Progress towards release.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Progress towards release.

James Crook
Trying out the new highlighting of buttons / sliders that Paul added,
and I added images for - I really like it.  It makes a bigger difference
than I expected.  It is also really good that MIDI_OUT is becoming cross
platform.

Yesterday I regenerated the .pot file and .po file, and the translators
on Transifex now have it, though I haven't yet sent translators a
message to say how long they have to translate it. I've a feeling this
won't be the final .pot file though, so I'd like to give translators an
accurate 'heads up'.

Paul, how realistic do you think the schedule on
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Next_Release is?  There are 7 open P1s
(to close) mostly on MIDI and 48 P2s (to review) before a test release,
and some build issues being worked through.  There is also signing to
get sorted.  There's also the {{ednotes}} in the manual issue.  I'd say
the schedule is a long way from realistic, and needs an update to take
those into account.  What's your thinking Paul?  Could you update the
schedule?


--James.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Progress towards release.

Paul Licameli


On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trying out the new highlighting of buttons / sliders that Paul added, and I added images for - I really like it.  It makes a bigger difference than I expected.  It is also really good that MIDI_OUT is becoming cross platform.

Yesterday I regenerated the .pot file and .po file, and the translators on Transifex now have it, though I haven't yet sent translators a message to say how long they have to translate it. I've a feeling this won't be the final .pot file though, so I'd like to give translators an accurate 'heads up'.

Paul, how realistic do you think the schedule on http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Next_Release is?  There are 7 open P1s (to close) mostly on MIDI and 48 P2s (to review) before a test release, and some build issues being worked through.  There is also signing to get sorted.  There's also the {{ednotes}} in the manual issue.  I'd say the schedule is a long way from realistic, and needs an update to take those into account.  What's your thinking Paul?  Could you update the schedule?


--James.


One thing I still need to address before a beta build is doing the expat upgrade, properly, and to 2.2.2.

I think the bug situation is not dire, as explained below.

Tell me, what measure of completeness of manual and translations is a requirement for a beta or "KTT" build as opposed to a release candidate?  I am not clear on the distinction.  I was wondering if an early good enough Beta could still be done next week though the other dates might recede some for further updates and bug fixing.

If a complete manual update is needed, then Peter should report on that.

As for the P1s not yet fixed (I fixed the one for Midi stretch just today): there now are just two.  Really one.

This http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567 was the intermittent problem on Sierra that vexed us at the end of last year.  We found an imperfect fix at best to an intermittent problem.  But we released.  And correct me but I am not now aware that there is much complaint about this problem at the Forum.  Therefore, I say this should be demoted to P2.

This http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1689 is the Linux build problem I am relying on Steve and Poke to figure out.  Remember Poke does not have commit privileges.  I cherry-picked one proposed fx for it today, but did not confirm it for myself.  I don't understand the details, and this one is making me feel some FUD, but it sounds like convergence on some solution is happening.

So, P1s do not look bad.

About the big new feature of Midi playback, I am equipped to try it out on the other two out of three platforms, and it sounds good to me, trying not just play but pause, Esc, pinned playhead, quick play, looping, cut preview, play at speed, time tracks, mix with a wave track, etc.  I wrote an email earlier about the many cases to exercise -- see email thread "MIDI playback cases; no scrub or seek"  Has anybody else played around and found any anomalies?  (Steve has admitted that his recent report of a lack of a notes-off message on Mac was a false alarm.)

As for P2s, we may need to accept some triage if we don't want more delay in release.  Which are the P2s that only describe problems not known at 2.1.3 release time?

Unfixed P2s later than 17 March are these few:

Reopened issues should be considered too.  P2s marked reopened since 17 Mar are just one:

So it's those few bugs that need the most push now.

PRL


 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Progress towards release.

