Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

Paul Licameli
Has anybody besides me tried playing MIDI on Mac?

I have got it working by following some instructions here http://donyaquick.com/working-with-midi-on-mac-os-x/ to setup an IAC bus, then downloading the free SimpleSynth program recommended on that page.  And that is here. http://notahat.com/simplesynth/

That done, it all works like a charm for me.

Does anyone more knowledgeable than me want to recommend other and better resources for Mac users?  Are there other free software synths to recommend?

Has Peter written anything yet in Manual about Mac MIDI setup?

Re: Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

David Engebretson Jr.

Might be off topic, but I got it working on Windows7.  It doesn’t separate into channels (1drum track and 1 synth track) but it is pretty interesting to hear it all blobbed together.

I noticed experimental midi in isn’t enabled (according to the midi devices dialog under Help).  So I assume the only way to get midi in is to import a midi file).

Time to RTFM.

Great work guys!  Much fun.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:24 PM, David Engebretson Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might be off topic, but I got it working on Windows7.  It doesn’t separate into channels (1drum track and 1 synth track) but it is pretty interesting to hear it all blobbed together.

I noticed experimental midi in isn’t enabled (according to the midi devices dialog under Help).  So I assume the only way to get midi in is to import a midi file).

Time to RTFM.

Yes, MIDI out is all we intend for this release.  Also those last lines in the new Help dialog will be appended only in alpha versions.

PRL

Great work guys!  Much fun.

Re: Playing MIDI on Mac works for me.

David Engebretson Jr.

When I switch devices in the Edit->Preferences->Midi section, there is no change.  I’ve got several different devices available (lots of toys, er tools, connected).

What’s the best way to see why the output device isn’t changing?

Thanks,

David

rbd