(Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

Danni Coy
I needed this functionality for a project I had. I have just cleaned up the to
some degree. Please take a look and let me know if anything is needed for this
to be accepted

What does it do?

Really easy one - Essentially combines the  FindClipping and Repair Plugins...
Except still detects clipped areas that have been negatively amplified.

Also the maximum number of samples to be repaired is configurable....

Workflow is something like this --

1) Select everything, apply an amplify effect with a negative scaling to give
you enough headroom to work with.

2) select region with multiple ciipped regions and apply Repair Clipping

This basically should replace the Nyquist clipfix plugin which had severe
memory issues.

Forgive me if this is a bit confusing.
        and Thankyou
                Danni

--
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by:
High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel

RepairClipping.cpp (8K) Download Attachment
RepairClipping.h (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

Martyn Shaw-2
Hi Danni

I just found this in my inbox whilst tidying up, and apologise that
you don't seem to have had any reply.

This sounds like a useful combination of current effects (but I
haven't tried it).  Does it work with the current code?

I note that we have in place now code that allows sample to have
samples bigger than +-1, so the workflow could be to not do 1) but do
an Amplify after the effect is applied.  Would that make the code simpler?

Also, this is not a plugin but a full-blown effect (that is, it has to
be part of the main code base, unless re-written as a module).

Please resubmit as a patch against the current CVS, so that we get all
the other code required (like changes to Menu).

TTFN
Martyn

Danni Coy wrote:

> I needed this functionality for a project I had. I have just cleaned up the to
> some degree. Please take a look and let me know if anything is needed for this
> to be accepted
>
> What does it do?
>
> Really easy one - Essentially combines the  FindClipping and Repair Plugins...
> Except still detects clipped areas that have been negatively amplified.
>
> Also the maximum number of samples to be repaired is configurable....
>
> Workflow is something like this --
>
> 1) Select everything, apply an amplify effect with a negative scaling to give
> you enough headroom to work with.
>
> 2) select region with multiple ciipped regions and apply Repair Clipping
>
> This basically should replace the Nyquist clipfix plugin which had severe
> memory issues.
>
> Forgive me if this is a bit confusing.
> and Thankyou
> Danni
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:
> High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
> Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> audacity-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

Leland Lucius-4
I did something similar back in February:

http://audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=modules%2F&download=fixclipping.zip

But, Danni's might be better...I haven't checked it out yet.

Leland

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Martyn Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Danni

I just found this in my inbox whilst tidying up, and apologise that
you don't seem to have had any reply.

This sounds like a useful combination of current effects (but I
haven't tried it).  Does it work with the current code?

I note that we have in place now code that allows sample to have
samples bigger than +-1, so the workflow could be to not do 1) but do
an Amplify after the effect is applied.  Would that make the code simpler?

Also, this is not a plugin but a full-blown effect (that is, it has to
be part of the main code base, unless re-written as a module).

Please resubmit as a patch against the current CVS, so that we get all
the other code required (like changes to Menu).

TTFN
Martyn

Danni Coy wrote:
> I needed this functionality for a project I had. I have just cleaned up the to
> some degree. Please take a look and let me know if anything is needed for this
> to be accepted
>
> What does it do?
>
> Really easy one - Essentially combines the  FindClipping and Repair Plugins...
> Except still detects clipped areas that have been negatively amplified.
>
> Also the maximum number of samples to be repaired is configurable....
>
> Workflow is something like this --
>
> 1) Select everything, apply an amplify effect with a negative scaling to give
> you enough headroom to work with.
>
> 2) select region with multiple ciipped regions and apply Repair Clipping
>
> This basically should replace the Nyquist clipfix plugin which had severe
> memory issues.
>
> Forgive me if this is a bit confusing.
>       and Thankyou
>               Danni
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by:
> High Quality Requirements in a Collaborative Environment.
> Download a free trial of Rational Requirements Composer Now!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-ibm-com
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> audacity-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

Gale
Administrator
In reply to this post by Martyn Shaw-2

| From Martyn Shaw <[hidden email]>
| Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:47:00 +0100
| Subject: [Audacity-devel] (Patch) Repair Clipping Plugin...

> Hi Danni
>
> I just found this in my inbox whilst tidying up, and apologise that
> you don't seem to have had any reply.
>
> This sounds like a useful combination of current effects (but I
> haven't tried it).  Does it work with the current code?
>
> I note that we have in place now code that allows sample to have
> samples bigger than +-1, so the workflow could be to not do 1) but do
> an Amplify after the effect is applied.  Would that make the code simpler?
>
> Also, this is not a plugin but a full-blown effect (that is, it has to
> be part of the main code base, unless re-written as a module).
>
> Please resubmit as a patch against the current CVS, so that we get all
> the other code required (like changes to Menu).

A couple of points in favour of Clipfix. In a revised version
written by Stevethefiddle, it can cope with bad clipping that
has reversed the polarity:
http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4377

I never tested if Repair can do that.
   
Another thing that Clipfix can do is fix clipping if you select all of
a track, or a self-contained clip that has no audio either side of it.
Assuming the limitation in Repair that it has to look outside the
selection region stands, this could not replace Clipfix IMO. And
many users of Repair do not grasp that the width of the region
outside the clipped one affects the results.  
 
That said, there would be a lot of interest in a Repair effect that
did not have such a low 128 samples restriction. I never tried
Leland's version yet due to lack of time.  

Note that because of Nyquist improvements in 1.3.8, the
(considerable) memory used by Clipfix will now be freed after
the effect completes.



Gale


> Danni Coy wrote:
> > I needed this functionality for a project I had. I have just cleaned up the to
> > some degree. Please take a look and let me know if anything is needed for this
> > to be accepted
> >
> > What does it do?
> >
> > Really easy one - Essentially combines the  FindClipping and Repair Plugins...
> > Except still detects clipped areas that have been negatively amplified.
> >
> > Also the maximum number of samples to be repaired is configurable....
> >
> > Workflow is something like this --
> >
> > 1) Select everything, apply an amplify effect with a negative scaling to give
> > you enough headroom to work with.
> >
> > 2) select region with multiple ciipped regions and apply Repair Clipping
> >
> > This basically should replace the Nyquist clipfix plugin which had severe
> > memory issues.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel