Pasting tracks into new project

Robert Hänggi
A slight regression:
It is no longer possible to paste copied tracks into a new project
(Audacity instance) without first creating a track.

Robert

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

David Bailes-3
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:16 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
A slight regression:
It is no longer possible to paste copied tracks into a new project
(Audacity instance) without first creating a track.

It also introduces an inconsistency:
1. You can't paste into a project with no tracks. (previously, a new track was created and audio placed in it.)
2. If a project contains tracks, but no audio is selected, paste creates a new track and places the audio in it.

David.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:16 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
A slight regression:
It is no longer possible to paste copied tracks into a new project
(Audacity instance) without first creating a track.

It also introduces an inconsistency:
1. You can't paste into a project with no tracks. (previously, a new track was created and audio placed in it.)
2. If a project contains tracks, but no audio is selected, paste creates a new track and places the audio in it.

+ given that this appears to be an unintended consequence of a recent commit:

could that commit be reverted, and another fix found for the original problem (rather than creating another problem),

David.

David.

Robert

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

James Crook
Thanks David.

I'd rate the issue P4, though am persuadable it is P3 (because it is a
change).
The issue it fixes with label tracks was a P2.

So unless Gale rates the 'slight regression/inconsistency' issue below
higher than P3, the workaround from Steve for Bug 1599 stays.

Thanks for reports/confirmation of the issue though, and for looking for
and finding extra details of its effects.

--James.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:03 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks David.

I'd rate the issue P4, though am persuadable it is P3 (because it is a
change).
The issue it fixes with label tracks was a P2.

So unless Gale rates the 'slight regression/inconsistency' issue below
higher than P3, the workaround from Steve for Bug 1599 stays.

This workaround was to change the flags for paste to:
AudioIONotBusyFlag | TracksExistFlag

If the TrackExistFlag was removed from this, then I think that should still fix 1599, without introducing yet another bug.

David.

Thanks for reports/confirmation of the issue though, and for looking for
and finding extra details of its effects.

--James.

On 3/2/2017 5:08 PM, David Bailes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:16 AM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> A slight regression:
>>> It is no longer possible to paste copied tracks into a new project
>>> (Audacity instance) without first creating a track.
>>>
>> It also introduces an inconsistency:
>> 1. You can't paste into a project with no tracks. (previously, a new track
>> was created and audio placed in it.)
>> 2. If a project contains tracks, but no audio is selected, paste creates a
>> new track and places the audio in it.
>>
> + given that this appears to be an unintended consequence of a recent
> commit:
> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/f4bfe1fc027f6b40c3a808e2b560a1bf81f6a6a2
>
> could that commit be reverted, and another fix found for the original
> problem (rather than creating another problem),
>
> David.
>

>> David.

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Stevethefiddle
On 2 March 2017 at 18:34, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:03 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks David.
>>
>> I'd rate the issue P4, though am persuadable it is P3 (because it is a
>> change).
>> The issue it fixes with label tracks was a P2.
>>
>> So unless Gale rates the 'slight regression/inconsistency' issue below
>> higher than P3, the workaround from Steve for Bug 1599 stays.
>

> This workaround was to change the flags for paste to:
> AudioIONotBusyFlag | TracksExistFlag
>
> If the TrackExistFlag was removed from this, then I think that should still
> fix 1599, without introducing yet another bug.

If there happens to be text on the system clipboard (perhaps you
pasted a URL into your web browser, or perhaps you've been editing a
document ...) then the Paste command will be enabled right from the
moment that you launch Audacity.

Steve

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 March 2017 at 18:34, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:03 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks David.
>>
>> I'd rate the issue P4, though am persuadable it is P3 (because it is a
>> change).
>> The issue it fixes with label tracks was a P2.
>>
>> So unless Gale rates the 'slight regression/inconsistency' issue below
>> higher than P3, the workaround from Steve for Bug 1599 stays.
>

> This workaround was to change the flags for paste to:
> AudioIONotBusyFlag | TracksExistFlag
>
> If the TrackExistFlag was removed from this, then I think that should still
> fix 1599, without introducing yet another bug.

If there happens to be text on the system clipboard (perhaps you
pasted a URL into your web browser, or perhaps you've been editing a
document ...) then the Paste command will be enabled right from the
moment that you launch Audacity.

Sure. But for nearly all the time the user spends with Audacity there will be tracks in the project, and so even with the TracksExistFlag, the paste command can be incorrectly enabled most of the time.

So does the TracksExistsFlag help that much, apart from creating another bug?

David.

Steve

On 2 March 2017 at 19:13, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > This workaround was to change the flags for paste to:
>> > AudioIONotBusyFlag | TracksExistFlag
>> >
>> > If the TrackExistFlag was removed from this, then I think that should
>> > still
>> > fix 1599, without introducing yet another bug.
>>
>> If there happens to be text on the system clipboard (perhaps you
>> pasted a URL into your web browser, or perhaps you've been editing a
>> document ...) then the Paste command will be enabled right from the
>> moment that you launch Audacity.
>

> Sure. But for nearly all the time the user spends with Audacity there will
> be tracks in the project, and so even with the TracksExistFlag, the paste
> command can be incorrectly enabled most of the time.

and if tracks are present in the project, then pasting audio works.

I think it comes down to a question of "which way is it broken".

It's probably a small minority of users that copy tracks from one
project to another, whereas almost everyone has an empty project at
one time or another (unless they 'always' launch Audacity by opening a
project or audio file). On the other hand, the problem David describes
has a bigger impact on those users that experience it, than the (more
common) problem that we would have if we remove the TracksExist flag.

