Preparing for a release

Markus Meyer
Hi everyone,

first, thanks everyone for the patches you submitted in the last weeks.
Most of them have already been applied to HEAD, but not to the 1.2
branch. For a release, the following things remain to be discussed:

* What's up with the Bugzilla? A working Bugzilla seems very necessary
for a release management to me. I believe that it has something to do
with Sourceforge restricting write access for web application. Can we
move the Bugzilla to audacityteam.org? Who has the rights and expertise
to do this?

BTW, in the meantime you can still look at the list of bugs here,
although you cannot change anything:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

* Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both? I'm all
in favor for dropping support for 1.2 and going straight to beta 1.3,
because there are lots of vast improvements in internal code in 1.3,
which will never make it into 1.2. Other arguments to consider:

- Audacity 1.2.3 already works fairly well. Releasing 1.2.4 with only
some bugs fixed (and some not) will only create more support requests
- We can release 1.3 without having known bugs fixed, because it is a
beta version ;-)
- We can do major changes to the appearance while 1.3 is out, because it
is a beta version
- We can concentrate on one codebase and not write patches for two
distinct branches
- People may be irritated if they see that it took us a year to fix like
3 bugs or so (Audacity 1.2.3 was released on 19 Nov 04).

I agree that there are some bugs in 1.2.3 that are worth fixing, but
then again we may not be able to fix some of them now (e.g. Mac OS X
Tiger support). So maybe it would be better to just release a document
to describe the known issues in 1.2.3, and go with a 1.3 release.

I believe it would be best to just vote on the former issue (on the
audacity-devel list), and accept whatever result comes out. So cast your
votes now! ;-)

* Are there still any effects left that don't work? Monty said that the
equalizer is still flawed, and I generally believe Monty everything he
says about sound processing. But maybe the equalizer is now at least
"good-enough" for general use.

* Who can solve the Mac OS X / Tiger and Firewire problems? This would
really be a nice-to-have! Though I think a release would still be useful
without support for Mac OS X (we should just make this clear in the
release notes).

* Should we drop support for Linux OSS? Should we try to get both ALSA
and OSS working in one build (I think Portaudio HEAD supports this?)

Markus

Re: Preparing for a release

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
Markus Meyer said:
> * Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both? I'm all
> in favor for dropping support for 1.2 and going straight to beta 1.3,
> because there are lots of vast improvements in internal code in 1.3,
> which will never make it into 1.2. Other arguments to consider:
>
> - Audacity 1.2.3 already works fairly well. Releasing 1.2.4 with only
> some bugs fixed (and some not) will only create more support requests
Maybe, but a lot of users are aware there is a 1.2.4 bugfix release
around, and some fixes (like proper stereo pitch shifting) have been sat
around for ages waiting for a release.
I'm not sure how much having an acknowledgely buggy 1.3 beta out will
actually help a lot of users - they don't want a major update, they want
something that is stable and reliable.

I would hesitate to use 1.3 for many of the jobs I do, becuase I know I
won't listening to all of the edited audio closely to look for faults
caused by audacity. I push audio in, and assume it comes out with only the
changes I made to it. I can trust 1.2.4 CVS builds to do this, and some of
the fixes not in 1.2.3 are very useful.

> - We can release 1.3 without having known bugs fixed, because it is a
> beta version ;-)
> - We can do major changes to the appearance while 1.3 is out, because it
> is a beta version
I agree - a beta release, that really is beta so people don't expect it to
work perfectly, would be nice to get wider comment on the changes and find
platform-specific bugs.

> - We can concentrate on one codebase and not write patches for two
> distinct branches
I agree - 1.2.4 ought to be announced as the las 1.2.x release, used to
wrap up all the work that has been done in 1.2 series, and then
concentrate on 1.3 going forward, with 1.2.4 as a reasonably solid last
stable version for people to use whilst 1.3 is unstable.

