Quick prototype project for customizing the TCP layout

Quick prototype project for customizing the TCP layout

Paul Licameli
Look at what I did in this branch in my fork.

Add a "Customize" menu item to the track menu, which allows you to permute the sequence of items.  So you could put the text items where you please.

It is interesting for Wave track and Note track with EXPERIMENTAL_MIDI_OUT.  Not so much for the other two types.

This does not yet write preferences so that the changes survive restart of the program.

I did not implement deletion of items, but that would not add much difficulty.  So you could delete the text items as you please.  That difference between Dark Audacity and master could be chosen dynamically rather than hard-coded.

I do not intend to elaborate this for 2.2.0, but it is one example of something that became quicker to do with some of the recent refactorings -- not the big recent thing about clicks and drags, but the smaller side project of describing the track panel layout by a table rather than a procedure.

An elaboration might include a palette of other optional items you could drag into the layout.  And we might devise a plug-in protocol for adding items.   It would be an interesting exercise to spin off the simple text lines as plug-in items, then define novel information items, like duration.

https://github.com/Paul-Licameli/audacity/commit/c3eae935dcb85c42eb47c697675b2e65f79df783