> why the listed cure works:
>>
>> 1)  Start a clean project
>> 2)  Generate any amount of silence
>> 3)  Save the project
>>
>> You should now get the "Error saving project" dialog.
>> This can occur in any project that has SilentBlockFiles.
>> I know the cause, just haven't come up with a solution yet.
>
> None of the complainants have mentioned silence, but there is probably no
> reason a user would perceive a relationship.
>
>>From tests just done on 1.3.10 Win XP:
>
> * I followed your steps (default 30 seconds silence) and saved a project
> successfully (no error). I quitted and repeated, and again saved a project
> OK (to a different name than the first one). Quitted and tried again and got
> the error after navigating in the file window to the same internal drive as
> before. When I reopen one of the two saved projects containing 30 seconds of
> silence, I get one missing blockfile. When I close the project without
> changes and open it again, it reports 207 (sic) orphaned blockfiles. When I
> close without changes and open it again, it cannot find the _data folder.
>
> * Saving a project with a 30 second tone in upper track and 30 seconds
> silence in a track underneath produced the error after hitting Save in the
> file window.
>
> * Saving a default DTMF tone as a project worked fine.
>
> * Created a 1300 seconds DTMF (I did not change the amplitude or the slider)
> and I got an error writing "" - is the disk full etc. on hitting File > Save
> Project, before getting to the file window. Quitted, generated an identical
> 1300 seconds DTMF and saved project OK (and no errors reopening).
>
> I'll ask on the Forum about silence always being implicated. From the final
> bullet point, would it seem that a simpleblockfile at zero RMS could also be
> an issue? But from the first and final bullet, it still seems a
> silentblockfile or simpleblockfile at zero RMS may not reliably produce the
> error?

Re: P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

| From Leland <[hidden email]>
| Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:48:17 -0500
| Subject: [Audacity-devel] P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.
> Gale,
>
> Did you update and rebuild before running these tests?
>
> Leland

On the basis your e-mail said you hadn't got a fix, and I started
testing straight away, no. That was all on the pre-fix code.

Anyway, thanks I'll run through all those again after I've updated
later today.

Gale

> Gale (Audacity Team) wrote:
> > Leland (Audacity Team) wrote:
> >> Do you think the following may be the cause.  It would certainly explain
> >> why the listed cure works:
> >>
> >> 1)  Start a clean project
> >> 2)  Generate any amount of silence
> >> 3)  Save the project
> >>
> >> You should now get the "Error saving project" dialog.
> >> This can occur in any project that has SilentBlockFiles.
> >> I know the cause, just haven't come up with a solution yet.
> >
> > None of the complainants have mentioned silence, but there is probably no
> > reason a user would perceive a relationship.
> >
> >>From tests just done on 1.3.10 Win XP:
> >
> > * I followed your steps (default 30 seconds silence) and saved a project
> > successfully (no error). I quitted and repeated, and again saved a project
> > OK (to a different name than the first one). Quitted and tried again and got
> > the error after navigating in the file window to the same internal drive as
> > before. When I reopen one of the two saved projects containing 30 seconds of
> > silence, I get one missing blockfile. When I close the project without
> > changes and open it again, it reports 207 (sic) orphaned blockfiles. When I
> > close without changes and open it again, it cannot find the _data folder.
> >
> > * Saving a project with a 30 second tone in upper track and 30 seconds
> > silence in a track underneath produced the error after hitting Save in the
> > file window.
> >
> > * Saving a default DTMF tone as a project worked fine.
> >
> > * Created a 1300 seconds DTMF (I did not change the amplitude or the slider)
> > and I got an error writing "" - is the disk full etc. on hitting File > Save
> > Project, before getting to the file window. Quitted, generated an identical
> > 1300 seconds DTMF and saved project OK (and no errors reopening).
> >
> > I'll ask on the Forum about silence always being implicated. From the final
> > bullet point, would it seem that a simpleblockfile at zero RMS could also be
> > an issue? But from the first and final bullet, it still seems a
> > silentblockfile or simpleblockfile at zero RMS may not reliably produce the
> > error?
> >

> > Gale

Re: P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

| From Leland <[hidden email]>
| Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:48:17 -0500
| Subject: [Audacity-devel] P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.
> Gale,
>
> Did you update and rebuild before running these tests?
>
> Leland

I now have, and successfully tested all the below on Windows XP:

* Saved and re-opened a project with a track containing 30 seconds'
    silence
* Saved and re-opened a project with a 30 second tone in upper track
    and 30 seconds' silence in a track underneath
* Saved and re-opened a project with 30 seconds' DTMF tone
* Saved and re-opened a project with a 1300 seconds' DTMF tone

Then duplicated the tests with the tracks time-shifted by various
amounts. Again, no problem. No-one has responded on the Forum
yet as to whether the projects they could not save included silence.
So we've fixed what we could replicate, and guess we'll have to
wait a bit to know if we really fixed all the cases.

Thanks

Gale Andrews wrote:

> | From Leland <[hidden email]>
> | Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:48:17 -0500
> | Subject: [Audacity-devel] P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.
>> Gale,
>>
>> Did you update and rebuild before running these tests?
>>
>> Leland
>
> I now have, and successfully tested all the below on Windows XP:
>
> * Saved and re-opened a project with a track containing 30 seconds'
>     silence
> * Saved and re-opened a project with a 30 second tone in upper track
>     and 30 seconds' silence in a track underneath
> * Saved and re-opened a project with 30 seconds' DTMF tone
> * Saved and re-opened a project with a 1300 seconds' DTMF tone
>
> Then duplicated the tests with the tracks time-shifted by various
> amounts. Again, no problem. No-one has responded on the Forum
> yet as to whether the projects they could not save included silence.
> So we've fixed what we could replicate, and guess we'll have to
> wait a bit to know if we really fixed all the cases.

Cool.  Thanks Gale.

Leland

Re: P2 Spurious "not writable/disk full" errors when saving projects.

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 09:20 +0100, Gale Andrews wrote:
> Then duplicated the tests with the tracks time-shifted by various
> amounts. Again, no problem. No-one has responded on the Forum
> yet as to whether the projects they could not save included silence.
> So we've fixed what we could replicate, and guess we'll have to
> wait a bit to know if we really fixed all the cases.

My instances related to projects that definitely didn't have generated
silence in them, but given the nature of the raw audio recordings that
were loaded in, there may well be near-silent sections in there
somewhere. I'll let you know if I hit the same problem again.

Richard