Quantcast

RE: Error opening sound device.....

Terry Roberts
Error while opening sound device.  Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate"

I'm using a Griffin iMic USB/MacOSX 10.4.4/15"FlatPanel iMac

It will work if Audacity is set to input Mono--but not stereo.
I've seen this problem pop up often in the discussion forum, so I know it's not just something I'm doing wrong.

This appears to be a Griffin iMic problem--since the Audio/Midi Setup utility dims out the stereo channels when the iMic is selected as input device and only activates the Mono channel.

I wonder why "Final Vinyl" and "GarageBand" will both record in stereo--is it because they don't use the same resources as Audacity in setting the input channels?

Neither of these applications will save "multiple files" at once, as far as I can tell, so I would much prefer using Audacity.

Has anyone contacted Griffin Technologies concerning this?

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: RE: Error opening sound device.....

Jack Cook-2
Hi Terry,

Don't what's going on here, but I'm wondering it it's your soundcard. I
use Audacity on Mac OS 10.3.9, with the Griffin iMic, and I am able to
record in stereo. It works just fine. Make sure the Griffin iMic is
selected as the input in the OS system preferences, in the sound
portion. If it isn't this might affect how Audacity sees it.

Jack

Terry Roberts wrote:

>Error while opening sound device.  Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate"
>
>I'm using a Griffin iMic USB/MacOSX 10.4.4/15"FlatPanel iMac
>
>It will work if Audacity is set to input Mono--but not stereo.
>I've seen this problem pop up often in the discussion forum, so I know it's not just something I'm doing wrong.
>
>This appears to be a Griffin iMic problem--since the Audio/Midi Setup utility dims out the stereo channels when the iMic is selected as input device and only activates the Mono channel.
>
>I wonder why "Final Vinyl" and "GarageBand" will both record in stereo--is it because they don't use the same resources as Audacity in setting the input channels?
>
>Neither of these applications will save "multiple files" at once, as far as I can tell, so I would much prefer using Audacity.
>
>Has anyone contacted Griffin Technologies concerning this?

John E. Cook
Graphic Services
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
MS#5, 266 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA, USA 02543
email: [hidden email]
phone: 508-289-4837
fax: 508-457-2182

RE: Error opening sound device.....

Terry Roberts

I have iMic selected as input in the System Sound Preferences and in the Audio Midi Setup (found in Utilities folder), which dims out the Stereo level settings and leaves only the Mono level setting,  and in Audacity Preferences.  Audacity allows me to select "2 channel" but gives the error message when I try to record in Audacity.  It works when "Mono" is selected in Audacity's prefs.  As for the sound card--it's built into the flat-panel iMac, so I don't have any recourse there.  Thanks for your response.

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:08:58 -0400
From: Jack Cook <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] RE: Error opening sound device.....

Terry Roberts wrote:

>Error while opening sound device.  Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate"
>
>I'm using a Griffin iMic USB/MacOSX 10.4.4/15"FlatPanel iMac
>
>It will work if Audacity is set to input Mono--but not stereo.
>I've seen this problem pop up often in the discussion forum, so I know it's not just something I'm doing wrong.
>
>This appears to be a Griffin iMic problem--since the Audio/Midi Setup utility dims out the stereo channels when the iMic is selected as input device and only activates the Mono channel.
>
>I wonder why "Final Vinyl" and "GarageBand" will both record in stereo--is it because they don't use the same resources as Audacity in setting the input channels?
>
>Neither of these applications will save "multiple files" at once, as far as I can tell, so I would much prefer using Audacity.
>
>Has anyone contacted Griffin Technologies concerning this?

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment