Quantcast

Pre-history of the source tree

Paul Licameli
I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source

Is all that history just lost now?

The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?

Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Paul Licameli
I see there is still this:  http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/audacity/

But sould we find another home to mirror this old history, rather than rely stil on sourceforge?

And can we figure out how to make a git repository of it?  Even if that is not one with our present active repository.

I can't figure out from this browser fiew how one might simply download all history.

PRL

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source

Is all that history just lost now?

The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?

Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

James Crook
Paul...

There were two migrations.  One from Sourceforge to code.google.com, one
from code.google.com to GitHub.  The second one did preserve history.

Note that https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity-from-svn-5GB is a more
complete version of what was at code.google.com, including the website,
Mezzo, and SVN branches.

Yes, we can figure out how to make a Git repository of Audacity with the
full history, since we already did conversion for SVN to Git.

--James.

On 1/28/2017 3:52 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> I see there is still this:
> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/audacity/
>
> But sould we find another home to mirror this old history, rather than rely
> stil on sourceforge?
>
> And can we figure out how to make a git repository of it?  Even if that is
> not one with our present active repository.
>
> I can't figure out from this browser fiew how one might simply download all
> history.
>
> PRL
>

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can
>> no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source
>>
>> Is all that history just lost now?
>>
>> The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?
>>
>> Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to
>> another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?
>>
>> PRL

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Paul Licameli
Thank you, James!

Now I have a clone for reference on my Macbook.

Beware, clone it with --bare to avoid a huge tree.  Old svn branches are not stored as Git branches but as subdirectories in the tree.  Not the most convenient organization, but will do for reference and browsing with gitk.

I wanted to look at very old versions of Dominic's noise removal.  I used a view of */NoiseRemoval.cpp in gitk and that worked, substituting any number of folders for *.

I have also cloned sox and studied its noise reduction effect.  No new useful ideas for me there.  Funny, I found this comment in src/noisered.c:

    /* Audacity says this code will eliminate tinkle bells.
     * I have no idea what that means. */

PRL

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:21 PM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Paul...

There were two migrations.  One from Sourceforge to code.google.com, one
from code.google.com to GitHub.  The second one did preserve history.

Note that https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity-from-svn-5GB is a more
complete version of what was at code.google.com, including the website,
Mezzo, and SVN branches.

Yes, we can figure out how to make a Git repository of Audacity with the
full history, since we already did conversion for SVN to Git.

--James.

On 1/28/2017 3:52 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> I see there is still this:
> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/audacity/
>
> But sould we find another home to mirror this old history, rather than rely
> stil on sourceforge?
>
> And can we figure out how to make a git repository of it?  Even if that is
> not one with our present active repository.
>
> I can't figure out from this browser fiew how one might simply download all
> history.
>
> PRL
>

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can
>> no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source
>>
>> Is all that history just lost now?
>>
>> The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?
>>
>> Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to
>> another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?
>>
>> PRL

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 13:33:19 -0500
Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, James!
>
> Now I have a clone for reference on my Macbook.

This should be complete, i.e. include the CVS history from sourceforge
as well as the SVN history from google. When we migrated the code base
across I converted the entire CVS history (you could rsync it from
their servers at the time) into SVN history and pre-loaded it into
google, so that we were completely independent of Sourceforge at that
point.

So provided the git conversion worked OK (I haven't personally
checked), you should have the complete history to play with. A lot of
work was done on branches at some points in CVS, which I think became
SVN branches in the junk-branches top level directory? I can check if
necessary, because I made a lot of notes at the time.

Richard

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Unless I don't know the correct tricks, it is disappointingly hard
now to browse git online. The only link at the bottom of commit
lists is now "Older" (no "Newer") and the URL is now a hash
rather than a page number.

I know I should be using installed tools to browse, but even so.

Gale

On 28 January 2017 at 17:21, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul...
>
> There were two migrations.  One from Sourceforge to code.google.com, one
> from code.google.com to GitHub.  The second one did preserve history.
>
> Note that https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity-from-svn-5GB is a more
> complete version of what was at code.google.com, including the website,
> Mezzo, and SVN branches.
>
> Yes, we can figure out how to make a Git repository of Audacity with the
> full history, since we already did conversion for SVN to Git.
>
> --James.
>
> On 1/28/2017 3:52 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>> I see there is still this:
>> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/audacity/
>>
>> But sould we find another home to mirror this old history, rather than rely
>> stil on sourceforge?
>>
>> And can we figure out how to make a git repository of it?  Even if that is
>> not one with our present active repository.
>>
>> I can't figure out from this browser fiew how one might simply download all
>> history.
>>
>> PRL
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can
>>> no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source
>>>
>>> Is all that history just lost now?
>>>
>>> The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?
>>>
>>> Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to
>>> another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?
>>>
>>> PRL

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Paul Licameli
I recommend that you get acquainted with gitk.  Change current directory to your repository and launch gitk from the command line with the name of a commit or of files of interest, or both (in that order).  The top of the detail view of each commit has links to parent and child commits, and to the nearest tags in the history.  You can browse for commits containing some string in the comments, or restrict the view to those commits affecting selected files.  And so on.

PRL

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unless I don't know the correct tricks, it is disappointingly hard
now to browse git online. The only link at the bottom of commit
lists is now "Older" (no "Newer") and the URL is now a hash
rather than a page number.

I know I should be using installed tools to browse, but even so.

Gale

On 28 January 2017 at 17:21, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Paul...
>
> There were two migrations.  One from Sourceforge to code.google.com, one
> from code.google.com to GitHub.  The second one did preserve history.
>
> Note that https://github.com/JamesCrook/audacity-from-svn-5GB is a more
> complete version of what was at code.google.com, including the website,
> Mezzo, and SVN branches.
>
> Yes, we can figure out how to make a Git repository of Audacity with the
> full history, since we already did conversion for SVN to Git.
>
> --James.
>
> On 1/28/2017 3:52 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>> I see there is still this:
>> http://audacity.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/audacity/
>>
>> But sould we find another home to mirror this old history, rather than rely
>> stil on sourceforge?
>>
>> And can we figure out how to make a git repository of it?  Even if that is
>> not one with our present active repository.
>>
>> I can't figure out from this browser fiew how one might simply download all
>> history.
>>
>> PRL
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried looking for old source for Audacity at archive.google.com and can
>>> no longer find it.  https://code.google.com/archive/p/audacity/source
>>>
>>> Is all that history just lost now?
>>>
>>> The migrated git reposistory has nothing before January, 2010.  Why not?
>>>
>>> Is there still some place to find the really old code, and migrate it to
>>> another .git archive for safe keeping and reference?
>>>
>>> PRL

Re: Pre-history of the source tree

Vaughan Johnson-4
Maybe worth noting that moving from Sourceforge CVS to Google Code SVN
lost attributions on what was then Ohloh.  I think we each had to link
our separate accounts back, to get it right.

After the 2nd move, it looks like BlackDuck (descendant of Ohloh  on
OpenHub , https://www.openhub.net/p/59?p=Audacity, has only the Git
commits.  So now, for instance, it says all I ever did for Audacity is
website XML (!).   And that Audacity's first commit ever was in 2010,
etc.

Any of you who know these ports able to modify the Github refs to make
BlackDuck extend back to first SF commits in 2000, so it's accurate
for all of us?

Thanks,
Vaughan