James Crook
On 7/20/2017 4:40 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:03 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Trying out the new highlighting of buttons / sliders that Paul added, and
>> I added images for - I really like it.  It makes a bigger difference than I
>> expected.  It is also really good that MIDI_OUT is becoming cross platform.
>>
>> Yesterday I regenerated the .pot file and .po file, and the translators on
>> Transifex now have it, though I haven't yet sent translators a message to
>> say how long they have to translate it. I've a feeling this won't be the
>> final .pot file though, so I'd like to give translators an accurate 'heads
>> up'.
>>
>> Paul, how realistic do you think the schedule on
>> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Next_Release is?  There are 7 open P1s
>> (to close) mostly on MIDI and 48 P2s (to review) before a test release, and
>> some build issues being worked through.  There is also signing to get
>> sorted.  There's also the {{ednotes}} in the manual issue.  I'd say the
>> schedule is a long way from realistic, and needs an update to take those
>> into account.  What's your thinking Paul?  Could you update the schedule?
>>
>>
>> --James.
>>
>>
> One thing I still need to address before a beta build is doing the expat
> upgrade, properly, and to 2.2.2.
>
> I think the bug situation is not dire, as explained below.
>
> Tell me, what measure of completeness of manual and translations is a
> requirement for a beta or "KTT" build as opposed to a release candidate?

That is up to you sir.  I would say that the manual is already usable
for a KTT.  Of course Peter would like it better/perfect to get feedback
on actual errors and omissions, but in terms of users using it to find
their way around for KTT, it surpasses what is required.  We do need to
check that any new feature of note-track that we want tried out are
described, so that people will find them.

These are pages that have P1's for the manual as far as actual release
is concerned.
http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/ToDo-1

Translation is really all about communication.  E.g. if we tell
translators that we are doing a KTT in a week's time, because there is a
lot new to test, they can decide whether they want to hit that date, or
shoot for when we start building the RCs.  We will likely have Danish
Italian and German in time for the KTT.


> I am not clear on the distinction.  I was wondering if an early good enough
> Beta could still be done next week though the other dates might recede some
> for further updates and bug fixing.
Are you going to sign the KTT or not?  If you provide it signed, with
manual, with translations, obviously when you get to RCs there is less
new for you, and less new risk.


> If a complete manual update is needed, then Peter should report on that.
>
> As for the P1s not yet fixed (I fixed the one for Midi stretch just today):
> there now are just two.  Really one.
No.  There are 7 P1s.  They are P1s until they are actually closed. You
shouldn't release the KTT until the P1s are closed (or are demoted) IMO.

> This http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1567 was the
> intermittent problem on Sierra that vexed us at the end of last year.  We
> found an imperfect fix at best to an intermittent problem.  But we
> released.  And correct me but I am not now aware that there is much
> complaint about this problem at the Forum.  Therefore, I say this should be
> demoted to P2.
Assuming we do demote it, it will ultimately be your decision whether to
mention it in release announcement for the actual release or not.
Bug 1567 argues to me that the KTT should be signed, at least for Mac.



> This http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1689 is the Linux
> build problem I am relying on Steve and Poke to figure out.  Remember Poke
> does not have commit privileges.  I cherry-picked one proposed fx for it
> today, but did not confirm it for myself.  I don't understand the details,
> and this one is making me feel some FUD, but it sounds like convergence on
> some solution is happening.
>
> So, P1s do not look bad.
>
> About the big new feature of Midi playback, I am equipped to try it out on
> the other two out of three platforms, and it sounds good to me, trying not
> just play but pause, Esc, pinned playhead, quick play, looping, cut
> preview, play at speed, time tracks, mix with a wave track, etc.  I wrote
> an email earlier about the many cases to exercise -- see email thread "MIDI
> playback cases; no scrub or seek"  Has anybody else played around and found
> any anomalies?  (Steve has admitted that his recent report of a lack of a
> notes-off message on Mac was a false alarm.)
>
> As for P2s, we may need to accept some triage if we don't want more delay
> in release.  Which are the P2s that only describe problems not known at
> 2.1.3 release time?
>
> Unfixed P2s later than 17 March are these few:
> http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&
> bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&f1=bug_id&list_id=
> 10250&o1=greaterthaneq&priority=P2&query_format=advanced&v1=1608
1627 and 1676 look pretty important to me.


>
> Reopened issues should be considered too.  P2s marked reopened since 17 Mar
> are just one:
> http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=REOP
> ENED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2017-03-17&chfieldto=
> Now&chfieldvalue=REOPENED&list_id=10253&priority=P2&query_format=advanced
>
> So it's those few bugs that need the most push now.
>
> PRL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Loading...