Range of MIDI numbers?

David R. Sky
In Nyquist, what are the starting and ending MIDI numbers? For example,
middle C is 60, what are the lowest and highest possible numbers?

I looked through Roger's online manual but couldn't find these numbers.

Thanks

David

Re: Range of MIDI numbers?

edgar-rft

Hi David,

according to the MIDI specification the lowest is MIDI Number 0 that
equals to C0 and the highest is MIDI number 127 that equals to G10

But I haven't tested this in Audacity right now.

- edgar

the rest is a transcription of your original request

[hidden email] schrieb am 27.11.05 09:06:24:

> In Nyquist, what are the starting and ending MIDI numbers? For example,
> middle C is 60, what are the lowest and highest possible numbers?
>
> I looked through Roger's online manual but couldn't find these numbers.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

Re: Range of MIDI numbers?

edgar-rft

Hi David,

answer part two:

just tested with Audacity 1.2.3 and the Nyquist prompt:

(osc 0) gives a sine wave with a frequency od 8.175 Hz (very low)
(osc 127) gives a sine wave with a frequency of 12543 Hz (very high)

but with nyquist you can go further:

(osc 135) gives an (aliased) frequency of 19912 Hz (approx. 20 kHz)
(osc -10) gives a frequency of 4.588 Hz. It's so low that I can only see
the speakers moving but I cannot hear anything.

You can calculate the frequency with (step-to-hz midi-number)
or the midi number out of a frequency with (hz-to-step frequency)

I think the MIDI functions in Nyquist are only limited by the XLisp range
of FIXNUMS or FLONUMS. I think in Nyquist you even can have fractional
MIDI numbers.

More experiments have to follow.

- edgar

the rest is the transcription of your original request

--
The author of this email does not necessarily endorse the
following advertisements, which are the sole responsibility