> - People may be irritated if they see that it took us a year to fix like
> 3 bugs or so (Audacity 1.2.3 was released on 19 Nov 04).
There are a lot of bugs that have been fixed for ages that can go on the
released notes - hard to say without bugzilla, but the soundtouch changes,
newer versions of all libraries in the binaries (need to update CVS),
compressor and equaliser fixes, FLAC import. Also, I would liek to see the
new version built with more up-to-date toolchains on Windows and Mac to
see if that helps the binary compatability issues - building the current
windows release with VC6 may partly be responsible for the XP issues that
have surfaced recently.
I would be interested to know if building audacity on Tiger helped with
the various Tiger-specific problems. At the end of the month I may be able
to get a freind to do a Tiger build to see if we can test this.

> I believe it would be best to just vote on the former issue (on the
> audacity-devel list), and accept whatever result comes out. So cast your
> votes now! ;-)
>
> * Should we drop support for Linux OSS? Should we try to get both ALSA
> and OSS working in one build (I think Portaudio HEAD supports this?)
You can get support for OSS and ALSA (and buggily for JACK) is 1.2 or 1.3
by using portaudio v19 (--with-portaudio=v19). However the CVS snapshot
that ships in CVS or with the tarball is very old and often doesn't work,
getting the current snapshot from www.portaudio.com and using it to
replace libsrc/portaudio-v19 works fine for me.

Richard

Re: Preparing for a release

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 9/7/05, Richard Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > - People may be irritated if they see that it took us a year to fix like
> > 3 bugs or so (Audacity 1.2.3 was released on 19 Nov 04).
> There are a lot of bugs that have been fixed for ages that can go on the
> released notes - hard to say without bugzilla, but the soundtouch changes,
> newer versions of all libraries in the binaries (need to update CVS),
> compressor and equaliser fixes, FLAC import.

If you are going to inslude FLAC import functionality to 1.2.4, which
is about tobe the last 1.2.x series release, then it needs a lot of
testing.

Alexandre

Re: Preparing for a release

Markus Meyer wrote:

 > * Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both?

I plan to work only on CVS head.  Our aim should be, in my opinion, to
get a stable 1.3 beta out.  We should be able to get 1.3 as stable as
1.2 is in the features they share.  Once that is so, there are
compelling reasons for keeping the focus on 1.3.

--James

Re: Preparing for a release

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
Alexandre Prokoudine said:
> If you are going to inslude FLAC import functionality to 1.2.4, which
> is about tobe the last 1.2.x series release, then it needs a lot of
> testing.
Very true, and it isn't their yet (I've got a file that breaks it, so it
is broken until I make that work), but there has been no significant
change the in the head FLAC importer for the last 6 months, so it seems to
be pretty stable there.  Part of the point of doing the 1.2.4 port (apart
from the fact we said we would about 12 months ago) was to make it easier
to test the importer more.

If I don't get it to work, then I agree better to drop it than have buggy
support.

Richard

Re: Preparing for a release

mgbrubeck
Markus Meyer wrote:

> * What's up with the Bugzilla? A working Bugzilla seems very necessary
> for a release management to me. I believe that it has something to do
> with Sourceforge restricting write access for web application. Can we
> move the Bugzilla to audacityteam.org? Who has the rights and
> expertise to do this?

I can help move Bugzilla to another host, but only Dominic has access to
audacityteam.org.  I can work on that this weekend.  If Dominic has time
to help out then, we can move it to audacityteam; otherwise I'll put it
in a temporary location for now.

> * Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both?

Please do release 1.2.4.  There are many new and updated translations in
1.2.4 that the translators would like to see released.  There are also
several minor but noticeable fixes (see the README file for details).

But I do think that this should be the last 1.2 release, and that 1.3
beta should be in the spotlight now.

Re: Preparing for a release

Martyn Shaw
I'd go for 1.2.4 stable followed by the 1.3.0 beta just after in the hope that users would use the 1.2.4 with it's few bug fixes and then try 1.3.0 and feed back some useful comments.  But I've no idea how much work is involved.

Martyn

* Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both?

Re: Preparing for a release

Dan Albers
On Wednesday 07 September 2005 01:59 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'd go for 1.2.4 stable followed by the 1.3.0 beta just after in the hope
> that users would use the 1.2.4 with it's few bug fixes and then try 1.3.0
> and feed back some useful comments.  But I've no idea how much work is
> involved.
>
> Martyn
>
> In a message dated 07/09/2005 07:51:16 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email]
> writes:
>
> * Should  we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or  both?

Please do not break the FreeBSD 1.2 port. A 1.3 port
in /usr/ports/audacity-devel would also be useful. We actually use Audacity
in production. Thanks for all your hard work.
Dan.

--
Dan Albers
Director of Computer Services

Re: Preparing for a release

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
Dan Albers wrote:

>Please do not break the FreeBSD 1.2 port. A 1.3 port
>in /usr/ports/audacity-devel would also be useful. We actually use Audacity
>in production. Thanks for all your hard work.
>Dan.

And KPFA is a wonderful radio station!

-Vaughan (in SF)

Re: Preparing for a release

dmazzoni

On Sep 7, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Matt Brubeck wrote:

> Markus Meyer wrote:
>

>> * What's up with the Bugzilla? A working Bugzilla seems very
>> necessary
>> for a release management to me. I believe that it has something to do
>> with Sourceforge restricting write access for web application. Can we
>> move the Bugzilla to audacityteam.org? Who has the rights and
>> expertise to do this?
>>

> I can help move Bugzilla to another host, but only Dominic has
> access to
> audacityteam.org.  I can work on that this weekend.  If Dominic has
> time
> to help out then, we can move it to audacityteam; otherwise I'll
> put it
> in a temporary location for now.

Thanks for taking the lead on this, Matt.  Since it's only used by
developers and not by the general public I don't think it matters
where we host it, so if you can get it set up, that's great.

>> * Should we release a bugfixed 1.2, a beta-version 1.3 or both?
>>

> Please do release 1.2.4.  There are many new and updated
> translations in
> 1.2.4 that the translators would like to see released.  There are also
> several minor but noticeable fixes (see the README file for details).
>
> But I do think that this should be the last 1.2 release, and that 1.3
> beta should be in the spotlight now.

I agree.  I think if we try to release 1.2.4 and 1.3 beta at the same
time, people won't be upset that 1.2.4 doesn't have any new features.

There are only two features I think are worth spending a tiny bit of
time on for 1.2.4:
* Making it compile out of the box with either wx 2.4 or wx 2.6 (if
it doesn't already)
* Make it reject 1.3 project files

After that, I totally agree we should drop it and try to make 1.3
stable enough for everyone to use.

Note about Tiger compatibility: Audacity works fine for me on Tiger,
so I'm not entirely clear what all of the problems are.  My guess is
that most Tiger users have no problems, but we're only hearing from
those who are.  I propose to keep things simpler for development that
version 1.3.0 require OS X 10.3 or higher; I can't even compile wx
2.6 in OS X 10.2-compatibility mode.

Finally, you're all aware I've had little time to help out lately,
and I'm sorry about that, but please know:

* If there is a specific bug that you think I might be the most
qualified to fix, let me know (cc:ing my personal address is OK, I'll
see it quicker) and I'll take a look

* When you're ready for builds, I will do the Mac builds.

- Dominic

Re: Preparing for a release

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 07:09 -0700, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> Please do release 1.2.4.  There are many new and updated translations in
> 1.2.4 that the translators would like to see released.  There are also
> several minor but noticeable fixes (see the README file for details).

I think the 1.2.4 pre-release at
  http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/1.2.4/
is ready to be released, providing that all the translation updates are
in.

So the main questions are:
1) Are there any translations that have been sent in but not committed
to CVS? These need to be added in.
2) Can we get the other patches into CVS, and generate the files
necessary to go for string freeze ASAP and get the updates done.
3) Can we get builds for Windows and OS X done and any problems caught.

My thought is that we can go to pre-release without waiting for
translations, and get as wide a test as possible to find potential bugs,
before doing a final release with no string changes, just fixes to any
problems that come up.

I can trawl through the audacity-translation list to do 1 if necessary,
but I can't do 2 or 3, certainly for windows. I may be able to get a
friend to have a go at an OS X build, but not sure.

Richard

Re: Preparing for a release

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 01:34 -0700, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
> * Make it reject 1.3 project files
What progress is there on this - where do I start telling them apart?

