Problem with Audacity

DemBex
Hi there,

I have a severe problem with Audacity - this bad I cannot use it anymore for
recording.
Problem = during recording from any source, the intensity (volume) is not
constant. Especially when voices are heard, the volume is changing all the time
(as if there is some auto-correction going on).
I am using Windows XP and the problem occurs with all versions of Audacity
(currently using 1.0.0.) I have downloaded.
Note: Audacity 1.0.0. is also installed on another PC, but there it works fine !
On the problem PC, Audio device is C-Media Wave

Anyone else already encountered this problem, and knows how to solve?

Sbx

Re: Problem with Audacity

 DemBex said : I have a severe problem with Audacity
Problem = during recording from any source, the intensity (volume) is not
constant. Especially when voices are heard, the volume is changing all the time
(as if there is some auto-correction going on).
I am using Windows XP , Audio device is C-Media Wave

Yes I have same OS and card as you and no one has ever solved this for me. I have not had time to try on another machine with another card. However it is not Audacity problem, it occurs with any recorder app either from stereo mix or wave, and also occurs if you set the Windows Sound Mapper as the device rather than C - Media.  The effect is of a weird dynamic range enhancement and I have downloaded more than a few MP3s with this effect so it is not unheard of .......

Outbound message certified clean.

0528-5, 15 07 2005
Tested on: 16/07/2005 20:25:51

Re: Problem with Audacity

Rich-2
I know absolute nothing specific about this subject (you'd think that would stop me from replying, wouldn't you?), other than some years of general experience, but to me, this would seem to be some setting  you can enable or disable using the configuration utility for your C-Media Wave card.  It doesn't seem unusual to me that a sound card would include configurable compression and/or gain management features that default to the 'on' position.  Has anyone tried contacting the manufacturer of the sound card?

Tested on: 16/07/2005 20:25:51

Re: Problem with Audacity

Vaughan Johnson
I think you'll get better help with this on the help list rather than
the users list, so I'm forwarding it there. I suspect Rich was right,
that the problem is in a setting on your sound card, not Audacity, but
maybe Mr Audacity-Help (Richard Ash) has a better answer.

DemBex wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a severe problem with Audacity - this bad I cannot use it anymore for
>recording.
>Problem = during recording from any source, the intensity (volume) is not
>constant. Especially when voices are heard, the volume is changing all the time
>(as if there is some auto-correction going on).
>I am using Windows XP and the problem occurs with all versions of Audacity
>(currently using 1.0.0.) I have downloaded.
>Note: Audacity 1.0.0. is also installed on another PC, but there it works fine !
>On the problem PC, Audio device is C-Media Wave
>
>Anyone else already encountered this problem, and knows how to solve?
>
>Sbx

>from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
>informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
>speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click

Re: [Audacity-help] Re: Problem with Audacity

Richard Ash (audacity-help)
On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 16:44 -0700, Vaughan Johnson wrote:
> >I have a severe problem with Audacity - this bad I cannot use it anymore for
> >recording.
> >Problem = during recording from any source, the intensity (volume) is not
> >constant. Especially when voices are heard, the volume is changing all the time
> >(as if there is some auto-correction going on).
> >I am using Windows XP and the problem occurs with all versions of Audacity
> >(currently using 1.0.0.) I have downloaded.
> >Note: Audacity 1.0.0. is also installed on another PC, but there it works fine !
> >On the problem PC, Audio device is C-Media Wave

I think if you start up windows volume control, and do Options >
Properties > Recording to get to the recording settings view, you will
find an "Advanced" button (I haven't got windows in front of me).

If you click on the Advanced button, you will probably find some
settings, including ones marked "automatic level control", "automatic
gain control", "prevent feedback" etc. Uncheck the boxes to turn them
off. Almost anything else on this tab should be turned off, especially
if it is called "automatic"!

Richard Ash