Given that we're not going to attempt a full and proper fix now, I'm
inclined to agree that David's proposal would be a safe and easy
improvement (less bad).

Steve

> So does the TracksExistsFlag help that much, apart from creating another
> bug?
>
> David.
>

>> Steve
>>

>> > David.

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

James Crook
OK.  Since you both agree on this I did:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/2efd4ee9ca3a0936f8a2343e2f818d6b3cf71175

I probably shouldn't have because we're getting close to RCs again, but
I did.

--James.

On 3/3/2017 12:03 AM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:

> On 2 March 2017 at 19:13, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> If there happens to be text on the system clipboard (perhaps you
>>> pasted a URL into your web browser, or perhaps you've been editing a
>>> document ...) then the Paste command will be enabled right from the
>>> moment that you launch Audacity.
>>
>> Sure. But for nearly all the time the user spends with Audacity there will
>> be tracks in the project, and so even with the TracksExistFlag, the paste
>> command can be incorrectly enabled most of the time.
> and if tracks are present in the project, then pasting audio works.
>
> I think it comes down to a question of "which way is it broken".
>
> It's probably a small minority of users that copy tracks from one
> project to another, whereas almost everyone has an empty project at
> one time or another (unless they 'always' launch Audacity by opening a
> project or audio file). On the other hand, the problem David describes
> has a bigger impact on those users that experience it, than the (more
> common) problem that we would have if we remove the TracksExist flag.
>
> Given that we're not going to attempt a full and proper fix now, I'm
> inclined to agree that David's proposal would be a safe and easy
> improvement (less bad).
>
> Steve
>
>> So does the TracksExistsFlag help that much, apart from creating another
>> bug?
>>
>> David.
>>

>>> Steve

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

James Crook
Just seen that Gale made this a P2 in any case, so I needn't have
worried, too much, about the retesting that this change implies.  The
avoidable retesting was my main reason for being reluctant.

--James.

On 3/3/2017 10:17 AM, James Crook wrote:

> OK.  Since you both agree on this I did:
> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/2efd4ee9ca3a0936f8a2343e2f818d6b3cf71175
>
> I probably shouldn't have because we're getting close to RCs again, but
> I did.
>
> --James.
>

> On 3/3/2017 12:03 AM, Steve the Fiddle wrote:
>> On 2 March 2017 at 19:13, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Sure. But for nearly all the time the user spends with Audacity there will
>>> be tracks in the project, and so even with the TracksExistFlag, the paste
>>> command can be incorrectly enabled most of the time.
>> and if tracks are present in the project, then pasting audio works.
>>
>> I think it comes down to a question of "which way is it broken".
>>
>> It's probably a small minority of users that copy tracks from one
>> project to another, whereas almost everyone has an empty project at
>> one time or another (unless they 'always' launch Audacity by opening a
>> project or audio file). On the other hand, the problem David describes
>> has a bigger impact on those users that experience it, than the (more
>> common) problem that we would have if we remove the TracksExist flag.
>>
>> Given that we're not going to attempt a full and proper fix now, I'm
>> inclined to agree that David's proposal would be a safe and easy
>> improvement (less bad).
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>> So does the TracksExistsFlag help that much, apart from creating another
>>> bug?
>>>
>>> David.

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Robert Hänggi
Thanks to all for resolving this issue temporarily.
Robert

> Just seen that Gale made this a P2 in any case, so I needn't have
> worried, too much, about the retesting that this change implies.  The
> avoidable retesting was my main reason for being reluctant.
>
> --James.
>

> On 3/3/2017 10:17 AM, James Crook wrote:
>> OK.  Since you both agree on this I did:
>> https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/2efd4ee9ca3a0936f8a2343e2f818d6b3cf71175
>>
>> I probably shouldn't have because we're getting close to RCs again, but
>> I did.
>>
>> --James.

>>> and if tracks are present in the project, then pasting audio works.
>>>
>>> I think it comes down to a question of "which way is it broken".
>>>
>>> It's probably a small minority of users that copy tracks from one
>>> project to another, whereas almost everyone has an empty project at
>>> one time or another (unless they 'always' launch Audacity by opening a
>>> project or audio file). On the other hand, the problem David describes
>>> has a bigger impact on those users that experience it, than the (more
>>> common) problem that we would have if we remove the TracksExist flag.
>>>
>>> Given that we're not going to attempt a full and proper fix now, I'm
>>> inclined to agree that David's proposal would be a safe and easy
>>> improvement (less bad).
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Peter Sampson-2
Seems to work a treat again in the latest nightlies on W10 and Sierra 10.12.3

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Hi Peter,

The latest Windows nightly about 3AM this morning was "a5f7dc6"
and so does not include the revised fix for bug 1599.

The Mac Nightly build does include the revised fix.

Gale

On 3 March 2017 at 13:58, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems to work a treat again in the latest nightlies on W10 and Sierra
> 10.12.3
>
> Peter.

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Peter Sampson-2
Hi Gale,

Whoops my bad

that's what happens when I test multiple scenarios/fixes
and don't make proper notes.

So yepper - it doesn't work on the latest Win nightly, just
retested just to make sure ...

Sorry for the noise,

Re: Pasting tracks into new project

Peter Sampson-2
Ok so now I tested on W10 on audacity-win-r0efe931-2.1.3-alpha-03-mar-17

And I confirm you can paste a track - succesy pasted into an empty project
a) stereo audio track
b) mono audio track
c) label track
d) various combinations of the above

I coudn't past in a Time track (but I wasn't expecting to be able to.