> * When you're ready for builds, I will do the Mac builds.
I've no idea if the 1.2.4 pre-release will build against wx 2.4, but I
hope it will. We could do with finding out pretty soon if there are
issues.

Richard

Re: Preparing for a release

dmazzoni
On Oct 3, 2005, at 4:29 PM, Richard Ash wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 01:34 -0700, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
>
>> * Make it reject 1.3 project files
>>
> What progress is there on this - where do I start telling them apart?

I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea that Audacity 1.3 project
files won't be rejected by Audacity 1.2.3, since millions of people
have that version.  There's a very easy way that we can cause
Audacity 1.3 project files to be rejected by Audacity 1.2.3 - change
the outermost XML tag from <audacityproject> to something else -
perhaps <hierarchical_audacityproject> or something like that to
reflect the fact that the major change is its hierarchical
organization of data files.  If we did this (I just tested it), all
previous versions of Audacity would give a generic "Error opening
project file" message.  This is far better behavior than what 1.2.3
does now when it gets a 1.3.0 project file, which is to import the
tracks but then not be able to find the audio files.  This could
easily cause you to lose your 1.3.0 project.

Here's the comprehensive fix I propose:

* Audacity 1.3.0 should use a new tag name instead of
<audacityproject>.  Suggestions for the new name are welcome.

* Audacity 1.2.4 should be patched so that it gives an intelligent
error message if it sees this new tag, or if it sees a newer version
number than it is supposed to understand (stupidly, it doesn't
currently check the version number).

* When Audacity 1.3.0 sees the old <audacityproject> tag, it should
pop up an dialog box warning the user that convering a 1.2.x project
to 1.3 is not fully supported and that they should back up all data
first, and give them an option to cancel.  I have no idea how much
work it would be to finish support for converting to the new format,
but it needs _extensive_ testing before average users should be
attempting it.

All of this logic would go in AudacityProject::HandleXMLTag, by the
way, if anyone wants to add it...

- Dominic

>> * When you're ready for builds, I will do the Mac builds.
>>
> I've no idea if the 1.2.4 pre-release will build against wx 2.4, but I
> hope it will. We could do with finding out pretty soon if there are
> issues.

I've kept a good stable copy of wxMac 2.4 on my system specifically
so I can keep building Audacity 1.2.x without dealing with potential
wx uncertainty.  Audacity 1.2.4 builds fine for me and it is no
trouble for me to create and upload a build.

By the way, Audacity 1.3.0 will use wxMac 2.6.2 and will require Mac
OS X 10.3.

- Dominic

Re: Preparing for a release

dmazzoni
For testing:

   http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-macosx-1.2.4pre1.dmg

Re: Preparing for a release

Tino Meinen
Op do, 06-10-2005 te 01:24 -0700, schreef Dominic Mazzoni:

> * Audacity 1.3.0 should use a new tag name instead of
> <audacityproject>.  Suggestions for the new name are welcome.

Well, perhaps putting the version number in the tag is possible? like
<audacityproject-1.3.0> or something (or 1.3).

Tino

Re: Preparing for a release

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 10/6/05, Tino Meinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op do, 06-10-2005 te 01:24 -0700, schreef Dominic Mazzoni:
> >
> > * Audacity 1.3.0 should use a new tag name instead of
> > <audacityproject>.  Suggestions for the new name are welcome.
>
> Well, perhaps putting the version number in the tag is possible? like
> <audacityproject-1.3.0> or something (or 1.3).

IMHO, version should be stored in XML declaration tag and nowhere else

Alexandre

RE: Preparing for a release To: Dominic

Tom-27

Dominic can you send me a link to test the pre 1.2.4 for windows xp SP/2

RE: Preparing for a release To: Dominic

Tom-27
I believe this download is for the Mac OSX. I have a Pc with Intel products.
My IE will not open that file.
Tom

Tom schrieb:

>I believe this download is for the Mac OSX. I have a Pc with Intel products.
>My IE will not open that file.

Tom,

a binary for Windows has not yet been made.

Markus

RE: Preparing for a release To: Marcus

Tom-27
Thanks Marcus.